Author Topic: hotels in truro/falmouth  (Read 474 times)

Offline Venomous

hotels in truro/falmouth
« on: 21 May 2017, 09:43:55 AM »
We are heading down to Cornwall once the kids are out of school this year. I think I made a mistake in just assuming that hotels would be easy to find! Does anyone have any recommendations of places to stay in either Truro (as that's where the train from London puts us) or in Falmouth (as that's where we are heading). I think I kinda assumed there would be all the big hotel chains and I'd find getting rooms easy! There will be five of us, so apartments/suites are better than just rooms (privacy!). Wanting to pick the brains of those with way more knowledge than me! :)
T2 and PCOS. Just had large serous adenofibroma removed with ovary and fallopian tube. Bp is now normal!

Novorapid, levemir, trulicity, metformin.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Re: hotels in truro/falmouth
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2017, 02:24:58 PM »
V

There really aren't any chain hotels in the centre of Truro.  The Premier Inn is 3 miles from town and you would definitely need a car.  Within a reasonable taxi ride from the station is the County Arms.  I don't know anything about it, but I have been told the food is quite good (they do lots of weddings).  It certainly has gorgeous views, but it's a longish walk into town.  You will need a taxi to anywhere actually as the station is outside the town centre by about 10/15 minutes walk (depending on which bit of the town).  In the town centre is Mannings Hotel.  Don't know anything much about the rooms but the food is good and we sometimes have lunch there when we go into Truro for the day.  They do have apartments as well as rooms.  Another possibility is The Sleepery which is all apartments, but I know nothing at all about it.  Alverton Hotel is big and posh and I have been to various training days/exhibitions there.  It's further out than Manning's but an easy walk into town, as is the Clifton Guest House.  I'm presuming you only want 1 night in transit and not to stay the full time as Truro is a long way from Falmouth on public transport.

In Falmouth there are a lot of big hotels but they are relatively expensive although I know the St Michael's hotel does some good deals, but possibly only in winter?

Have you thought of renting a complete house/apartment instead of a hotel?  There are a lot of great looking places on Airbnb in Falmouth which would accommodate your whole family, such as https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/15969915?guests=5&adults=2&children=3&location=Falmouth%2C%20Cornwall&s=gp_FeEUp or this one https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/3638819?guests=5&adults=2&children=3&location=Falmouth%2C%20Cornwall&s=gp_FeEUp

Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Venomous

« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2017, 03:46:10 PM »
V

There really aren't any chain hotels in the centre of Truro.  The Premier Inn is 3 miles from town and you would definitely need a car.  Within a reasonable taxi ride from the station is the County Arms.  I don't know anything about it, but I have been told the food is quite good (they do lots of weddings).  It certainly has gorgeous views, but it's a longish walk into town.  You will need a taxi to anywhere actually as the station is outside the town centre by about 10/15 minutes walk (depending on which bit of the town).  In the town centre is Mannings Hotel.  Don't know anything much about the rooms but the food is good and we sometimes have lunch there when we go into Truro for the day.  They do have apartments as well as rooms.  Another possibility is The Sleepery which is all apartments, but I know nothing at all about it.  Alverton Hotel is big and posh and I have been to various training days/exhibitions there.  It's further out than Manning's but an easy walk into town, as is the Clifton Guest House.  I'm presuming you only want 1 night in transit and not to stay the full time as Truro is a long way from Falmouth on public transport.

In Falmouth there are a lot of big hotels but they are relatively expensive although I know the St Michael's hotel does some good deals, but possibly only in winter?

Have you thought of renting a complete house/apartment instead of a hotel?  There are a lot of great looking places on Airbnb in Falmouth which would accommodate your whole family, such as https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/15969915?guests=5&adults=2&children=3&location=Falmouth%2C%20Cornwall&s=gp_FeEUp or this one https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/3638819?guests=5&adults=2&children=3&location=Falmouth%2C%20Cornwall&s=gp_FeEUp

Thank you so much for this!

We have hired a house near (almost on!) the beach for the children to have a beach holiday (hopefully we will have a little sun). I had been thinking that it might be nice to stay in Truro for a night or two and have a look at the Cathedral... but maybe it will be too difficult due to the location and going by train.

I kinda wanted to split up the journey a little as Lily will have to sit still for about 5 hours on the train.

So I have two nights that I need to find a place to stay... maybe it will have to be in Falmouth itself but that's a shame as we will have plenty of time there.

I hadn't heard of airbnb before so I will take a look at that! I generally use the cottages.com site.  I think I made the ignorant mistake of thinking there were hotel chains everywhere!!
T2 and PCOS. Just had large serous adenofibroma removed with ovary and fallopian tube. Bp is now normal!

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2017, 05:00:58 PM »
Venemous

There are some cracking Airbnb places in Truro and they will often accept bookings off that site for only one or two nights.  https://www.airbnb.co.uk

You can do a search on your dates and specify "Whole house" and all sorts of other filters.  Worth a look anyway even if you've left it a bit late  ;D
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Venomous

« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2017, 08:19:52 PM »
Thank you :)

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2017, 10:43:37 PM »
I will be interested to know what you get in the end V and if it is any good.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Venomous

« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2017, 06:45:44 PM »
I will be interested to know what you get in the end V and if it is any good.

I'll let you know!

Offline Venomous

« Reply #7 on: 05 August 2017, 09:50:20 PM »
Just to follow up as promised, we stayed at "The Falmouth Hotel" for a few days. I wouldn't recommend it, it's located in a beautiful breath-taking place looking out to the Atlantic, and the ceilings are high and corridors wide, but it looks tired and the carpets are threadbare in places and have lots of stains and the whole place has a nasty wet/mildew/damp smell to it. It looked like it was nice "yesteryear", but not now. We then stayed at a privately hired modern apartment overlooking gylly beach which was wonderful. We had heaps of space. The weather was so so, but we were only completely rained out one day, and we spent at least three days on the beach, another at the National Maritime Museum and at Pendennis Castle, lovely. Back to work Monday!

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 06 August 2017, 11:15:49 AM »
I am afraid that all too many hotels rely on past glories.  Unfortunately for the big hotels they then have to rely on special offers and their profit margin isn't high enough to do vast improvements needed.

Glad you enjoyed your apartment though and the rest of the holiday.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans