Author Topic: Facebook Fiends & Twitter Twits!  (Read 213 times)

Offline Dr DeEath

Facebook Fiends & Twitter Twits!
« on: 17 July 2017, 01:33:10 PM »
I am not a great fan of social media using neither of the above! Over the years I have belonged to FriendsReunited (do miss it) and LinkedIn (arm twisted to build a network by the Job Centre). My partner is a great fan. I do ask her not to mention me but she seems unable to resist. I got really annoyed the other day as someone had suggested to her I do not need to see a vascular surgeon as I am under a cardiologist, and it is all plumbing! She accepted this was all nonsense when I pointed out that she was not seeing the consultant who replaced her knee about her arthritic wrist (she does suffer quite badly with arthritis)! The conversation was fairly reminiscent of the one we had when her friend who works in a care home said I was paranoid about timing of insulin and meals, and BGs because she had done a "Diabetes in HalfADay". It terrifies me I might end up in a care/nursing home being looked after by people as stupid as this!
T1 for over 50 years.  MDI on Porcine insulin.  Lisinopril and Atorvastatin.

Offline Venomous

Re: Facebook Fiends & Twitter Twits!
« Reply #1 on: 18 July 2017, 10:03:56 AM »
The more contact I have with doctors the more I worry that medicine is at such an ignorant stage of development still and I worry how can all the support people be expected to know any better either.

I do like to do the research surveys and meetings and things with health professionals whenever I get chance as even in a small way, every little helps.

Probably would be better for you if she didn't discuss your diabetic issues online with people who don't know anything about it, but eh, we can't control what others decide to say and maybe its because she is worried....
T2 and PCOS. Waiting for surgery on large ovarian masses.

Novorapid, levemir, trulicity, gliclazide, metformin.
Aspirin, Diltiazem.

Offline Dr DeEath

« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2017, 01:21:07 PM »
It could be worry! I did get a book "Heart Disease For Dummies" , which explains the basics quite well, but rather than read it she is going online!
T1 for over 50 years.  MDI on Porcine insulin.  Lisinopril and Atorvastatin.

Offline Avocado

• My French website
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2017, 05:28:02 PM »
The more contact I have with doctors the more I worry that medicine is at such an ignorant stage of development still and I worry how can all the support people be expected to know any better either.
This recent blog from Dr Mike Eades might interest/explain: 'Why are doctors so stupid ?": https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2017/07/11/why-are-doctors-so-stupid/
Anne

Atypical Type 2, thin, not insulin resistant, diagnosed March 2007. Very low carb (30 - 50g per day) Paleo diet and exercise - Prandin (Repaglinide) 0.5mg. Aortic Valve Replacement Jan 2014, Osteoporosis, Small airways disease, probable coeliac - Strontium Ranelate 2g/d, Omacor 2g/d, vitamin K2 300mcg/d, Aviticol (vit D3) 20,000 IU every week, Qvar 100 2/day.

Current HbA1c 33 Current total cholesterol 7, HDL 3.5, LDL 3.2, triglycerides 0.4

Offline Venomous

« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2017, 07:41:00 PM »
Frustrating politics rather than what's best for the patient.
T2 and PCOS. Waiting for surgery on large ovarian masses.

Novorapid, levemir, trulicity, gliclazide, metformin.
Aspirin, Diltiazem.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
    • Patti and Julian
« Reply #5 on: 18 July 2017, 11:00:58 PM »
That is very US centric though.  In the UK it is more about what is handed down from the local trust which is at the mercy of a load of administrators who pick bits from the national guidelines.  Frankly crap.

Many many people even within the NHS are seeing the light!

BUT... back to the subject of Dr D's original point about social media, this forum is part of social media.  Also I belong to two groups on Facebook, one regarding my particular pump and one regarding the Abbott Freestyle Libre sensors which I have been trialling with lots of success for the last 2 weeks and previously I have done other trials and even bought them for myself at some expense.  I value the people I meet there as I value the people I meet here.  I have to say I also meet many people who are, or used to be members here. Things move on....

However, as to my husband, I generally do not discuss his business on Facebook, except when his prostate surgery was over and succeeded because so many friends had asked.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Avocado

• My French website
« Reply #6 on: 19 July 2017, 08:05:50 AM »
That is very US centric though.  In the UK it is more about what is handed down from the local trust which is at the mercy of a load of administrators who pick bits from the national guidelines.  Frankly crap.

Many many people even within the NHS are seeing the light!
US/UK it works out the same in the end - doctors generally not thinking for themselves, reading headlines or only abstracts in medical journals, not reading the details, and the MHRA only reading headlines and handing that down to doctors, along with NICE 'guidance' (which doesn't have to be followed) and QOF points (financial incentives) to prescrube certain meds and do certain tests to patients. It's lucky that there are still doctors around the world, like Dr Eades and Dr Kendrick who see the light - I see that one of the contributors to the new Diabetes Unpacked book is an NHS GP who has Type 1 diabetes :)
Anne

Atypical Type 2, thin, not insulin resistant, diagnosed March 2007. Very low carb (30 - 50g per day) Paleo diet and exercise - Prandin (Repaglinide) 0.5mg. Aortic Valve Replacement Jan 2014, Osteoporosis, Small airways disease, probable coeliac - Strontium Ranelate 2g/d, Omacor 2g/d, vitamin K2 300mcg/d, Aviticol (vit D3) 20,000 IU every week, Qvar 100 2/day.

Current HbA1c 33 Current total cholesterol 7, HDL 3.5, LDL 3.2, triglycerides 0.4

Offline BBarb

• XDBB
« Reply #7 on: 21 July 2017, 01:57:13 PM »
I really think Facebook is dangerous.  I admit I'm a member but I hardly ever post there nowadays because I find it frightening how many people can access my page just as I can access their's.  I've found out things about my grown up grandchildren that quite upset me.
Some how you must tactfully stress to your partner how much you hate people knowing about you and your diabetes, and try to explain just how stressful and embarrassing you find it. 
Whatever you do, don't get cross or she may just go onto her social pages and pour out her indignation to her online friends without thinking.  You can get posts deleted on FB but its quite a hassle, though if you tackle it tactfully she may agree to remove any mention of you from her  previous posts.  She's obviously concerned about you and you are obviously in the front of her thoughts so her actions won't have been meant to upset you.