Author Topic: Home made vegetable crisps  (Read 170 times)

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
    • Patti and Julian
Home made vegetable crisps
« on: 22 March 2017, 06:46:37 PM »
    Ingredients

•   120g sweet potato 
    •   120g carrot 
    •   100g parsnip 
    •   100g beetroot 
    •   spray oil
      Method 
    • Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Slice the vegetables very thinly – a mandoline slicer is perfect.
    • Spray a little oil over a baking sheet and arrange the vegetable slices ensuring they don't overlap. You may need to make them in separate batches depending on the size of your oven.
    • Cook for 20 minutes, until lightly browned. It's vital to turn the vegetables frequently during cooking as they can easily burn. You may need to remove some crisps before the 20 minutes is up, as some will cook faster than others.
    • When all the crisps are ready, allow them to cool then mix together and serve.

Take care not to burn your veggies. Root vegetables have a lot of natural sugar, so can scorch if you have the oven too high or don’t turn often enough during cooking.
        You can cook the crisps in the microwave on 300W for 10 minutes, then 1 minute on full power, which works quite well but only for smaller batches.

Recipe serves 6 at 8.7g carb per 74g portion (as opposed to 13.3 per 25g commercial crisp pack).

Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Idreamofchocolate

Re: Home made vegetable crisps
    « Reply #1 on: 23 March 2017, 02:34:26 PM »
    Really appreciative of this recipe Patti. I love the packaged ones but they are far too fatty for me at the moment. If these are just sprayed with oil they should be fine for me to eat. I will definitely be trying them.
    Maureen

Type 2 diagnosed June 08. Taking Amlodipine 10mg, Doxazosin 12mg and Propranolol 20mg

“When having a smackerel of something with a friend, don't eat so much that you get stuck in the doorway trying to get out.” A. A. Milne

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
    • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
      • Patti and Julian
    Re: Home made vegetable crisps
    « Reply #2 on: 23 March 2017, 07:12:20 PM »
    I think I might spray the veggies on top as well as the tray Maureen, but they would still be very low fat.   :)
    Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans