Author Topic: He returns  (Read 1112 times)

Offline John

• John Taylor Woodturner
He returns
« on: 25 April 2017, 03:24:28 PM »
He walks up to the window as he has many times over the last few years and has a look at what is going on and reads a few threads. He then decides it is time he went in and started posting again so he walks up to the door and digs out his old bunch of keys. After several tries and a bit of help manages to unlock the door and enter. He has a wander round, sees he has some messages but he is not able to read them, and finds a comfy seat in the corner, opens a thread and starts to write... :D

Hi All

It has been a while, over 7 years and a change of software, since I last posted so I thought it was about time I started again, especially as things are changing but more on that later.

First a bit about myself for those who don't know or remember me, my name is John if you hadn't guessed, I am 64 years old although at times I feel a lot older I am married with 2 adult boys who both have their own family's now. I had to take early retirement back in 2001 due to osteoarthritis, I have since had both knees replaced and I am waiting to have my right hip replaced. I used to live in North London but moved up north a bit to Peterborough when I retired. I took up woodturning first as a hobby then as a small business now it is back to being a hobby again due to poor health. As well as woodturning my other main hobby's are reading and photography.

Health the short answer is up and down but seems to be mainly down at the moment.  :)  As I have already mentioned I have osteoarthritis which resulted in having both knees replaced and now my right hip has gone and I am waiting for the NHS to decided to replace it which they say is needed.It also affects most of the other joints in my body. I wear glasses and I am partially deaf and wear 2 expensive hearing aids, the NHS ones were no good so I went private. What else ? I have a strange digestive system which gives me trouble and no one has been able to pin down exactly what is wrong with it. Apart from diabetes which I will come to in a minute there is one other big thing, if you have a good memory you might remember back in the mist of time I was asking about some strange symptoms I was getting every now and then, these went on for some time with various GPs giving me different possibles as to what it was. This went on for sometime then I was having a 6 monthly check up with my DNS and she didn't like what my pulse was doing so she gave me a ECG. This resulted in an urgent appointment to see a cardiologist who diagnosed AF followed by several changes in medicine to try and control it including a couple of hospital stays and several procedures to try and stop it which didnt work so they fitted me with a pacemaker and, touch wood, all symptoms seem to have gone and I feel a lot better.

Now the bit we are all here for I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2006 and put on Metformin 2 tablets a day after a bit I was able to control it and for the next 9 years I was pretty stable with HBA1c of between 5.4 and 7.2. Then 2 years ago it started to creep up first it was 8,6 then 6 months later 9.3 and continued to increase until my last HBA1c 3 months ago when it was 13.8. I am seeing my DNS every few weeks to try out different meds to see if we can get it back under control but so far no luck. At the moment I am on 1g of SR Metformin a day and 160g Gliclazide twice a day and so far it doesn't seem to be making any difference. An example is this mornings reading when I woke up it was 12.8 45 minutes later I tested again and it was 12.3 so allowing for error it was either stable or going down.  I then had my breakfast which was a cup of tea and a slice of toast with a bit of butter on. I then went out into my workshop and did a few jobs and messed about till lunch time 4 hours later, Before getting my lunch I tested again and it had gone up to 16.7 and that is the story of my life at the moment my BG has a will of its own, my DNS reckins I will be on isulin within 2 months if we cant find another way to control it.

I think thats enough waffle from me for now especially as my arm is aching, I tore a ligament in it 2 months ago.

regards
john

PS I still have my chainsaws.  >:D
John

Type 2, diag 2006, Metformin sr 1000mg, Gliclazide 160mg, Levemir 16units

Offline Liam

• Global Moderator
  • We live to fight another day.
Re: He returns
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2017, 04:00:06 PM »
I'm sorry to say I don't remember you but you might have been before my time.

Thank you for giving us a good history and update. Saves us having to ask you a load of questions :) To be honest I think your DNS is most likely right. Those are so pretty high numbers and I wouldn't be shocked if insulin was the best treatment for you. Do you know what happens if you have something like eggs or meats for breakfast? Hard to be sure if your results would have gone up like that because you ate toast which is a carb and carbs make BG go up if there isn't enough insulin (your own in this case) to cover it.

I know some nurses and doctors make insulin seem like a last resort / bad thing, but if it gives you good control then it is just like any other tool we use to make us healthy. Try not to see it as failure :) I'm a type I so of course need to use insulin, but from reading on these forums I think I'd rather use insulin if I needed to as a type II than some of the other injectable drugs for type II.
DX Type I 1994.    Novorapid Animas Vibe pump
HbA1c 3/10 10.2%, 7/10 8.1%, 12/10 7.5%.
2/11 7.8%, 8/11 8.6% 9/11 8.3%.
3/12 62 (7.8%). 10/12 67 (8.3%)
4/13 63 (7.9%) 6/13 59 (7.5%)
1/14 71 (8.6%) 7/14 59 (7.5%) 11/14 (6.7%)
3/15 56 (7.3%) 12/15 49 (6.6%)
Ramipril: 10mg Quetiapine: 550mg Metformin: 2000mg

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2017, 04:22:22 PM »
Hi John and welcome back

Your opening paragraph made me laugh!  Yes, I do remember you from the "old forum" as we refer to it.  Unfortunately that software stopped being developed which meant the security wasn't good and it got hacked.  The first time we closed it and set up with new software, but kept it as an archive, but the second time the hackers got in via the old forum we had to ditch it, which is a shame because we cannot now look back and see old posts to prompt our memories.  There will still be one or two around who remember you though.

Sounds like you have really been in the wars healthwise, but it sounds like you still have your SOH nontheless.

Now the bit we are all here for I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2006 and put on Metformin 2 tablets a day after a bit I was able to control it and for the next 9 years I was pretty stable with HBA1c of between 5.4 and 7.2. Then 2 years ago it started to creep up first it was 8,6 then 6 months later 9.3 and continued to increase until my last HBA1c 3 months ago when it was 13.8. I am seeing my DNS every few weeks to try out different meds to see if we can get it back under control but so far no luck. At the moment I am on 1g of SR Metformin a day and 160g Gliclazide twice a day and so far it doesn't seem to be making any difference. An example is this mornings reading when I woke up it was 12.8 45 minutes later I tested again and it was 12.3 so allowing for error it was either stable or going down.  I then had my breakfast which was a cup of tea and a slice of toast with a bit of butter on. I then went out into my workshop and did a few jobs and messed about till lunch time 4 hours later, Before getting my lunch I tested again and it had gone up to 16.7 and that is the story of my life at the moment my BG has a will of its own, my DNS reckins I will be on isulin within 2 months if we cant find another way to control it.

Hmmm... well I do not know about the Gliclazide, which pushes your pancreas to output more insulin - cos if your pancreas isn't performing properly it's a bit pointless pushing it, but if it's insulin resistance then 1000mg Glucophage is not the highest effective dose.  I am on 2000mg and I did notice the difference when I came off it for various reasons last winter.  When I went back on it earlier this year it wasn't until I had ramped up to the full dose that I saw full effect.

There are other drugs that, to some degree or another, will help, but most have really rather odd side effects that personally I'd not want to risk.  As Liam says, insulin may sound awful but in fact once you get used to it, it isn't at all bad.

Meantime diet can indeed have a huge affect on your BGs and toast perhaps isn't the best breakfast.  Can you give us a list of what you eat in a typical day and we will try to give you some suggestions to help.

Once again... welcome back!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 25 April 2017, 04:34:46 PM »
Hi John - well I do go back a bit further than Liam but often lose track of time so couldn't have said when he joined - but of course I DO remember you!  Long time no see - and welcome back!

Thanks for updating us - the most important thing of course, whatever anyone has wrong with em -  is that you're still here.

I agree with Liam - the other newer T2 drugs all have some potentially 'difficult' side effects if you happen to get em - and sadly that's quite common.  There haven't been any marvellous easy solutions appear in the interim.

Has nursie actually suggested adding anything else or swapping to insulin?

Oh - and I've just looked through our window and it's heaving down with rain - thought it was snowing earlier - then realised it was only cherry blossom from our neighbour's tree!  LOL
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline John

• John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #4 on: 25 April 2017, 06:32:59 PM »
I'm sorry to say I don't remember you but you might have been before my time.

Thank you for giving us a good history and update. Saves us having to ask you a load of questions :) To be honest I think your DNS is most likely right. Those are so pretty high numbers and I wouldn't be shocked if insulin was the best treatment for you. Do you know what happens if you have something like eggs or meats for breakfast? Hard to be sure if your results would have gone up like that because you ate toast which is a carb and carbs make BG go up if there isn't enough insulin (your own in this case) to cover it.

I know some nurses and doctors make insulin seem like a last resort / bad thing, but if it gives you good control then it is just like any other tool we use to make us healthy. Try not to see it as failure :) I'm a type I so of course need to use insulin, but from reading on these forums I think I'd rather use insulin if I needed to as a type II than some of the other injectable drugs for type II.

Hi Liam

I had a nice grilled bacon and poached egg breakfast in the middle of last week with a cup of tea and my BG went up afterwards by about 2.7 points.  I have tried just tea by itself and had no rise.

My DNS is very open about drugs etc and actually makes insulin sound easy to take.

regards
john
John

Offline John

• John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #5 on: 25 April 2017, 07:20:41 PM »
Hi Patti

Its good to be back.

Yes there are a number of people I remember still here but also a lot of new ones, some of them might be people I recommended your site to,  ;)

Gliclazide is basically a hail Mary attempt as I have tried some of the other drugs with no effect other than nasty side effects. I really should check the doses of things I am currently on, I am taking 1000mg of sr metformin, up to about 3 months ago I was on 2000mg but the side effects were causing me problems in other areas of my health. Along with my DNS we dropped the dose to 1000mg and monitored the situation and it made virtually no difference to my BG  and the side effects have almost gone away so good all round.

I have tried a number of other drugs over the last few months and been warned about the side effects and to stop taking the drugs immediately if I got them, none of them worked but all of them were horrendous. My DNS is currently going over things again to see if there is anything else we can do before we go down the insulin route.

I am resigned to taking insulin and realise that it is the best if not only way I can continue to live symptom and complication free. It is just the thought of the steep learning curve needed to get on top of the treatment, plus all the additional stuff I will have to add to my too go bag.  :D  And of course to find room in the fridge for insulin supplies.

Diet is a whole story all by itself as I have been trying all sorts of variations, but at the moment I am keeping to a standard one which is not the best but is a good base to tell if the drugs are having any effect.

Breakfast, either a glass of orange or apple or toast or eggs and bacon.

Lunch, A sandwich or low carb crackers and meat or meat and a bit of salad.

Evening, Cooked meal consisting of meat, a small portion of potatoes and peas.

Bedtime, a couple of digestive or hobnobs.

All suggestions welcome  :)

regards
john
John

Offline John

• John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #6 on: 25 April 2017, 07:23:37 PM »
Hi Sedge

Good to be back.

As mentioned above all sorts of changes have been going on over the last few months which makes life interesting.

The weather here has been 4 seasons in one day blue skys and rain and hail and snow and gales, a fun day.

regards
john
John

Offline Lucy

« Reply #7 on: 25 April 2017, 08:04:30 PM »
Hi John,

I'll just say hello and welcome back. There's a whole host of tablets and injectables you can try and im sure you'll have it under control soon, just stick with it through the fustration of trying things. I take insulin and its harder work than some of the other medicines where you just take a fixed dose, as you have to calculate and adjust how much to take etc, and just when you've got it sorted the whole thing changes and you need to work out a new dose. However i'd never want to go off insulin even if i could i'd always want it to use as i see fit. If you're a knowledgable (or willing to learn) and engaged person then it gives you great control/flexibility and ability to make day to day changes to your dose rather than the tablet approach of try this and come back in several months.

I do also take victoza however which i have found fantastic on top of my insulin as it totally stops the dawn phenomenon. I do worry about some of the side effects of these newer drugs though and if i was to drop one it would be that.

You may also find that exercise helps your blood sugars, however in your situation (becoming part robot by the sounds of it!) i don't know how practical that is, it may nt be possible. If it is then something like a bit of light swimming could help you a bit. It sounds like you have a meter and strips and a supportive DSN anyway which is all more than half the battle.

Diet wise i think the first thing i'd drop would be the glass of apple/orange juice at breakfast. I use that to raise my bg fast when i'm having a hypo so the impact when youre starting high is probably not great.
Type: Lucy. A1C 44 / 6.0% Jan17.
Lantus, Victoza and Apidra. Metformin XR, Bisoprolol (for SVT). Dexcom G4 with xdrip and nightscout.

Offline John

• John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #8 on: 25 April 2017, 11:30:57 PM »
Hi Lucy

Its a bit like life really just as everything is going well something comes along and upsets it, still if it didnt life would be boring, mind you boring can be good at times.

I feel like a robot at times and it is fun going through metal detectors.

I only have the orange juice very ocasionally and then only 100g of it, I use a special glass I got from somewhere. :o

Just looked up victoza seems to work well not sure I like the side effects though.

regards
john
John

Offline John

• John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #9 on: 25 April 2017, 11:54:47 PM »
A couple of things I forgot to mention.

I am currently taking a cocktail of drugs for my other problems, for the arthritis, blood pressure, other Heart problems and digestive problems = 14 tablets a day plus between 2 & 10 painkillers a day depending on how bad it is and currently 5 tablets for my diabetes, I am sure I rattle as I move around. The problem is while there are side effects from all of them and guidelines on taking one pill with another there is not much information on mixing a large number of different pills with each other or how they will affect a type 2 diabetic. It is possible that one or more of them is having an effect but there is no correlation between starting taking one or more of the drugs and the start of my troubles. Also it is not practical for me to stop taking any of them to see if this changes my BG as that could cause other problems that I dont even want to think about.

With regards to the Gliclazide it is a hail Mary but there is also another reason for it, if one or more of the other meds is causing my pancreas to shutdown then hopefully it will pick up again under this bombardment which will be good news BUT if it does happens it then becomes even more complicated as we then have to try and find out which of them is the cause and what I can then change to instead that wont affect me. Isnt life wonderful.  :D

Enough for tonight time for bed.

regards
john

John

Offline Paulines7

« Reply #10 on: 26 April 2017, 09:35:22 AM »
Hello John.  just saying hello and welcome back to the forum.  We won't have met before as I was only diagnosed three years ago.  Fortunately, I found this site a few days after dx so have been able to control my diabetes with a low carb diet, thanks to the advice on here. 

I too have osteoarthritis and know how painful that can be.  I have also had both knee joints replaced.  I am sorry to hear about your hip and hope they can sort it out soon.

I cannot help regarding advice on insulin or any other medication for your diabetes but I do suggest you try the low carb diet.  You could substitute orange and apple juice with no added sugar cranberry or cranberry and raspberry which have hardly any carbs. I would also recommend you cut out bread, potatoes and those end of day biscuits.  Patti is writing a leaflet on diet which is going to be printed for her local health centre to hand out.  You may find the thread about it makes interesting reading.  The link is here:  http://diabetes-support.org.uk/diabetes_forum/index.php/topic,7097.0.html   

Diabetes Type2 diagnosed March 2014.  Treated by diet only.  HbA1c 60 on diagnosis, 52 in June 2014, 50 October 2014, 44 December 2014, 48 May 2015, 50 Sep 2015, 53 Jan 2016, 50 Oct 2016, 56 Feb 2017, 50 Jun 2017. 50 Aug 2017.  Pacemaker fitted 2008.

When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want 'em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Offline Venomous

« Reply #11 on: 26 April 2017, 10:02:05 AM »
I don't think we've met, but loved your intro!! Do you write at all?

hi and welcome back and hopefully you'll feel stronger with some good support.

Giving up that juice would be a good start. Sorry, I know you must enjoy it. When we have T2 we enjoy all those things that boost sugars.
T2 and PCOS. Just had large serous adenofibroma removed with ovary and fallopian tube. Bp is now normal!

Novorapid, levemir, trulicity, metformin.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #12 on: 26 April 2017, 07:40:55 PM »
Hi again John
Breakfast, either a glass of orange or apple or toast or eggs and bacon.

Lunch, A sandwich or low carb crackers and meat or meat and a bit of salad.

Evening, Cooked meal consisting of meat, a small portion of potatoes and peas.

Bedtime, a couple of digestive or hobnobs.

I've highlighted the items in your diet which will raise BGs.  I know others have mentioned the juice, and yes, lots of people use 100ml of juice as a hypo cure, so you can see, it's fast sugar going into your body.  I know Pauline finds the Cranberry juice easier on her BGs.  Depending on the bread you have for toast that can also cause a quick, high rise.  Even with insulin I find 1 round toast (I only use Burgen Soya and Linseed @ 12g carb per slice) shoots BGs up quite a bit first thing in the morning, whereas you might tolerate it better later in the day.  You know yourself about potatoes, and peas are one of the higher carb veg.  Why do you eat sweet biscuits at bedtime?  That's a genuine query, cos they will shoot BGs up and affect your morning BGs.  I know lots of T2s have a cracker with some protein such as cheese before bed to combat dawn phenomenon but that is a much lower carb item combined with fat and protein to iron out the spike.

Having said all that I'm not coming down like a ton of bricks I do assure you, no point in making life miserable, you do have to be able to sustain your way of life long term and I suspect your diet is minimal (with the exception of the juice) as a cause of your high BGs.

I suspect, and please correct me if I am wrong, that amongst your cornucopia of meds there is at least one steroid medication and probably a statin, both of which will raise BGs - in particular the steroid meds.  If so then it might be that there's nothing you can do about it and you may well only have the option of insulin to reduce your BGs and maybe your nurse is well aware of that.  I suspect she is.

If you can list all your meds we can probably pinpoint the culprits.

Sorry you are having such trials.... it's awful!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline John

• John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #13 on: 27 April 2017, 01:13:17 PM »
Hello John.  just saying hello and welcome back to the forum.  We won't have met before as I was only diagnosed three years ago.  Fortunately, I found this site a few days after dx so have been able to control my diabetes with a low carb diet, thanks to the advice on here. 

I too have osteoarthritis and know how painful that can be.  I have also had both knee joints replaced.  I am sorry to hear about your hip and hope they can sort it out soon.

I cannot help regarding advice on insulin or any other medication for your diabetes but I do suggest you try the low carb diet.  You could substitute orange and apple juice with no added sugar cranberry or cranberry and raspberry which have hardly any carbs. I would also recommend you cut out bread, potatoes and those end of day biscuits.  Patti is writing a leaflet on diet which is going to be printed for her local health centre to hand out.  You may find the thread about it makes interesting reading.  The link is here:  http://diabetes-support.org.uk/diabetes_forum/index.php/topic,7097.0.html   

HI

Just read your sig and see you have a pacemaker as well, how are you getting on with it? I find mine wakes me up at night if I lie on it wronglly still as the doctor said having a lump of metal in you and disturbed sleep is better than the alternative.

I only have the orange juice as a treat maybe once every 2 months not sure why I included it in the list.

Thanks for the links very interesting I hadnt got that far into the forum yet.

regards
john
John

Offline John

• John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #14 on: 27 April 2017, 01:16:11 PM »
I don't think we've met, but loved your intro!! Do you write at all?

hi and welcome back and hopefully you'll feel stronger with some good support.

Giving up that juice would be a good start. Sorry, I know you must enjoy it. When we have T2 we enjoy all those things that boost sugars.

HI

I do not write much as I am dyslexic and have problems but the PC does help with that. I have in the past written some articles for club magazines for hobbies i am involved in and they always seemed to go down well.

regards
john
John