Author Topic: A new adventure  (Read 1308 times)

Offline John

• John Taylor Woodturner
A new adventure
« on: 05 May 2017, 04:33:30 PM »
And it has begun.

I had a nice meeting with my DSN this morning and after going over everything and looking at different options we have agreed that I would start on Insulin today.

It was funny she asked me how I felt about it and I said "not thrilled about it but I like seeing things and having two legs and 10 toes so we will make it work" this got a laugh.

She said we will start slow and build up and adjust things as needed so I am on 10 units/clicks of Levemir to be taken at 6pm each day and she will ring me on Monday to see how I am getting on she also gave me her direct line phone number and said to ring her if I am not happy. She also said to test every hour tonight and just before going to bed to make sure I am not going too low and to keep the meter by the bed along with glucose tablets in case I go low during the night. Also reduced my gliclazide to 160mg a day.

Seems straight forward really.  ;)

Now back to a proper diet and to get rid of all the stuff that is sending me too high, hopefully.

I am really looking forward to 6pm tonight :nurse:

john
John

Type 2, diag 2006, Metformin sr 1000mg, Gliclazide 160mg, Levemir 16units

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Re: A new adventure
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2017, 06:08:22 PM »
John

Honestly, you will very soon get used to injecting.  It doesn't really hurt at all.  One tip, touch the end of the needle gently to your skin, if that hurts then you may have a nerve there, so move it half an inch or so and try again.  If you do stick it right in and it hurts then it's better to grin and bear it than pull it out and try somewhere else as you will already have blunted the needle.

She said we will start slow and build up and adjust things as needed so I am on 10 units/clicks of Levemir to be taken at 6pm each day
We refer to them as units, although I know she means that the pen clicks at each turn, but if you generally refer to clicks you may find people are puzzled as to what you are talking about.  That's quite a low dose of insulin especially since I presume your body weight is in the men's range.  You may find it doesn't last the full 24 hours, but it sounds like you have a good helpful nurse who will guide you through it at least to start with.

Please keep us updated on how you go on!  I shall be following your adventure with interest! ;D

Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline John

• John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2017, 06:47:01 PM »
Thanks Patti

First injection done and I survived  :mandysballoon:

Seriously though no problems it might have been luck but we will see, I will try your method tomorrow.

I thought it was units but as I was typing it I wasnt sure.

I will keep you updated, now just need to sort my diet out again.

john
John

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2017, 07:48:42 PM »
Your first hurdle over John.... let's see how your BG is in the morning!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2017, 01:01:55 PM »
Oooh yeah, when you go through or touch a nerve, however it's over with a few secs later after you've delivered to insulin and removed the needle.

However if it's a 'thread' vein you happen to break (I reckon you go straight through em and out the far side - when you withdraw the needle, you bleed like a stuck pig!  OMG - have I breached an artery?  Am I going to bleed to death?  ..... then logic kicks in again and you realise the red stuff isn't shooting halfway across the room, just trickling out!  LOL  So grab anything handy that can be washed or chucked away and press on the site as hard as you possibly can with one finger for 'a bit' - same as when the phlebotomist takes the needle out when having blood tests.  Wait another half a minute, the GENTLY clean the dried blood off the affected bit of you.

Sounds horrific - but honestly - only happens very rarely - still a shock even now when I do it, and I could still probably count these events on the fingers of two hands even after all these years.  Have only felt the need to stick a plaster on about twice in my life, cos I happened to be wearing something very pale I didn't want stained!
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline John

• John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #5 on: 06 May 2017, 01:49:41 PM »
Oooh yeah, when you go through or touch a nerve, however it's over with a few secs later after you've delivered to insulin and removed the needle.

However if it's a 'thread' vein you happen to break (I reckon you go straight through em and out the far side - when you withdraw the needle, you bleed like a stuck pig!  OMG - have I breached an artery?  Am I going to bleed to death?  ..... then logic kicks in again and you realise the red stuff isn't shooting halfway across the room, just trickling out!  LOL  So grab anything handy that can be washed or chucked away and press on the site as hard as you possibly can with one finger for 'a bit' - same as when the phlebotomist takes the needle out when having blood tests.  Wait another half a minute, the GENTLY clean the dried blood off the affected bit of you.

Sounds horrific - but honestly - only happens very rarely - still a shock even now when I do it, and I could still probably count these events on the fingers of two hands even after all these years.  Have only felt the need to stick a plaster on about twice in my life, cos I happened to be wearing something very pale I didn't want stained!

HI Sedge
That is one of the things I worry about as I am on Warfarin and tend to bleed a lot, had a few nurses worry when they took a blood sample and it wouldnt stop for some time. But I have ways and means to sort that out so not really too worried.

john
John

Offline Liam

• Global Moderator
  • We live to fight another day.
« Reply #6 on: 06 May 2017, 02:04:44 PM »
I wouldn't worry to much about it John. Even on blood thinners I doubt it will be much blood. To be completely honest I've always been more worried that what was coming out was a mix of blood and insulin (and so I wasn't going to get the full dose / an unknown dose) Again like everyone has said it is rare for it to happen. I guess it might be a bit more common for you being on Warfarin.

DX Type I 1994.    Novorapid Animas Vibe pump
HbA1c 3/10 10.2%, 7/10 8.1%, 12/10 7.5%.
2/11 7.8%, 8/11 8.6% 9/11 8.3%.
3/12 62 (7.8%). 10/12 67 (8.3%)
4/13 63 (7.9%) 6/13 59 (7.5%)
1/14 71 (8.6%) 7/14 59 (7.5%) 11/14 (6.7%)
3/15 56 (7.3%) 12/15 49 (6.6%)
Ramipril: 10mg Quetiapine: 550mg Metformin: 2000mg

Offline John

• John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #7 on: 06 May 2017, 02:48:23 PM »
Day 1 and nothing very good to report YET. :)

Injected at 6pm yesterday and about 1/2 hour later started to feel a bit light headed and this stayed with me all evening, woke up this morning with a headache and still have it and also a bit light headed. Possible side effects from the insulin, according to them, so I will have to wait and see what happens hopefully it will all settle down soon.

So my usual morning BG has been in the range of 12 to 14mm and after lunch and before my afternoon cuppa it is usually about 16mm before my evening meal it is around 14/15mm and about an hour and a half after meal around 18mm and about 11pm when I go to bed around 14/17mm.

A strange thing I noticed and tested last week was that if I had a cup of tea or coffee with just a small splash of semi skimmed milk an hour later my BG had gone up by 3.0mm. But if I drank it black it didnt rise at all.

So yesterday afternoon I was running a bit high for no reason that I can work out but here are my figures for yesterday PM all in mmol

15.00 - before cuppa - 20.6
18.00 - before injection and meal - 22.3
19.20 - after meal - 25.4
19.59 - 24.1
20.59 - 23.4
22.22 - 22.0
23.21 - bed time - 18.6
So coming down a bit quicker than previously but not by very much.

Had a very good nights sleep until I woke up at 5.55 this morning feeling very hot and sweating profusely probably liver dump or dawn thingy. So I got out of bed and walked around in the bathroom until I cooled down then went back to bed. Woke up 2 hours later, well it is Saturday and swore at myself for not taking my BG at 5.55. Got washed etc and took my BG it was 11.3 took it again 20 min later and it was 12.9 so I had a cuppa. Took another reading at 11.15 I was 14.8 had another cuppa before lunch at 12.48 I was at 13.2 and so it goes on.

So some evidence it is working also that I need to change dose to maybe twice a day and lower the evening one. However I dont want to upset my DSN so need to talk to her first and it is only the evidence of the first day so things might change over the next few days and I will talk to her on Monday.

I wish this headache would go.

john
John

Offline John

• John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #8 on: 06 May 2017, 02:51:23 PM »
I wouldn't worry to much about it John. Even on blood thinners I doubt it will be much blood. To be completely honest I've always been more worried that what was coming out was a mix of blood and insulin (and so I wasn't going to get the full dose / an unknown dose) Again like everyone has said it is rare for it to happen. I guess it might be a bit more common for you being on Warfarin.

Hi Liam
I try not to worry about these things but I know how bad it can be, I had to go to the hospital one day because after a finger prick it just wouldnt stop bleeding. It wasnt very fast but there still seemed to be a lot of it, they put a bit of superglue on it which worked. I wish I had thought of that as I have a load of it in the workshop.

john
John

Offline Liam

• Global Moderator
  • We live to fight another day.
« Reply #9 on: 06 May 2017, 06:23:20 PM »
I wouldn't expect much in the way of results yet. They always start you on too low a dose and slowly move it up until it starts working. This is a safety thing, they are super worried about hypos. There is some good reasons for that but as a insulin user we tend to get so used to them and aren't maybe as worried as we should be. I'm sure the nurse will up the dose next time you speak to them.

Your average BG is pretty high so you might feel a bit strange just from it coming down. Bit early for this since your numbers haven't come down much yet. The body sort of gets used to being high and can think lower numbers are a bad thing. It soon resets and gets used to 'normal' levels again.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about smallish rises of say 3 right now. What you need is a lowering of your average BG, once you are down in the 5-10 range then you can look at the ups and downs.
DX Type I 1994.    Novorapid Animas Vibe pump
HbA1c 3/10 10.2%, 7/10 8.1%, 12/10 7.5%.
2/11 7.8%, 8/11 8.6% 9/11 8.3%.
3/12 62 (7.8%). 10/12 67 (8.3%)
4/13 63 (7.9%) 6/13 59 (7.5%)
1/14 71 (8.6%) 7/14 59 (7.5%) 11/14 (6.7%)
3/15 56 (7.3%) 12/15 49 (6.6%)
Ramipril: 10mg Quetiapine: 550mg Metformin: 2000mg

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 06 May 2017, 07:12:33 PM »
In addition to what Liam says (his remarks about your body needing to re-set it's warnings when BGs are a bit lower than they were, is spot on), you must know that Levemir has nothing to do with what you eat.  It is a background insulin only, which regulates bodily functions such as breathing, heart beating etc.  Please read this page for a more detailed explanation http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=120

Anything you eat or drink that has carbs in it will raise BGs despite the Levemir - to address intake of carbs you will need a rapid acting (or bolus) insulin, but since you are on gliclazide your own insulin may still be able to address meals when you take the glic.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: 07 May 2017, 12:06:48 AM »
Oh - and OK you have literally a shedload of superglue - but the thing is those nozzles have been in contact with a number of surfaces when using it before so can pick up all sorts of passing detritus along the way - wood dust, metal dust, good normal dust passing by on the air or anything.  This is why they use very tiny tubes of it in A&E, which even if they only use literally one drop - they sling the rest of the tube away.  Apart from the passing germs in a hospital environment anyway of course. 

Best treat yourself to a new tube, and keep it with other medical supplies to distinguish it from the DIY ones !

Not as vicious as Warfarin by any means - however both Patti and I have been on Clopidogrel, another blood thinner, for some time - and I haven't noticed any more 'gushers' or bruises, since I started taking it.
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 07 May 2017, 09:26:33 AM »
Nor have I Sedge, but since we don't get dire warnings with Clopidogrel as people on Warfarin do, I've assumed it doesn't thin so aggressively?
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline John

• John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #13 on: 07 May 2017, 01:45:09 PM »
HI Liam

Not worried about fast results as I know that anything worth having takes a bit of work and time so I will just keep plodding on  :)

Having said that things seem to be starting to move my highest BG yesterday was 19.3mm which was an hour after my main meal and it was below the before reading 2 hours later, time will tell if that is a fluke or not.

In my discussion with my DSN she said not to alter my diet too much in the first week so we could see what happens.

John

Offline John

• John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #14 on: 07 May 2017, 02:11:28 PM »

HI Patti

As I said sometimes a ton of bricks is needed and you deliver them so well and at the right time, this is a compliment in case you are wondering.

I did read that page on Friday but I think the info you mentioned got lost in amongst the other stuff I was reading on some of the establishment sites which don’t seem to mention this at all. There info just seems to say that basal insulin works on your BG 24 hours a day and bolus is for mealtimes.

It is not that I disbelieved you but I had another search to see how basal works and once I knew what I was looking for found other sites which are more general medical based than just diabetes and found a lot of info which matches into what you have said perfectly.

I think I have it straight now but I could be wrong, here is my simplistic view of what has/is happening.

When I was diagnosed with type 2 back in 2006 my body either wasnt producing enough insulin or had become resistant to it so I was put on Metformin to counter act this and for several years everything was OK and I had good control.

Over the last 3 to 4 years my BG has been increasing and this has probably been because my Pancreas has been producing less and less insulin. As we know the body is very good at preserving life so the insulin I have been producing has been used mainly to keep the body working and anything left over has been used to control BG.

So now I am on basal injections so that will go to running my body and than any left over from that together with any insulin my pancreas is producing is used to correct my BG. If there isn’t enough left over to combat spikes etc then I might have to go on bolus as well.

As I said it was a simplistic view any corrections, comments etc good or bad are always welcome.

John