Author Topic: Hallo and How many times to test a day is acceptable?  (Read 766 times)

Offline Blueduck

Hallo and How many times to test a day is acceptable?
« on: 09 March 2017, 10:08:35 AM »
First time posting. Diagnosed as diabetic in 2009. On gliclazide, them metformin, then added something else that sent my eyes funny, cant remember the name, then changed to a mixed insulin. All going well until about a year ago. Tried several different mixed - 25/75, 35/45, 50/50,  insulins.  None worked, as bs levels were up and down all the time. End of Jan was changed to Humalog, and Humalin at night. Took a few weeks, but I have the best levels I have had for ages. Also carb counting. Get a few glitches, but in general, pretty good. Trouble is, I seem to be compulsively testing, and wondered how many times? Does it matter?  Also, am not sure what type of diabetic I am, as the Dr said type 2, then after a while, because of how I was reacting to insulin, all my ups and downs probably type 1.  I have just asked if I can have the test to see what type I am, and my surgery said they do not normally do this, but the nurse said she would ask. Don't I need to know what I am?
Cheryl

Spelling is not everything!
Humalog and  Lantus. 4 metformin a day
Diagnosed T2 2010 Now find I am T1 2017

Online Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Re: Hallo and How many times to test a day is acceptable?
« Reply #1 on: 09 March 2017, 11:22:13 AM »
Hi Blueduck and welcome to the forum.

I wanted to welcome you, but there's a lot to think about and respond to in your short post, aside from the compulsive testing and how many times is "acceptable".  I have to pop out right now, but will be back in an hour or so and would like to explore some of the issues at length then.  So please don't think you are being ignored.  Hopefully some other insulin users will be along meantime.

Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #2 on: 09 March 2017, 01:27:47 PM »
Hi Blueduck! Nice to meet you!

Here is my take on things, bearing in mind I'm not actually a medical professional or anything close! (if you have a linguistics question though, I'm your gal...lol!)

So as to type, you could be T2 or T1.5. The fact your BGs were up and down doesn't really mean much I don't think. It's true that T1s in general have more ups and downs than T2s. But you were on mixed insulin, and just about anybody would have ups and downs on mixed!

A "regular" T1 would not have been able to survive for 7ish years without insulin. But T1.5 is a slow-developping form of T1 that can look like T2 at the stage where you are diagnosed (so you are starting to lose some of the insulin cells, enough where you have noticeable symptoms, but there are still enough left that T2 drugs like gliclazide that work by stimulating your body to produce more insulin will work on you for a while). Eventually you lose enough insulin cells that those drugs don't have anything to work *on* so they stop being effective and injected insulin becomes necessary.

Trouble is, this can also happen to some T2s anyway overtime. Although it's all a bit fuzzy because a lot of the statistics we have on "T2s" probably include a lot of T1.5s as it's a relatively new "discovery" and lots of people are misdiagnosed at the start and never re-evaluated.

There are two types of tests that can help determine your type. One test (a C-peptide test) checks for whether your body is producing any insulin of its own. This test doesn't tell you everything, because some long-term T2s produce little insulin anymore, and a T1.5 at the start of the process would still be producing some. But it's better than nothing! The other test (a GAD-antibody test) checks for whether your insulin production is being destroyed by an immune system attack. This is a sure sign of T1 or T1.5. Unfortunately this test has a time clock on it, 8-10 years from the time the immune attack would have started. Because once the immune system has finished destroying all the insulin cells, the attack is over and eventually there's no evidence left of it in the body. So you'd have to get this one rather soon in your case! These tests are not very common ones to run, they're expensive so they're not done routinely. You have to ask for them, and you may even have to insist on them / do some convincing to get them. But most of us here feel that it's generally worth having them done, for the peace of mind if nothing else! (see next para)

As to whether or not you need to know what type you are, it's yes and no. Yes, because if you are T1.5, it's a sad state of things but you do actually get access to more supplies and tests and generally a better standard of care. So if you can get access to all of that, you definitely should! But no, because in the end, all that matters is your BG levels. If you can maintain good BG levels with a bit of injected insulin but not without, and you can figure out how much insulin you need for different situations and combinations of food, activity level and stress level, that's really all you need to know to carry on and keep yourself in good health. Whether or not you produce your own insulin factors into that, of course, and may help you understand why some situations play out the way they do, but on a practical level you just need to be able to work out how to get the results you want on your meter, one way or the other.

Finally, as to your question about testing. How often you test depends on a few different factors. When you're on insulin, you need to test at a VERY minimum 4-5 times per day. On waking/before breakfast (if there's a large gap between the two that can be two different tests), before every meal, and before bed. In the UK, you also legally are required to test before driving and every 2 hours that you have been operating a vehicle (whether it's several short trips like running errands, or one long one). You also technically should test whenever you feel you might be having a low blood sugar, and if it is low you should test again 15 minutes after treating the low.

Incidentally these minimum testing requirements, especially the legally required tests, can sometimes help you make the case for getting enough test strips prescribed, if your GP clinic is trying to cut corners in that department.

Most of us like to test more than the minimum, sometimes a good bit more. For example, it can be useful to test 1-2 hours after a meal, to check whether you gauged it right and see whether you could improve on your judgment of similar situations in the future. You also may sometimes (every 3-4 weeks maybe) wish to do what's called a basal test, to check whether your Humalin dose is adjusted correctly for your current needs, and that involves a good 2-3 more tests. Some (lucky!) people have access to what's called continuous glucose monitoring or CGM, where a sensor under the skin reads their BG levels every 5 minutes or so and constantly tells them how they're doing. Those are the absolute ideal for BG information (and at the end of the day I think we'd all like to be constantly informed about what our BGs are doing, unless you have a lot of anxiety over it) but they're very expensive and still not perfect in what they do.

On the whole I think most people who would say that they "test frequently" test somewhere between 4 and 8 times a day. Some people need to test more often, if they have frequent lows for example, have lost their hypo symptoms, are ill or going through a stressful period, are having a hard time getting their BGs in order, or are on an insulin pump. Some people test less for reasons like test anxiety or due to restrictions on how many test strips they can get. It's all pretty variable and pretty personal, really! The main thing is to test enough to ensure that you are safe (with regards to highs and lows), able to make informed choices about insulin and food, and meeting legal requirements for driving (and work, depending on your work). While not testing so much as to be making yourself overly anxious or depressed/discouraged over your results or to be wasting test strips on tests that aren't going to provide you with useful information.

Hope that helps! Feel free to ask for clarification or any other questions you might have, we're always happy to answer people's questions; it's what we're here for! :)
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Liam

• Global Moderator
  • We live to fight another day.
« Reply #3 on: 09 March 2017, 01:57:15 PM »
Welcome Blueduck!

Well everyone on insulin (or other drugs that can cause low blood sugar) needs to test at waking, then before every meal and before bed. You also have to test at least twice for each hypo (low blood sugar) Once to confirm the low then again to see if the treatment has raised it. So a normal day you'll want to test at least 4 or 5 times, but often it will be much more than that.

Knowing what type you are can be useful. As a type I you will more likely have access to a hospital diabetes team (these are mostly much more useful that a GP / GPs nurse) education courses like DAFNE, or an insulin pump. You aren't on a real long acting insulin so I'd guess (but I could be wrong) that you are likely ty

It would be helpful for us if you could tell us the types of foods you eat, how much insulin you take, other medical issues and medications.
DX Type I 1994.    Novorapid Animas Vibe pump
HbA1c 3/10 10.2%, 7/10 8.1%, 12/10 7.5%.
2/11 7.8%, 8/11 8.6% 9/11 8.3%.
3/12 62 (7.8%). 10/12 67 (8.3%)
4/13 63 (7.9%) 6/13 59 (7.5%)
1/14 71 (8.6%) 7/14 59 (7.5%) 11/14 (6.7%)
3/15 56 (7.3%) 12/15 49 (6.6%)
Ramipril: 10mg Quetiapine: 550mg Metformin: 2000mg

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 09 March 2017, 02:39:48 PM »
Type 1.5 is also known as 'LADA' and you will find internet info about it under both those names.  It was never recognised for what it was in the past - you were firmly only T1 or T2 in the past - so it just shows even though they haven't found a cure yet LOL - that research does definitely happen and does definitely help!

Exeter Uni Med School have been very helpful in finding out all sorts of things about it - they are still involved - and you may want to look on their website to find out more useful info.  What the doc says about the C-pep tests is true - it's a more complicated test that takes longer to do than the normal blood tests, and even now not ALL labs can do it.  It also therefore takes longer to get the results than eg an HbA1c test.  At least weeks rather than days.

I'm a far from obsessive tester myself.  I only test when I either want or need to know what my BG is doing, for whatever reason I want or need to know that.  Always when I get up. before meals and before I go to bed - so a minimum of 5 a day - though if I sleep in a bit eg we went away for a long weekend before Xmas with daughter who did breakfast for everyone, so one test covered both 'getting up' and pre-brekky - including one particular day when we actually both overslept and had breakfast in bed!  Lovely treat.

Anyway as I mentioned, if I don't actually need to know what my BG is right now and I don't feel 'odd' - whyever would I test?  In fact - I just don't think about it until I need to.  My diabetes fits in with me - not me, it  - whenever possible - but of course, I keep it happy by actually obeying the rules it lays down on me and kow towing to it when I have to.  I have found over the years so far that both of us like the arrangement!

Once you are that, anyway, whether it's confirmed by lab tests or not - at this stage you'll just respond to everything the same as an ordinary Type 1 does and as if you had always been one!
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Online Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 09 March 2017, 04:41:44 PM »
Hi again Blueduck

I hope you don't mind but I am going to ask some questions, merely for clarification, cos the more we know the better we can respond.
First time posting. Diagnosed as diabetic in 2009. On gliclazide, them metformin, then added something else that sent my eyes funny, cant remember the name, then changed to a mixed insulin.

How long was it between being diagnosed and being put on insulin?

All going well until about a year ago. Tried several different mixed - 25/75, 35/45, 50/50,  insulins.  None worked, as bs levels were up and down all the time.

Mixed insulins are notoriously difficult to handle unless you are prepared to have all meals at set times and eat precisely the same amount of carbohydrate at each of those meals e.g, breakfast 8 am every day 30g carb.  Lunch 12:30 each day 40g carb.... do you get the drift?  Not many people can live like that.  I was on mixed insulin for a short time and hated the restrictions and I couldn't stick to a set regime so naturally my BGs were all over the place.  However, no-one's blood is ever in a flat straight line... everyone's BG rises after eating, even non-diabetics.  It's more about the level of rise.

End of Jan was changed to Humalog, and Humalin at night. Took a few weeks, but I have the best levels I have had for ages. Also carb counting. Get a few glitches, but in general, pretty good.
Which kind of Humalin? There are several, some last longer than others. 

Trouble is, I seem to be compulsively testing, and wondered how many times? Does it matter? 
Can you tell us when you are testing?  Do you use the results to do anything about how you are treating your diabetes?  I think most of us on insulin test around 6 - 10 times a day.  Personally I test when I wake up and adjust if necessary by a small bolus (remember though I am on a pump and it's easier to do for me).  I hardly ever eat breakfast, but if I do I test before breakfast to see what dose to give myself.  Again before lunch to calculate the dose, sometimes a couple of hours after lunch, but not often.  Before dinner and before bed.  Also if I feel odd in any way e.g. hypo, before I drive and every 2 hours whilst driving.  I average about 7 - 8 tests a day.  Sometimes if I am checking what is going on with my basal I will test every hour or so, but I record the results to use to see patterns and what I need to do to adjust basals.  If you are just testing for no reason and doing nothing about it then it's really a bit of a waste of time.

Also, am not sure what type of diabetic I am, as the Dr said type 2, then after a while, because of how I was reacting to insulin, all my ups and downs probably type 1.  I have just asked if I can have the test to see what type I am, and my surgery said they do not normally do this, but the nurse said she would ask. Don't I need to know what I am?

The GPs surgeries do not normally do those kind of tests (GAD5 and CPeptide).  I was diagnosed T2 14 years ago purely because of my age, but I presented with all the symptoms of T1 at the time of diagnosis and immediately put on insulin.  I realised that whilst ever I had the T2 label I would be denied a lot of things like carb counting courses.  So I pushed and pushed, but it took me 8 years and a referral to an Endocrinologist before I got the tests done and was re-diagnosed T1.  Since then I am looked after at the hospital not the GPs and I  have been able to get a pump.

Another clue as to which type you are will be how much insulin you need to take a day.  So can you tell us how many units of Humulin you take and how many units of Humalog throughout the day (average, if you are carb counting obviously that will depend on how many carbs you eat).  Also if you can answer Liam's question about what you eat in a typical day  ;D

Sorry to ask so many questions, but it does help us to make more pertinent responses  ;) ;)

Meantime welcome again!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Blueduck

« Reply #6 on: 10 March 2017, 09:22:21 AM »
Thank you all for your replies. Sorry at work all day, so did not have a chance to get back. 

Well I was on the medication for 1 year before going onto insulin. Then onto the 30/70 mix, then changed to the 25/75. This did well for some time.  Then last year this went a bit haywire - they think hormonal - lots of ups and downs. so then changed the mix to 30/70 then 50/50.

The time I changed last year  I had to re assed my diet, I am not a big eater anyway. I was having lots of highs before evening meal. (and I am pretty obsessed with time, and always eat at the same times - breakfast 7, lunch 12.00 - 12.30 dinner 6.0 - 7.00)  So to help things I cut back on food, to try to help the insulin.  I know I should eat carbs, fat and protein, at all meals, but cant handle that in the mornings.  I so I had 15gm readybrek, with SK milk, and 10 blueberries.  Lunch mixed sald and 2 ryvita, gave up eating bread, 100gm plain greek you. and small portion of fruit maybe half an apple. (was weighing every thing)  So this was not a lot of fun, but it did improve my bs levels.  Anyway to cut a long story short, I was going back and forward to the Drs.  So the change to 50/50 did not work and I was still up and down. So the next change middle of Jan to Humalin 1, I think Ill have to check, and Humalog. I have 3 units breakfast lunch and dinner, adjusting dependant on what I am eating, but in general 3.  then 5units  Humalin at 11pm, before bed.

From what you have all said, I don't think then I am testing too much.  Breakfast, then after 2 hours as that seems to be my danger time and I sometimes need a snack, lunch, after lunch. Dinner, before bed.  Then I test when I am very hungry, which sometimes happens, just to check whats going on.  I just wasn't sure, as I seemed to be testing all the time.Lol.

With the change to injecting 4 times a day, I cant believe how quickly things have improved.  I feel still very new to all this, even after all this time, its almost like starting again.  Re learning stuff, hope this all helps and any more top tips you can give me will be very welcome.  I feel there is a lot to learn, and you all know so much information.  Hope I can be like that in 10 years time!! :D  Off to work now, so thanks all
Cheryl

Offline Paulines7

« Reply #7 on: 10 March 2017, 01:17:02 PM »
Hello Blueduck and welcome to the forum.  I don't take any medications for my diabetes so cannot give any advice about insulins etc. There are many on here who will be able to help though, so I will leave it to them to help you as far as that side of it goes.

I was diagnosed in march 2014 and was lucky enough to find this site then.  Unfortunately my GP told me to eat wholemeal carbs and to avoid fruit juice and fruit.  I was allowed a small portion of berry fruit though.  I managed to get a meter from the GP surgery nurse and started testing according to the advice I found on here.  What I found was that many carbs sent my bg readings really high, for example, brown rice produced a reading of 29 !!  Since then I have tried to stick to a low carb high fat diet and although I went off course over Christmas, I am now back to being very strict with my diet so I am hoping for a dramatic drop when I have my next HbA1c reading in May.  Certainly all my meter readings are now much lower than they were in the first two months of this year.  I had gone back to eating ice cream, sweets and chocolate.  The more I ate, the more I became addicted to them again.

I also have 2 Rivita for lunch occasionally with cheese or cheese spread but I try to avoid carbs at breakfast so have an avocado or some scrambled or hard boiled eggs, bacon and eggs or full fat Greek yoghurt with strawberries, raspberries or blueberries.  It really depends how much time I have to prepare it.  Hard boiled eggs and sausages can be cooked beforehand though and then just taken from the fridge either as a snack or to have for breakfast.  Just make sure that the sausages are 97% meat as two sausages are only 1.5 carbs.

You will find plenty of low carb recipes on this forum.  Most of the cake and scone recipes are made from ground almonds rather than flour and have sweetener rather than sugar. 

Blueduck, one other thing before I go, you do not say whether you are male or female.   

Diabetes Type2 diagnosed March 2014.  Treated by diet only.  HbA1c 60 on diagnosis, 52 in June 2014, 50 October 2014, 44 December 2014, 48 May 2015, 50 Sep 2015, 53 Jan 2016, 50 Oct 2016, 56 Feb 2017, 50 Jun 2017. 50 Aug 2017.  Pacemaker fitted 2008.

When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want 'em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Online Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 10 March 2017, 07:38:17 PM »
Hi Blueduck

Sorry, busy day today.  From the amount of insulin you are taking it doesn't suggest T2 with lots of insulin resistance... but hey ho, we can speculate but only the tests will show the real situation. 

You do not say what dinner is, but the rest of your diet looks a teensy bit on the punitive side.  It's not a case of "should" eat carbs, they are not essential, but of course protein and fat are if you are going to not eat carbs... the body can get energy from both protein and fat in the absence of carbs.  Usually people report feeling more sated with fat in their diet.

I understand Humulin I is an intermediate lasting insulin and not really a long acting insulin.  Have you ever enquired about maybe having a proper long lasting background insulin such as Levemir or Lantus?
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Alan

• Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey
« Reply #9 on: 10 March 2017, 08:50:23 PM »
Thank you all for your replies. Sorry at work all day, so did not have a chance to get back. 

Well I was on the medication for 1 year before going onto insulin. Then onto the 30/70 mix, then changed to the 25/75. This did well for some time.  Then last year this went a bit haywire - they think hormonal - lots of ups and downs. so then changed the mix to 30/70 then 50/50.

The time I changed last year  I had to re assed my diet, I am not a big eater anyway. I was having lots of highs before evening meal. (and I am pretty obsessed with time, and always eat at the same times - breakfast 7, lunch 12.00 - 12.30 dinner 6.0 - 7.00)  So to help things I cut back on food, to try to help the insulin.  I know I should eat carbs, fat and protein, at all meals, but cant handle that in the mornings.  I so I had 15gm readybrek, with SK milk, and 10 blueberries.  Lunch mixed sald and 2 ryvita, gave up eating bread, 100gm plain greek you. and small portion of fruit maybe half an apple. (was weighing every thing)  So this was not a lot of fun, but it did improve my bs levels.  Anyway to cut a long story short, I was going back and forward to the Drs.  So the change to 50/50 did not work and I was still up and down. So the next change middle of Jan to Humalin 1, I think Ill have to check, and Humalog. I have 3 units breakfast lunch and dinner, adjusting dependant on what I am eating, but in general 3.  then 5units  Humalin at 11pm, before bed.

From what you have all said, I don't think then I am testing too much.  Breakfast, then after 2 hours as that seems to be my danger time and I sometimes need a snack, lunch, after lunch. Dinner, before bed.  Then I test when I am very hungry, which sometimes happens, just to check whats going on.  I just wasn't sure, as I seemed to be testing all the time.Lol.

With the change to injecting 4 times a day, I cant believe how quickly things have improved.  I feel still very new to all this, even after all this time, its almost like starting again.  Re learning stuff, hope this all helps and any more top tips you can give me will be very welcome.  I feel there is a lot to learn, and you all know so much information.  Hope I can be like that in 10 years time!! :D  Off to work now, so thanks all

G'day and welcome to the forum.

I agree with the others, you may need further testing for LADA or MODY. Have you ever been tested for c-peptide and antibodies? Your effective insulin doses are fairly small for a T2; another possible indicator.

I believe "am I testing too much" to be one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions. Any test which provides information to help you improve your blood glucose control is a useful test; those which do not may not be. When I first started following the best advice I ever read after my diagnosis (you'll find it here: Jennifer’s advice) I tested up to 20 times a day. That came down as my knowledge of my body's reactions to foods was added to my personal database. I give a longer response here: How Often Should We Test?

Patti implied some concerns about your menu. I share them. You may not be eating a lot but some of the carb portions may need adjustment. Possibly some of the ideas on those links may help you do that. But please also investigate the further lab testing you may need for certainty of your type.

One word of caution. As you are on insulin if you decide to give our ideas a try do not make drastic changes to the menu. Modest changes made consistently will still work without risking hypos. You may need to discuss reducing insulin with your doctor as you reduce the carbs. It works most efficiently if you do a little extra testing to discover when your peak occurs after meals and use that timing. If you are not sure, use one hour after your last bite until you discover your peak.
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Small New York Baked Low Carb Cheesecake)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest:Dambulla, Sigiriya and Polonuwarra, Sri Lanka)

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: 10 March 2017, 08:57:36 PM »
More on the 'intermediate' nature of Humulin I - when I was on it - possibly because my body and my employers working hours did not exactly match Humulin I's requirements - I used to have the most awful, deep and very sudden hypos - and lost every single one of my hypo symptoms - not having the slightest idea that I was sitting behind my husband on one of his motorbikes with the top half of my body horizontal - or what the terrible noise was driving home along the motorway.  I always thought I was completely upright on the bikes and the noise was the crash barrier in the middle of the road scraping down the offside section of my (firm's) car.  Very odd, considering I'd tested immediately before leaving work 10 minutes ago and my BG was approx. 7.2 .......

Not that I had a very unusual life either - I worked in an office, 9 to 5 exactly the same as I'd always done for the previous 25 years ...... so I'd go home from work, cook the tea by which time my husband would also be home and we'd eat it about 7 to 7.30 pm - exactly as we'd done for the previous 25 years .....

I hate the stuff I'm afraid.  I simply want to have a normal life!

On a 'proper' 'basal/bolus' insulin regime - ie either one or two daily jabs of a long-acting insulin, then a fast-acting one before eating anything with more than about 5g of carbs in it - I can easily do that - and I also don't need to eat anything whatsoever if I don't want to at that particular mealtime.  Obviously can't skip every meal - but if I wanted my breakfast at lunchtime (or not bother with it at all) or my dinner at midnight - then as far as the insulin is concerned I could quite easily.  It also fits in splendidly with doing something different at eg weekends or on holiday - or when friends say 'Fancy going wherever, to do whatever, then grabbing fish and chips/going for a Balti etc after?'.  In other words - it's flexible.  Humulin I, isn't.
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline Blueduck

« Reply #11 on: 10 March 2017, 09:01:51 PM »
Well, again, thankyou to all replies.  Just ready them all again.  The info. you give is very comprehensive.  I suppose I am just having a bit of a wobbly, found this site and thought Id join.  So much info. so some more from me.
My first diabetic nurse said I am very sensitive to insulin, I don't seem to need much but if I don't have it my bs goes high- 18/19.I have only been to the Drs. and not refered to the hospital, that's what they do now, well in my area.  Before when my bs levels were not too bad, I was only testing 2/3 times a day.  So it just seems a lot now, but on reflection, and from what you have all said, not a lot.
I was waffling a bit before, and the food I listed was  when I was on the 50/50 mix.  Now I am carb counting, some days well, some days it does not seem logical.  But Since January and the change to 4 times a day insulin, I have been eating brown or granary bread again...sad to say, this has been very exciting! Lol.
My diet is a little more normal, and it has been nice to eat a sandwich.  I am still watching what I eat.  Dinner it usually meat and plenty of veg,with maybe a small scoop of ice cream (is that bad)I have not really given up puddings, just eat very small ones.  Husband is a meat and 2 veg man, so unless I want to cook 2 dinners that's what we have.  Try to stick to new potatoes as read they are better than anything, but love a roasty.  But again, I probably have 3 small pieces, I don't eat big portions.
I have had a fews weeks with no hypos. and that has been miraculous, and only a few highs, which is so much better than before.
Looking at my bs levels I think for a long time the background insulin in the mix had been too much, and that's why I was having so many hypos.

Thanks again you have all been very friendly and helpful.  Anything that's helps is brilliant.
Cheryl

Offline Blueduck

« Reply #12 on: 10 March 2017, 09:07:43 PM »
Hallo Sedge and Alan,

Thank you both.

Lots to think on.

I have not had any tests, really only the general ones. My last 3month average was 8.3, that when they changed my insulin again.  As I said, all is much better now,and I really hope it will settle down.  I see what you are saying about the Humalin1, but that's what they have changed me  to.  I have my next appointment in April, so see how it goes.  I suppose it will all depend on how my bs levels go.
Cheryl

Offline Blueduck

« Reply #13 on: 10 March 2017, 10:02:34 PM »
Hallo Patti
I did not know until recently there were so many insulins, intermediate or long acting. Think
I had my head in the sand and looked no further. Just been reading the links suggested - Jennifer's advice, now I feel I know nothing and really need to start again. Lol!
Cheryl

Offline Blueduck

« Reply #14 on: 10 March 2017, 10:24:02 PM »
I am very lucky and don't have any other medical problems, have dupuytrens contracture, just little finger on left hand, and starting nodules on right, but pretty fit and healthy. Like to walk. Pilates if I get time. Dinner today was steak, peas, mushrooms and 3 small new potatoes. Cheese and 4 crackers, oatmeal ones. Glass of red wine. Bs was 6.5 before 6.8 2 hours after....is that ok?
Cheryl