Author Topic: Do you use apps to log your diet and/or exercise?  (Read 237 times)

Offline ischoolpam

Do you use apps to log your diet and/or exercise?
« on: 20 July 2017, 09:59:48 AM »
Hi, I am a lecturer and researcher at the University of Sheffield Information School, and I'm interested in finding out more about how people with type 2 diabetes use mobile apps to log diet and/or exercise as a way to help manage their condition.  In particular, I'm interested in how people choose a suitable app, the level of diligence in using it, perceptions of how trustworthy the information is that they get from the app, and any opinions on data sharing and data privacy.

You can contribute to the research by completing a short online survey that should take no more than 10 minutes of your time: https://t.co/7qzCmMkTiS

There is a little more information about the project on our website: http://bit.ly/2ryR1Z4

Thank you for your time

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Re: Do you use apps to log your diet and/or exercise?
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2017, 10:37:12 AM »
Approved by admin (links added by admin too)
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Avocado

• My French website
« Reply #2 on: 21 July 2017, 07:23:39 AM »
There's nowhere, apart from on the first page of the questionnaire, for a person to indicate that they don't use a mobile app to log diet/exercise. When I first was diagnosed I logged my diet on my computer but no longer need to as I know the carbs of the food I eat. I do log my blood glucose levels on my computer (plus the meter remembers), but that isn't a "mobile app."

I do think that if someone is researching how people use mobile apps to log diet and exercise they should find out who doesn't use an app and how they 'log' it, so to speak, with other methods.....shouldn't they ?
Anne

Atypical Type 2, thin, not insulin resistant, diagnosed March 2007. Very low carb (30 - 50g per day) Paleo diet and exercise - Prandin (Repaglinide) 0.5mg. Aortic Valve Replacement Jan 2014, Osteoporosis, Small airways disease, probable coeliac - Strontium Ranelate 2g/d, Omacor 2g/d, vitamin K2 300mcg/d, Aviticol (vit D3) 20,000 IU every week, Qvar 100 2/day.

Current HbA1c 33 Current total cholesterol 7, HDL 3.5, LDL 3.2, triglycerides 0.4

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2017, 09:11:15 AM »
I agree Anne.  Although I am T1 and therefore not included in the survey, I find apps too fiddly - I prefer my phone to take photos, make calls and texts only.  I log on a spreadsheet on the PC but only at times when I am trying to sort a problem out.

At the moment I am deprived of my PC as there is nowhere to put it in our temporary accommodation.  What I hadn't appreciated was that all my appointments and diary are on the PC with suitable reminders.  I nearly missed an appointment with the DSN at the clinic this week!  Fortunately my hubby reminded me and it was at the local hospital and not the county hospital an hour's drive away.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Avocado

• My French website
« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2017, 09:38:28 AM »
What I hadn't appreciated was that all my appointments and diary are on the PC with suitable reminders.  I nearly missed an appointment with the DSN at the clinic this week!  Fortunately my hubby reminded me and it was at the local hospital and not the county hospital an hour's drive away.
Phew !  Glad you made your appointment !

I have all my appointments and important info on my iCal on my computer. It's great and also good to refer back to over the years to see when we did this or that or saw whoever or had whatever appointment. But I've learned the hard way to always enter all my very important appointments on a paper calendar as well.

I and dh, who worked in computers, that's where we met, were thinking both when our GP's computer went down a couple of years ago and when the NHS computers were hacked this year, and appointments all disappeared, that both the GP and the NHS hospitals should have had a paper system in place as a back up. I don't know why they didn't. What happened, and what happens when our computers go down or the internet goes down or our computers aren't available, shows just how dependent we have become on computers. It's only in the past 20 or fewer years that this dependency has become so extreme, it's crept up on systems and individuals without people realising that a paper system is still needed in addition to computer system.
Anne

Atypical Type 2, thin, not insulin resistant, diagnosed March 2007. Very low carb (30 - 50g per day) Paleo diet and exercise - Prandin (Repaglinide) 0.5mg. Aortic Valve Replacement Jan 2014, Osteoporosis, Small airways disease, probable coeliac - Strontium Ranelate 2g/d, Omacor 2g/d, vitamin K2 300mcg/d, Aviticol (vit D3) 20,000 IU every week, Qvar 100 2/day.

Current HbA1c 33 Current total cholesterol 7, HDL 3.5, LDL 3.2, triglycerides 0.4

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2017, 10:57:35 AM »
We normally have a paper calendar behind the door in the Kitchen that we write everything on, but in the move it has disappeared, either packed somewhere or still behind the kitchen door at our old home.  Fortunately hubby transferred all the appointments to his diary.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Liam

• Global Moderator
  • We live to fight another day.
« Reply #6 on: 21 July 2017, 02:00:00 PM »
I understand but if his (or her) research is all about apps the question is likely there to stop you in your tracks. It is weeding you out as someone that doesn't use apps. I'm with you that apps aren't as useful for diabetes as they might be. Maybe one day when our meters are all talking to mobiles (would need to be free and work with lots of tech not locked to a manufacturer) that we might find them useful.

Not to be rude but a lot of our members are older and likely don't use mobiles as much. Like just in this thread people are using PCs, this is dying in younger people imo
DX Type I 1994.    Novorapid Animas Vibe pump
HbA1c 3/10 10.2%, 7/10 8.1%, 12/10 7.5%.
2/11 7.8%, 8/11 8.6% 9/11 8.3%.
3/12 62 (7.8%). 10/12 67 (8.3%)
4/13 63 (7.9%) 6/13 59 (7.5%)
1/14 71 (8.6%) 7/14 59 (7.5%) 11/14 (6.7%)
3/15 56 (7.3%) 12/15 49 (6.6%)
Ramipril: 10mg Quetiapine: 550mg Metformin: 2000mg