Author Topic: Eat Well For Less  (Read 287 times)

Offline Dr DeEath

Eat Well For Less
« on: 12 June 2017, 10:07:15 PM »
I am not sure if this is the right sub-forum for this. If not please feel free to move it.

Whilst outside my usual limited viewing I watched this on CatchUp after reading the family that were the subject of the programme had a young diabetic child. The amount of money the family wasted on food was unbelievable - I never knew you could get pre-baked potatoes! Anyway what staggered me was the amount of non-carb snacks they were giving the lad. Whilst a good source of protein the amount of salt, additives and fat in them was horrendous. It reminded me of my diet sheet of half a century ago which featured unlimited butter and cheese. I cannot help but wonder if this together with fairly poor BG control (I was told to aim at 1/4% urine sugarr) sowed the seeds for my current problems.

It also made me wonder about the dietary advice given to parents. Hopefully it aims at a more balanced diet than the one my parents were given. Maybe someone with current experience could comment?
T1 for over 50 years.  MDI on Porcine insulin.  Lisinopril and Atorvastatin.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
    • Patti and Julian
Re: Eat Well For Less
« Reply #1 on: 13 June 2017, 07:51:45 AM »
Obviously, since I have not seen the programme, I cannot comment on the content of it and unfortunately, apart from the fact that jacket potatoes feature, you haven't given much of a clue as to what the child is eating.  You mention non-carb snacks and I wonder what they are?  With today's insulins there's really no need to snack between meals, I certainly don't, but if I were to then I would keep to low or non-carb items.  Though I suppose it's a feature of everyone's dietary habits these days to be constantly stuffing their mouths, not necessarily to do with feeding insulin.

To be honest many of the members here (in particular T2s) adhere to a low carb high fat diet to control their diabetes.  I tend to favour that route as it certainly makes control easier.  Also despite the terrible dietary advice we've been given over the past 20 or so years, (based on eating carbohydrate and avoiding fat) more recently many medics are now coming to the conclusin that the advice to avoid saturated fats has been wrong and that in fact they are perfectly healthy.  So in fact, your original diet sheet of 50 years ago was probably far better than the advice that has been given out in the last 20 or so years. 

If you take a peek in the sections regarding research and news you will get some idea of what I mean.

FWIW this is really more about diet, so I will move it to the diet section.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Liam

• Global Moderator
  • We live to fight another day.
« Reply #2 on: 13 June 2017, 02:42:56 PM »
I saw bits of it. The young boy (looked about 7-10ish) was snacking on low to no carb foods just to make life easier by not having to carb count. It was a lot of processed things mostly, peperami, fridge raiders, cold meat. The moved him onto carb based snacks, oat cakes and things like that. I do wonder if it is an age / growing thing that had him snacking so much.

The meals they had him on before the swap were worse than the snacks imo They had him eating ready meals because they have the carb count on the pack.
DX Type I 1994.    Novorapid Animas Vibe pump
HbA1c 3/10 10.2%, 7/10 8.1%, 12/10 7.5%.
2/11 7.8%, 8/11 8.6% 9/11 8.3%.
3/12 62 (7.8%). 10/12 67 (8.3%)
4/13 63 (7.9%) 6/13 59 (7.5%)
1/14 71 (8.6%) 7/14 59 (7.5%) 11/14 (6.7%)
3/15 56 (7.3%) 12/15 49 (6.6%)
Ramipril: 10mg Quetiapine: 550mg Metformin: 2000mg

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #3 on: 13 June 2017, 05:36:47 PM »
So if I understand correctly (and I'm not sure I do) they originally had him eating low-carb snacks and foods that made it easier to care for himself (due to having established carb counts) and they moved him onto snacks with carbs and food that is more complicated for him/his parents to carb count? I understand wanting to get him off prepared food, and that's definitely good overall, and it is cheaper which is the goal of the program, but it sounds like they might not have taken into account what the kid and his family's goals and needs really were.

As to your original question Dr D., it's as what Patti says. Nutrition recommendations have had things by the wrong end of the stick for a while. Fats, including saturated fats, are not bad for you and in fact can be quite good for you, same for salt it's now coming to light.  A lot of health problems, on the other hand, can be linked to a high-carb diet (or a low-fat diet which typically replaces fat calories with carb calories). If you don't give your body good quality ingredients to work with (for example in the case of cholesterol) it will put out shoddy stock and that's where the real problems start. Add increased glycation onto that (high carb content in the diet means more sugar in the blood blood means sugar molecules getting "stuck" on lots of different tissues - joint tissue, arteries, cholesterol molecules, etc. - and gumming up the works) and you're really in trouble. The best thing is to eat plenty of non-starchy vegetables and good quality proteins and fats, including meats, fish, eggs, cheese, nuts, use moderation on fruits and keep to a minimum on starches (including bread, pasta, rice, cereal, potatoes, corn, etc.) and sweets. And to eat a big variety of foods so you're sure to get a good balance of nutrients!
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 14 June 2017, 10:41:30 AM »
Yes - but the thing about the lad was he was apparently far from normal on the family diet - he was actually naturally producing vast amounts of insulin in order to deal with it, according to other reports of the prog I've read.

Our grandson did nothing BUT eat at that age - he absorbed food like blotting paper absorbs water!  Difference being his family ate healthily and nutritiously, with shedloads of sensible snacks always available once they saw this happening (and nutrition is never lacking in their house with mum a chef LOL) - plus lesser amounts of the usual sweet and savoury junk all kids love!  I suppose it must be growth hormones plus testosterone or something that makes boys do this a vast amount more than girls?
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline Paulines7

« Reply #5 on: 14 June 2017, 11:46:34 AM »
I remember my Mum saying that when my brother was in his early teens, he would come home from school and eat 12 Weetabix.  He was quite skinny too.  I suppose in the 1950's, boys were a lot more active than they are these days.  My 15 year old grandson spends hours doing things on his smart phone.  Fortunately, he also enjoys sports so he is not overweight.
Diabetes Type2 diagnosed March 2014.  Treated by diet only.  HbA1c 60 on diagnosis, 52 in June 2014, 50 October 2014, 44 December 2014, 48 May 2015, 50 Sep 2015, 53 Jan 2016, 50 Oct 2016, 56 Feb 2017, 50 Jun 2017. Pacemaker fitted 2008.

When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want 'em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #6 on: 14 June 2017, 03:12:43 PM »
Yes - but the thing about the lad was he was apparently far from normal on the family diet - he was actually naturally producing vast amounts of insulin in order to deal with it, according to other reports of the prog I've read.

I think you're thinking of the other thread we had going about a kid on a diet makeover program - can't imagine how one could ever confuse the two, LOL! The other one was insulin resistant and was supposed to eat cooked apples with cinnamon to redo his gut bacteria to try and prevent him getting T2. It sounds like the kid in this one was already T1, in which case switching him off of foods that can be easily carb counted seems like a not-negligeable inconvenience for him and his parents! But on the other hand I wouldn't want to live on packaged food and ready meals all the time either, so probably for the best in the end.
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
    • Patti and Julian
« Reply #7 on: 14 June 2017, 04:25:14 PM »
Sedge

I think you're referring to the "Doctor in the house" programme, not "Eat well for less".
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 14 June 2017, 10:39:11 PM »
Ooops!  As you can tell, I don't watch either LOL - and you're both correct!
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4