Author Topic: Diabetes research  (Read 326 times)

Offline VitaliS

Diabetes research
« on: 02 August 2017, 09:24:42 PM »
Hello everyone,
I am a young researcher (and a type 1 diabetic) and I am conducting a study to see how psychological effects may affect the successful coping with diabetes. Please see the official research invitation below (and please follow the link to survey!  :) ).

My name is Vitali Sukoljukov and I am a postgraduate student studying the MSc Occupational Psychology course at the University of Nottingham.

I am conducting a study to examine how personality and illness perception affects coping in people with diabetes (type 1 and 2).

If you are affected by diabetes it would be much appreciated if you could kindly participate (which will not take longer than 10 minutes) by clicking the link.

https://nottingham.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/illness-perception-personality-and-coping-with-diabetes

In case of any concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me via email.

Participation is entirely voluntary but your contribution to this research is much valued. Please be assured that all responses will be anonymised.

Best wishes,
Vitali.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
    • Patti and Julian
Re: Diabetes research
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2017, 08:43:11 AM »
Approved by Admin - link added by Admin.

In a personal level I have completed the questionnaire and I do not see what my political or religious views have to do with my diabetes.  Another question mentions that my complications will continue.  Cannot answer that properly as I do not have any complications.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2017, 01:16:49 PM »
I completed it! Some very good questions in there, I'll be interested to see what you do with your results!

I agree that the "continue" part could make it difficult to respond for some people, but I figured it's not like I have NO added complexity to my life and health because of diabetes, even if I don't have capital-c Complications to speak of. So I answered it that way. But Vitali, you may need to give some special consideration to your results from that question, considering that people with no complications may not have known how to answer it correctly.

Questions about religion have to do with your personality. It's fairly well established in psychology research that certain personality types correlate with certain types of belief systems, including religious and political beliefs. Since the research is about squaring up personality traits with how one copes with diabetes, they do need a measure for that. It's actually quite a good method because it's indirect. If you ask people "are you such and such kind of a person" they're likely to respond with whatever makes them look best. If you instead ask them how they tend to feel or act in certain areas of personal belief they're more likely to be honest and you can then compare that with other research that's already been done on personality and those types of beliefs.

We have had questionnaires on here that go about this very clumsily, where they ask you things like whether you believe in God or other questions that are specific to certain religions, those are a bit too pointed and say more about the preconceptions of the researcher (i.e. that everyone has a similar religion to them) than anything else. The point is not about the religion in itself, or the politics in itself, but whether and how strongly you hold to certain systems of social organization.

Vitali here has definitely done his homework on study design as far as I can tell and it pleases me to see it! I hope you get many responses and please do keep in touch! :)
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Liam

• Global Moderator
  • We live to fight another day.
« Reply #3 on: 03 August 2017, 05:01:00 PM »
Filled it in. It wasn't too bad for daft questions at least. I had to think about a couple and what they were asking.
DX Type I 1994.    Novorapid Animas Vibe pump
HbA1c 3/10 10.2%, 7/10 8.1%, 12/10 7.5%.
2/11 7.8%, 8/11 8.6% 9/11 8.3%.
3/12 62 (7.8%). 10/12 67 (8.3%)
4/13 63 (7.9%) 6/13 59 (7.5%)
1/14 71 (8.6%) 7/14 59 (7.5%) 11/14 (6.7%)
3/15 56 (7.3%) 12/15 49 (6.6%)
Ramipril: 10mg Quetiapine: 550mg Metformin: 2000mg

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
    • Patti and Julian
« Reply #4 on: 03 August 2017, 06:34:56 PM »
Thank you for your analysis Nyt!  I was thinking "well they have asked me if I vote conservative and I have said no.... and then we got onto Liberal and I generally don't go for Lib Dems except at the last election because I think the individual locally is a good man.. ", but I now see that it was meant in a broader context than referring to particular political parties.  Maybe a bit of explanation needed there?

I'm also an atheist, but that doesn't mean I do not hold a strong moral code.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Venomous

« Reply #5 on: 03 August 2017, 09:47:28 PM »
My husband said that my diabetes does not cause him "difficulties" but that it "requires consideration". I don't know if the questionnaire would pick up those sensitivities.
T2 and PCOS. Waiting for surgery on large ovarian masses.

Novorapid, levemir, trulicity, gliclazide, metformin.
Aspirin, Diltiazem.

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 04 August 2017, 12:26:06 AM »
I answered that one based on how I felt. I definitely feel guilty that my OH sometimes gets woken up in the night when I have to do overnight testing (in fact it's a big reason why I don't do it as much as I should, the other one being I don't get good quality sleep much of the time anyway, so I'm not likely to willingly choose to wake myself in the night!) or that if we're out somewhere together, he has to stop doing whatever he's doing too if I need to stop and treat a hypo, or that he has to deal with the fallout of me being stressed or upset at doctor's appointments, or mood swings in relation to BG swings, things like that. I bet if I asked him he would say he doesn't mind and just wants me to be healthy!
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
  ~-~-~-~

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
    • Patti and Julian
« Reply #7 on: 04 August 2017, 08:40:27 AM »
I know my husband puts up with all the same things Nyt.  Though I have known him sleep through me testing and treating a hypo in the night. 
I bet if I asked him he would say he doesn't mind and just wants me to be healthy]
Hubby has said exactly that!
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline VitaliS

« Reply #8 on: 04 August 2017, 01:25:52 PM »
Thank you all very much for replying and participating in my study  :)

I can't really comment on some of the questions, because a deeper understanding of the questionnaire may affect the answers of those, who haven't participated yet but are reading the messages here.

But I can promise to answer the questions in more details and post a link to an article which did a similar research and found some interesting results on how diabetes perception affects coping with it (and how it is related to personality), when I finish collecting data. Also, nytquill17 posted a very good explanation  ;)

In general, I had to use academically approved questionnaires, which were developed in USA (and approved and re-tested in UK), therefore some question may sound somewhat odd (like the political ones). But they are still valid and relevant :)

Venomous, I'd say "consideration" should count as a low "difficulty" score in my questionnaire. But you all are correct, some of the questions could've had a better wording. Again - not my choice of words, good academic practice requires us to use approved tests and surveys without making significant changes :)

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: 04 August 2017, 04:03:22 PM »
I tried not to say anything that might bias people's responses - hope I succeeded! :)
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
  ~-~-~-~

Offline Venomous

« Reply #10 on: 05 August 2017, 09:30:22 PM »
I really don't feel "guilty" if my hubby is affected by my diabetes at all, that's like feeling guilty because my eyes are blue.

He is very sweet in helping me though, If I feel hypo in the night, I'll poke hubby and he'll get straight up and test me, he'll also go make hot sugary earl grey (my favourite hypo treat) or get me anything else I want. I do remember one time that I felt hypo whilst out shopping with my youngest, I texted him, then just pushed on home because I make silly decisions when I'm hypo, by the time I got there, the house was empty because he was scouring the area for us! I remember after an unpleasant hypo in hospital that involved several members of staff having to treat me, (after Lily was born) him coming in and going through my levels and adjusting what I should take and the doctors taking his guidance rather than vice versa and feeling much safer like that!  I probably should have marked that it did cause him difficulties..but he doesn't consider that it does. I'd guess all our partners would not mind and just want us to be healthy.
T2 and PCOS. Waiting for surgery on large ovarian masses.

Novorapid, levemir, trulicity, gliclazide, metformin.
Aspirin, Diltiazem.