Author Topic: I'm new  (Read 542 times)

Offline fairyhedgehog

I'm new
« on: 07 August 2017, 07:16:46 PM »
Hi!

I'm here because I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic in June; my Hba1c was 42.

I was told to eat a low GI diet and that's my main focus now, although I'm also trying to up my activity levels. I had CFS a few years ago and had to get into the habit of resting a lot which is not good for my BG. I do cycle most days, but not far and not fast, so I'm trying to add in some extras like climbing and swimming, and I hope to start Pilates soon. It sounds a lot more than I'm actually managing!

My BMI is in the normal range.

Fasting level of BG is from 4.2 to 5.1, mostly around the 4.7 level. After meals it occasionally goes up to 7 or 8, but I've been very careful so I haven't had horrible spikes. I'm hoping to find a sustainable way of eating that will keep it at normal levels.

I'm here mostly for recipe advice and support! I really don't like cooking, which is a bit of a drawback! I really like desserts and dark chocolate, so ways to feed my sweet tooth would be welcome. I've found some low GI "scones" (more like rock cakes) made of almonds and walnuts, oh and cocoa!, so that's a start.

I'm not sure how much I'll be around, but I couldn't find a way to put any of this in my profile or add a signature and I thought you might wonder who the newbie was.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
    • Patti and Julian
Re: I'm new
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2017, 10:11:10 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum.  Sorry you had to join the club.

42 is really a diabetic Hba1c.  Since you quote various BG levels I assume you have a test kit?  We do say "Eat to your meter" as everyone has different tolerances.  We can help with food suggestions etc.  Sorry so tired tonight and I will give better suggestions tomorrow!  Just wanted to welcome you.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Venomous

« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2017, 06:42:21 AM »
Hello, your fasting levels are really great! What do you like for meals?
T2 and PCOS. Waiting for surgery on large ovarian masses.

Novorapid, levemir, trulicity, gliclazide, metformin.
Aspirin, Diltiazem.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
    • Patti and Julian
« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2017, 07:53:28 AM »
PS... have a look in the recipe section.  Lots of sweet things there that do not have the the texture of Rock Cakes.... sugar free jelly is always handy.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2017, 12:30:00 PM »
Agree your fasting levels look great! And your post-meals look pretty good too TBH. Generally speaking a rise after meals of 2 or so mmol/L is about perfect (well, in an ideal world it would be no rise of course but that's not really humanly possible for most people).

Is this what your numbers were like when you were diagnosed or have they come down to these levels thanks to your efforts at low GI and exercise? I ask because if they have always been around these levels that suggests that you are having higher BGs somewhere else during the day (during the times you're not testing) to get the A1c that you had, and your next step would be to try to track that down. If they've come down since you were diagnosed then you can expect your next A1c to be lower!

As to food - like Venomous says, what do you like to eat? Or what do you typically eat on a given day? And do have a look at our recipe section, it can be a bit overwhelming to start with because people have been adding recipes for so long now, but there should be some good ideas for you!

I feel you on the sweet tooth, I'm the same. I tend to prefer having a small (in theory! haha) amount of a "regular" dessert to having a low-carb dessert (avoid sweet things in stores that say "sugar free" though, if you haven't already been told! Sugar free chocolates and the like. They're not very good and too much will give you the runs!) but there are lots of low-carb desserts in the recipe section that have gotten rave reviews from other members.
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Alan

• Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey
« Reply #5 on: 19 August 2017, 08:48:36 AM »
Hi!

I'm here because I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic in June; my Hba1c was 42.

I was told to eat a low GI diet and that's my main focus now

G'day.

Treat that diet as just your starting point, then please click on this: Getting Started
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Small New York Baked Low Carb Cheesecake)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest:Dambulla, Sigiriya and Polonuwarra, Sri Lanka)

Offline fairyhedgehog

« Reply #6 on: 20 August 2017, 10:49:44 AM »
I am so sorry to have done a post-and-run! I really thought I'd replied to all you kind people.

Thank you for all the kind and helpful advice; I think I'm doing OK at the moment although being on holiday is a real challenge.

It's actually reassuring to be told that it's OK to take this seriously; it's such a hassle when I'm out to find things to eat that are a good idea and I was beginning to think I was over the top. I've taken to carrying nuts with me, so if the only food available is bread-based I can eat nuts instead.

My BG levels must have been much higher before because I was eating pizza, pasta, and chips far too often!

I'm trying to increase my exercise levels but it's a struggle that doesn't seem to get any easier.

Anyway, thank you all for the support and help.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
    • Patti and Julian
« Reply #7 on: 21 August 2017, 08:42:25 AM »
Hi there, nice to hear from you again.  It is not only OK for you to take this seriously, it is essential for your own well being.  So many do not take it seriously I am afraid.  I met someone on Saturday who has not been encouraged to take very much interest..... no meter and not really much in the way of information given.

Finding time for exercise is what I find difficult.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Alan

« Reply #8 on: 28 August 2017, 12:36:18 AM »
I am so sorry to have done a post-and-run! I really thought I'd replied to all you kind people.

Thank you for all the kind and helpful advice; I think I'm doing OK at the moment although being on holiday is a real challenge.

It's actually reassuring to be told that it's OK to take this seriously; it's such a hassle when I'm out to find things to eat that are a good idea and I was beginning to think I was over the top. I've taken to carrying nuts with me, so if the only food available is bread-based I can eat nuts instead.

My BG levels must have been much higher before because I was eating pizza, pasta, and chips far too often!

I'm trying to increase my exercise levels but it's a struggle that doesn't seem to get any easier.

Anyway, thank you all for the support and help.

Glad you are taking it seriously and improving. What numbers are you seeing now at your peaks after meals?
--
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Small New York Baked Low Carb Cheesecake)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest:Dambulla, Sigiriya and Polonuwarra, Sri Lanka)

Offline fairyhedgehog

« Reply #9 on: 29 August 2017, 10:48:19 AM »
My highest peak after meals is around 6.8.

I think I'm seeing good numbers because I'm eating well with few carbs, and the carbs I do have are in things like porridge (with almond and linseed) and very seedy bread. I do eat dark chocolate but in small amounts!

Before the diagnosis I was eating a lot of chips and a lot of sugar - I didn't realise how much until I stopped!

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
    • Patti and Julian
« Reply #10 on: 30 August 2017, 10:22:08 PM »
Sorry so long for a response FH, I am in the middle of moving house and it's very much full on!

What are you calling your "Peak"? and how have you ascertained that it is how high you go after meals?  Just asking cos sometimes people mistake their peak because they only test at prescribed intervals after meals.  When are you testing after meals?  Just interested in the spirit of ring helpful.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Alan

« Reply #11 on: 30 August 2017, 11:09:32 PM »
My highest peak after meals is around 6.8.

I think I'm seeing good numbers because I'm eating well with few carbs, and the carbs I do have are in things like porridge (with almond and linseed) and very seedy bread. I do eat dark chocolate but in small amounts!

Before the diagnosis I was eating a lot of chips and a lot of sugar - I didn't realise how much until I stopped!

6.8 is fine. I have the same question as Patti - when is your peak? Read this to see why I ask: When To Test?
--

Offline Liam

• Global Moderator
  • We live to fight another day.
« Reply #12 on: 31 August 2017, 12:33:36 PM »
Good to hear back from you FairyHedagehog. Your numbers sound good but I'd go with Patti and Alan and ask if you have found your peak. Knowing this gives you more information and power in food choices.
DX Type I 1994.    Novorapid Animas Vibe pump
HbA1c 3/10 10.2%, 7/10 8.1%, 12/10 7.5%.
2/11 7.8%, 8/11 8.6% 9/11 8.3%.
3/12 62 (7.8%). 10/12 67 (8.3%)
4/13 63 (7.9%) 6/13 59 (7.5%)
1/14 71 (8.6%) 7/14 59 (7.5%) 11/14 (6.7%)
3/15 56 (7.3%) 12/15 49 (6.6%)
Ramipril: 10mg Quetiapine: 550mg Metformin: 2000mg

Offline fairyhedgehog

« Reply #13 on: 01 September 2017, 07:53:13 PM »
I've been testing after one hour and after two hours. One hour is usually higher. After breakfast, sometimes my BG is lower than before!

I think I'm getting good numbers because I've radically changed my diet to be genuinely low GI as far as I can work that out. Chips, cake, pizza, pasta, and biscuits - gone! Replaced with nuts, and more fruit and veg, and various other options that are low GI.

I'm not testing all the time now. I'm only testing when it's something that I haven't had before, and first thing to see how things are going generally.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
    • Patti and Julian
« Reply #14 on: 02 September 2017, 08:52:57 PM »
If you are achieving such low numbers at 1 hour then you are seriously on the right track.   Well done indeed!  Shows what a huge difference the right diet makes.. pity the NHS do not seem to realise this.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans