Author Topic: Here we go again  (Read 249 times)

Offline Quantum Learning

Type 2 dx Nov 2012 with fasting BG 14%/129.5
HbA1c Jan 2013 79/9.3%
April 2013 50/6.7%
July 2013 39/5.7%
Oct 2013 39/5.7% Chol 5.9
July 2014 45/6.3% Chol 5.5
Aug 2015 61/7.7% Chol 5.9
May 2016 84/9.7% Chol 6.9
Oct 2016 53/7%  Chol 6.3
Dec 2016 41/5.9% Chol 6.0
Metformin SR 2000mg, Candesarten Cilexetil 4mg Omeprazole 20mg, Fexofenadine 180mg Co-Codamol 30/500g when needed. Amitriptyline 20mg
Allergic to Levemir.
Toujeo 80 units at night.
NovoRapid when needed.

Offline Liam

• Global Moderator
  • We live to fight another day.
Re: Here we go again
« Reply #1 on: 01 August 2017, 12:44:07 PM »
Well I can't say I'm shocked. Statins are something I still think about trying even after all the bad results our small group have had. I've been offered them many times and I'm only 32 this year. I normally don't even have to fight when I point out my cholesterol ratio and age but I think I'd be on them without this forum.

In a thread of mine lately I talked about how my eye doctor was asking me about not being on them. They really do believe they have very few side effects and are some magic drug for the heart.

Lately I've became friendly with a type II (his was caused by a blood disorder) who has muscle pain / stiffness and memory problems (his doctor has told him this is via stress with his mother and uncle dying) I suggested it might be the stains but he said he'd ask his GP. I told him the GP would most likely say I was talking nonsense. I explained they don't have time to research things and only follow the rules NICE set out. 
DX Type I 1994.    Novorapid Animas Vibe pump
HbA1c 3/10 10.2%, 7/10 8.1%, 12/10 7.5%.
2/11 7.8%, 8/11 8.6% 9/11 8.3%.
3/12 62 (7.8%). 10/12 67 (8.3%)
4/13 63 (7.9%) 6/13 59 (7.5%)
1/14 71 (8.6%) 7/14 59 (7.5%) 11/14 (6.7%)
3/15 56 (7.3%) 12/15 49 (6.6%)
Ramipril: 10mg Quetiapine: 550mg Metformin: 2000mg

Offline Avocado

• My French website
« Reply #2 on: 02 August 2017, 07:43:02 AM »
This shows how reporting is done and scewed someitmes. In the Telegraph yesterday this was reported with the headline: Statins 'needlessly doled out to millions' simply because of their age  It was reported that elderly people should not be put on statins because that study showed all were eleigible due to their age even if they had no heart disease risks and that it is a waste to put them on statins which should be given to younger people who have more risks. The Telegraph is subscription only, copying a bit here in case you can access the whole report: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/31/statins-needlessly-doled-millions-simply-age/

"Statins are being needlessly prescribed to millions of people simply because of their age, the Royal College of GPs has warned. The RCGP called for an end to the “blanket” prescription of statins for older people, many of whom are at a low risk of heart disease. Current NHS guidelines risk unnecessarily “medicalising” swathes of the population at a time when resources are stretched, the RCGP said. The warning follows a study by Harvard University that found the risk criteria set by Nice (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence) make nearly all men over 60 and all women over 75 eligible for the cholesterol-lowering drugs, simply by virtue of their age.  The RCGP, along with a range of academics, is calling for improved guidelines to slash the number of prescriptions for healthy adults."

Actually, some of that is reported in that Guardian report further down the page near the end:

Commenting on the paper, Professor Helen Stokes-Lampard, chair of the Royal College of GPs, said: “Statins have been found to be highly effective drugs at preventing cardiovascular disease by reducing cholesterol levels of patients, and extensive research has shown that taking them is safe.

“But our patients should only take medication if they need to, and specifically they are at high risk of developing conditions that statins can help prevent.

“We need to get the risk scores right. If we find that all men over 60 and all women over 75 are going to be eligible for statins with new risk scoring, regardless of any other risk factor, then it should ring alarm bells – because it is not clear that every 60-year-old man or 75-year-old woman is going to benefit from statin therapy.

“As with any drug, taking statin medication has potential side-effects, and taking any medication long term is a substantial undertaking for patients.

“Many don’t want to take statins once they have learned all the facts – and GPs will respect patient choice.”

She added: “We also need to remember that whilst clinical guidelines are useful tools for GPs when developing a treatment plan for patients, they are not tramlines.

“GPs are highly trained to prescribe based on the individual circumstances of the patient in front of them – obviously taking age into account, but also any other medication that the patient is using, and all the physical, psychological or social factors that may be impacting their health.”
Anne

Atypical Type 2, thin, not insulin resistant, diagnosed March 2007. Very low carb (30 - 50g per day) Paleo diet and exercise - Prandin (Repaglinide) 0.5mg. Aortic Valve Replacement Jan 2014, Osteoporosis, Small airways disease, probable coeliac - Strontium Ranelate 2g/d, Omacor 2g/d, vitamin K2 300mcg/d, Aviticol (vit D3) 20,000 IU every week, Qvar 100 2/day.

Current HbA1c 33 Current total cholesterol 7, HDL 3.5, LDL 3.2, triglycerides 0.4

Offline Alan

• Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey
« Reply #3 on: 02 August 2017, 11:27:46 PM »
It was reported here too, with several 'wise' doctors appearing on the TV news nodding their heads and saying we should follow your lead :(
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Small New York Baked Low Carb Cheesecake)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest:Dambulla, Sigiriya and Polonuwarra, Sri Lanka)

Offline Dr DeEath

« Reply #4 on: 03 August 2017, 01:29:23 PM »
I was prescribed stains was I was diagnosed with PAD because the vascular surgeon refused to see me if I was not on them. Atorvastatin caused serious muscle aches, particularly in the shoulders, so I was switched to Atorvastatin which did not  have those problems. However after seven years with a cholesterol barely over 3 I now have narrowed coronary arteries! Have they been of any benefit to me?*!
T1 for over 50 years.  MDI on Porcine insulin.  Lisinopril and Atorvastatin.