Author Topic: PAD - A precursor to heart disease  (Read 382 times)

Offline Dr DeEath

PAD - A precursor to heart disease
« on: 27 May 2017, 06:15:55 PM »
If you have read my previous posts you will know I suffer from PAD and after yesterday's cardio appointment am waiting tests to confirm suspected narrowing of the coronary arteries. As PADis the same issue I wonder if a diagnosis of PAD should be followed up by a heart check on diagnosis and regularly thereafter. Yesterday's appointment was the first time I have had any type of heart check.

The other reason I say this is that average survival time after a diabetic amputation is less than five years. Sadly the UK lags behind the US and much of Western Europe in revascularisation procedures. After angioplasty four years ago I was able to walk a mile three days later after being limited to less than 100 yds. Sadly I was back to where I started after two years. My original consulant's replacement has a watch and wait attitude. I cannot help but wonder if my inability to walk any distance has made the coronary issues progress faster?*!
T1 for over 50 years.  MDI on Porcine insulin.  Lisinopril and Atorvastatin.

Offline GrammaBear

Re: PAD - A precursor to heart disease
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2017, 09:51:55 PM »
I hope your doctors will be able to resolve your current issues and you will once again feel more like walking a bit further than now.  I hope for the best possible outcome for you.
Type 1
Tandem Tslim pump Oct 2015
Dexcom G4 CGM Sep 2007
A1C 6.5%~ Sep 2017

Offline Venomous

« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2017, 08:33:12 AM »
Based on my own experiences, I think their "watch and wait" is more to do with "the NHS is in a state so we aren't doing anything" than being helpful to its patients. I havent worked out yet how to make them respond differently.

I hope you manage to get better treatment.
T2 and PCOS. Just had large serous adenofibroma removed with ovary and fallopian tube. Bp is now normal!

Novorapid, levemir, trulicity, metformin.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2017, 09:39:52 AM »
I think that on the whole the NHS staff work very hard in spite of the funding issues which the service is currently facing.  Rather than criticising them as being uncaring perhaps we should be supporting them by doing everything in our power to ensure the government has a re-think on the funding issues.  There's a general election coming up.  Use your votes people!

Having said that I do have every sympathy for those adversely affected.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Avocado

• My French website
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2017, 12:12:05 PM »
I sometimes think that the NHS is quite happy to shorten waiting lists by letting people pop off while they wait to see consultants/have operations/and so on so that they don't need to be on the waiting list anymore. I know that's an awful thing to say as there are a huge number of very caring doctors and nursing staff, it is the admin/management that is the problem. It is admin/management that is trying to stick to targets to gain their ofsted points or get good reports or lower costs. The admin/management are not interested in patient care like the doctors and nurses are.
Anne

Atypical Type 2, thin, not insulin resistant, diagnosed March 2007. Very low carb (30 - 50g per day) Paleo diet and exercise - Prandin (Repaglinide) 0.5mg. Aortic Valve Replacement Jan 2014, Osteoporosis, Small airways disease, probable coeliac - Strontium Ranelate 2g/d, Omacor 2g/d, vitamin K2 300mcg/d, Aviticol (vit D3) 20,000 IU every week, Qvar 100 2/day.

Current HbA1c 33 Current total cholesterol 7, HDL 3.5, LDL 3.2, triglycerides 0.4

Offline Dr DeEath

« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2017, 03:16:41 PM »
I sometimes think that the NHS is quite happy to shorten waiting lists by letting people pop off while they wait to see consultants/have operations/and so on so that they don't need to be on the waiting list anymore. I know that's an awful thing to say as there are a huge number of very caring doctors and nursing staff, it is the admin/management that is the problem. It is admin/management that is trying to stick to targets to gain their ofsted points or get good reports or lower costs. The admin/management are not interested in patient care like the doctors and nurses are.

While I agree it is an awful thing to say I have to agree somewhat with Avocado! If the original plan of a further angioplasty and bypass behind the knee had been kept to (my original vascular surgeon was replaced by a "watch and wait" chap) would I have been able to exercise more (this limited walking is extremely frustrating) and the coronary problem highlighted earlier? Then I also get to thinking if when I had to rearrange my annual opthalmology check if it had not been pushed out  an additional six months would something have been spotted before and the bleed prevented (I know problems can occur rapidly)?

I also agree with the comment about targets. A friend of mine also does not have the flu jab yet we both get multiple letters and texts about it.

I generally have no complaints about the doctors, consultants and nurses I encounter but there do seem serious issues with the administration and ancillary staff. Recently a friend's mother-in-law was lost twice in three days whilst an inpatient. He said it was quite disturbing to turn up at visiting time to find her not there and nobody knowing where she was. On one occasion they were referred to five different people as everyone passed on the problem!

Offline Venomous

« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2017, 04:34:54 PM »
Similarly when I was in The Royal London, I went down for surgery about 1.15pm and my daughter was told I'd be back within the hour.... I wasn't as I had the dramatic response to the general anaesthetic. The surgeon went to the ward and told my daughter that I'd "had a massive heart attack" and to wait there until she heard something further. I was sent to Barts unconscious, I was finally put on the sytem there about midnight and she "found" me in ICU by literally walking from one ward to another as the patients details aren't logged until they are put in a bed... so for over 11 hours I was "lost", my family weren't told anything more and they had no idea what had happened.  My husband had literally started sorting out legal details.

The admin, if you can call it that, is atrocious.
T2 and PCOS. Just had large serous adenofibroma removed with ovary and fallopian tube. Bp is now normal!

Novorapid, levemir, trulicity, metformin.

Offline Liam

• Global Moderator
  • We live to fight another day.
« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2017, 04:46:23 PM »
That really is dreadful. You'd think there would be some kind of signing over system that left a paper trail the discharging (to other care) side could check. 
DX Type I 1994.    Novorapid Animas Vibe pump
HbA1c 3/10 10.2%, 7/10 8.1%, 12/10 7.5%.
2/11 7.8%, 8/11 8.6% 9/11 8.3%.
3/12 62 (7.8%). 10/12 67 (8.3%)
4/13 63 (7.9%) 6/13 59 (7.5%)
1/14 71 (8.6%) 7/14 59 (7.5%) 11/14 (6.7%)
3/15 56 (7.3%) 12/15 49 (6.6%)
Ramipril: 10mg Quetiapine: 550mg Metformin: 2000mg

Offline Dr DeEath

« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2017, 01:36:50 PM »
Similarly when I was in The Royal London, I went down for surgery about 1.15pm and my daughter was told I'd be back within the hour.... I wasn't as I had the dramatic response to the general anaesthetic. The surgeon went to the ward and told my daughter that I'd "had a massive heart attack" and to wait there until she heard something further. I was sent to Barts unconscious, I was finally put on the sytem there about midnight and she "found" me in ICU by literally walking from one ward to another as the patients details aren't logged until they are put in a bed... so for over 11 hours I was "lost", my family weren't told anything more and they had no idea what had happened.  My husband had literally started sorting out legal details.

The admin, if you can call it that, is atrocious.

A friend's relative was recently lost twice. The process seems to be to check you out of a ward and add you back into the database  sometime at their convenience after you have arrived at the new ward. In the interim the ward and b ed are unknown. I hope their recording for treatment/drugs is better !