Author Topic: New heart valve gone wrong  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Avocado

• My French website
Re: New heart valve gone wrong
« Reply #30 on: 19 May 2017, 06:17:36 PM »
I had a CT coronary angiogram and another echocardiogram today at the Royal Brompton. It had all been arranged in advance of me seeing the consultant, so that's pretty efficient. So now wainting for the appointment which is the week after next !
Anne

Atypical Type 2, thin, not insulin resistant, diagnosed March 2007. Very low carb (30 - 50g per day) Paleo diet and exercise - Prandin (Repaglinide) 0.5mg. Aortic Valve Replacement Jan 2014, Osteoporosis, Small airways disease, probable coeliac - Strontium Ranelate 2g/d, Omacor 2g/d, vitamin K2 300mcg/d, Aviticol (vit D3) 20,000 IU every week, Qvar 100 2/day.

Current HbA1c 33 Current total cholesterol 7, HDL 3.5, LDL 3.2, triglycerides 0.4

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
    • Patti and Julian
« Reply #31 on: 19 May 2017, 08:13:14 PM »
Glad something is being done as quickly as it is.  Hope things continue to move apace Anne.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Idreamofchocolate

« Reply #32 on: 19 May 2017, 09:28:11 PM »
Hello Anne, I'm sorry I am late reading your thread. I'm sorry, too, that you are having to face this now. Puts my piffling gallbladder operation into perspective. I hope the progress of this goes smoothly and quickly. I am sure you will be in excellent hands all round. Flowers for you
Maureen

Type 2 diagnosed June 08. Taking Amlodipine 10mg, Doxazosin 12mg and Propranolol 20mg

“When having a smackerel of something with a friend, don't eat so much that you get stuck in the doorway trying to get out.” A. A. Milne

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: 20 May 2017, 12:29:36 AM »
Glad to hear than Anne - not too long now.

Puts my piffling gallbladder operation into perspective.

Excuse me Mrs IDOC - are you getting it done at LAST??
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline Avocado

• My French website
« Reply #34 on: 20 May 2017, 07:04:17 AM »
Hi Maurenn - I wonder too, are you getting your gall bladder done ? I remember all the tourble you had a couple of years ago. Lovely flowers thank you !
Anne

Atypical Type 2, thin, not insulin resistant, diagnosed March 2007. Very low carb (30 - 50g per day) Paleo diet and exercise - Prandin (Repaglinide) 0.5mg. Aortic Valve Replacement Jan 2014, Osteoporosis, Small airways disease, probable coeliac - Strontium Ranelate 2g/d, Omacor 2g/d, vitamin K2 300mcg/d, Aviticol (vit D3) 20,000 IU every week, Qvar 100 2/day.

Current HbA1c 33 Current total cholesterol 7, HDL 3.5, LDL 3.2, triglycerides 0.4

« Reply #35 on: 20 May 2017, 03:02:52 PM »

Ha ha, I wondered if you'd cotton on! I had my scan last Saturday, and the doctor said he could 'see obstruction now' and that it was imperative I had the operation otherwise he could pretty much guarantee me becoming jaundiced etc. To be honest, I don't need much encouragement now because I'm getting attacks every couple of days and they're wearing me out. I can't eat properly and I've lost two stones since Christmas. This is hardly any life. So, frightened as I am, I know I have no choice  :(  Am seeing the GP on Monday. Scan results may have taken longer because the hospital was hit by that hacking.
Maureen

Type 2 diagnosed June 08. Taking Amlodipine 10mg, Doxazosin 12mg and Propranolol 20mg

“When having a smackerel of something with a friend, don't eat so much that you get stuck in the doorway trying to get out.” A. A. Milne

« Reply #36 on: 20 May 2017, 03:05:41 PM »
Hi Maurenn - I wonder too, are you getting your gall bladder done ? I remember all the tourble you had a couple of years ago. Lovely flowers thank you !
You're welcome, Anne, and yes, as above, it looks like I'm hospital bound fairly soon!
Maureen

Offline Dr DeEath

« Reply #37 on: 20 May 2017, 05:51:23 PM »
I have found out that one of the local cardiac unit refers some of the most difficult cases to the Royal Brompton although no mention is made of this is made on their website. So it looks as if you are in excellent hand Avocado...
T1 for over 50 years.  MDI on Porcine insulin.  Lisinopril and Atorvastatin.

Offline Avocado

• My French website
« Reply #38 on: 20 May 2017, 07:48:15 PM »
I have found out that one of the local cardiac unit refers some of the most difficult cases to the Royal Brompton although no mention is made of this is made on their website. So it looks as if you are in excellent hand Avocado...
I hope you're right Dr DeEath ! I'm not quite so sure now. Initially I thought the Brompton was efficient in organising the CT coronary angiogram and echocardiogram, but now not sure at all. I've had two CT coronary angiograms in the past, one only three years ago - all clear, calcium score zero, no plaque, no blockages in my coronary arteries, so why do another one ? Exposing me to unnecessary radiation ? Coronary plaque doesn't build up so quickly afasik? And why do another echocardiogram when I had had one two weeks previously from a cardiologist who is a "national and international expert in echocardiography" ? Does the Brompton think that their technician is better than a cardiologist who is renowned in echocardiography ? Even the technician knew of the cardiologist. My feeling is the Brompton decided to do standard tests before I saw the consultant (referral letter said I had diabetes and hypercholesterolemia so 2 and 2 was put together whereas they should have found out more adding that up to make 4, if you get my meaning). As the hours pass I am increasingly annoyed actually  :banghead:  They should actually have done a transoesophageal echocardiogram or a 3D echocardiogram to view the replacement valve in more detail.

I do hope your eye problem resolves without problems Dr DeEath, and that you get your cardiology appointment soon !
Anne

Offline Venomous

« Reply #39 on: 21 May 2017, 09:56:00 AM »
I hope you're right Dr DeEath ! I'm not quite so sure now. Initially I thought the Brompton was efficient in organising the CT coronary angiogram and echocardiogram, but now not sure at all. I've had two CT coronary angiograms in the past, one only three years ago - all clear, calcium score zero, no plaque, no blockages in my coronary arteries, so why do another one ? Exposing me to unnecessary radiation ? Coronary plaque doesn't build up so quickly afasik? And why do another echocardiogram when I had had one two weeks previously from a cardiologist who is a "national and international expert in echocardiography" ? Does the Brompton think that their technician is better than a cardiologist who is renowned in echocardiography ? Even the technician knew of the cardiologist. My feeling is the Brompton decided to do standard tests before I saw the consultant (referral letter said I had diabetes and hypercholesterolemia so 2 and 2 was put together whereas they should have found out more adding that up to make 4, if you get my meaning). As the hours pass I am increasingly annoyed actually  :banghead:  They should actually have done a transoesophageal echocardiogram or a 3D echocardiogram to view the replacement valve in more detail.

I do hope your eye problem resolves without problems Dr DeEath, and that you get your cardiology appointment soon !

I think it is procedural. I have had three in the last 6 months and each time they find nothing. I was thinking... maybe they are just desperate to find something wrong so as not to do surgery on my ovaries, but other than the first time, its been before seeing the consultant, so maybe that's just what they do.  I also have high cholesterol and clean arteries... I think they just can't quite believe that those things exist simultaneously.

I hope you are alright otherwise, don't let them make you feel under pressure, they should be looking after you!
T2 and PCOS. Waiting for surgery on large ovarian masses.

Novorapid, levemir, trulicity, gliclazide, metformin.
Aspirin, Diltiazem.

Offline BBarb

• XDBB
« Reply #40 on: 21 May 2017, 11:50:17 AM »
Its always encouraging when things are getting done swiftly, I'm sure the feel-good feeling you get from knowing you are finally on the way helps your system to heal itself.  Good luck and may you soon be well again.

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: 21 May 2017, 11:57:16 AM »
Your results are so completely not what it says in the textbook, that of course the chap needs to check them for himself.  The previous bloke may well be world renowned etc - that doesn't make him infallible - and you KNOW that !  Professor Rory what his name (the statins bloke) is renowned too as was Ancel Keys .... I rest my case!  LOL
Jenny

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline Venomous

« Reply #42 on: 21 May 2017, 03:52:53 PM »

Ha ha, I wondered if you'd cotton on! I had my scan last Saturday, and the doctor said he could 'see obstruction now' and that it was imperative I had the operation otherwise he could pretty much guarantee me becoming jaundiced etc. To be honest, I don't need much encouragement now because I'm getting attacks every couple of days and they're wearing me out. I can't eat properly and I've lost two stones since Christmas. This is hardly any life. So, frightened as I am, I know I have no choice  :(  Am seeing the GP on Monday. Scan results may have taken longer because the hospital was hit by that hacking.

Ooh I didn't want to ask because I didn't want you to feel pressured, but I so hope you get it done soon now. I know it will be scary as it always is in hospital but you will feel SO much better once it's finished!! Just keep telling yourself it's nearly over now xx
T2 and PCOS. Waiting for surgery on large ovarian masses.

Novorapid, levemir, trulicity, gliclazide, metformin.
Aspirin, Diltiazem.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
    • Patti and Julian
« Reply #43 on: 21 May 2017, 05:03:20 PM »
Same reason I didn't ask... but you know I think you would be so much better off having it done!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: 21 May 2017, 10:34:19 PM »
We all stopped asking Maureen for the same reason LOL - but IDOC - that doesn't mean any of us stopped worrying about you!

I hope they don't keep you hanging on, cos once you know 'Yep - let's do it, then!' - it's best to get it over and done with PDQ - and very unsettling having to wait!
Jenny