Author Topic: Anti-inflammatory drug 'cuts heart attack risk'  (Read 456 times)

Offline Dr DeEath

Anti-inflammatory drug 'cuts heart attack risk'
« on: 31 August 2017, 01:45:23 PM »
This was on the news and in the newspapers a few days ago. Apparently the new drug cuts inflammation in the blood vessels (more common in diabetes) that can lead to furring and blockages. When I was first looked at for PAD seven years ago the consultant would only see me if I started on statins. I suspect they did little more than reduce my cholesterol from 4.2 to about 3.3 - it definitely did not stop my coronary arteries furring. I wonder if this new drug would have delayed the problem although it was in my genes! The link is:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-41071954

I was going to post this a few days ago but had my echocardiogram on Tuesday and a bod hypo overnight that left me with a muggy head and next to no inclination to do anythoing. Still cannot understand why!
T1 for over 50 years.  MDI on Porcine insulin.  Lisinopril and Atorvastatin.

Offline Avocado

• My French website
Re: Anti-inflammatory drug 'cuts heart attack risk'
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2017, 01:59:40 PM »
I read about that and then read that the drug, canakinumab, did not reduce mortailty. "On Aug 27, 2017, the results of the CANTOS (canakinumab) trial were announced at the European Society of Cardiology and published Lancet and the New England Journal of Medicine.[12] CANTOS saw a 15% reduction in deaths from heart attacks, stroke and cardiovascular disease combined. CANTOS also observed serious side-effects, and no statistically significant overall survival benefit."

Here's some more about it from the Guardian:https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/aug/27/anti-inflammatory-drugs-may-lower-heart-attack-risk-study-finds
Anne

Atypical Type 2, thin, not insulin resistant, diagnosed March 2007. Very low carb (30 - 50g per day) Paleo diet and exercise - Prandin (Repaglinide) 0.5mg. Aortic Valve Replacement Jan 2014, Osteoporosis, Small airways disease, probable coeliac - Strontium Ranelate 2g/d, Omacor 2g/d, vitamin K2 300mcg/d, Aviticol (vit D3) 20,000 IU every week, Qvar 100 2/day.

Current HbA1c 33 Current total cholesterol 7, HDL 3.5, LDL 3.2, triglycerides 0.4

Offline Dr DeEath

« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2017, 02:20:30 PM »
Statins form part of the diabetic dolly mix! I suspect that drug may have advantages when specifically targeted but not dished out like statins. A 60-y-o friend had a well-man check at the GP's and was advised to start on statins as a default because of his age despite normal weight, normal cholesterol and walking his large dog 2 - 3 miles twice a day!

Offline Avocado

• My French website
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2017, 02:27:36 PM »
There is a very good chapter in the new book 'Diabetes Unpacked' entitled 'Why do people with diabetes die from heart disease?".  That book is not just for Type 2 diabetics, it also has contributions from Type 1 diabetics, including a GP who has Type 1.
Anne

Atypical Type 2, thin, not insulin resistant, diagnosed March 2007. Very low carb (30 - 50g per day) Paleo diet and exercise - Prandin (Repaglinide) 0.5mg. Aortic Valve Replacement Jan 2014, Osteoporosis, Small airways disease, probable coeliac - Strontium Ranelate 2g/d, Omacor 2g/d, vitamin K2 300mcg/d, Aviticol (vit D3) 20,000 IU every week, Qvar 100 2/day.

Current HbA1c 33 Current total cholesterol 7, HDL 3.5, LDL 3.2, triglycerides 0.4

Offline Dr DeEath

« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2017, 03:05:17 PM »
There is a very good chapter in the new book 'Diabetes Unpacked' entitled 'Why do people with diabetes die from heart disease?".  That book is not just for Type 2 diabetics, it also has contributions from Type 1 diabetics, including a GP who has Type 1.

On my shopping list!   8)

Offline Avocado

• My French website
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2017, 05:02:45 PM »
I really liked the book and I'm not Type 2, certainly not by the definition of being insulin resistant which I'm not, and I've aways been thin, and I'm not Type 1 except I'm slighlty insulin deficient. I still get high fasting blood glucose levels despite having very well controlled blood glucose.
Anne

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #6 on: 31 August 2017, 11:15:04 PM »
For a long time I have suspected inflammation as being the culprit for heart disease, rather than chol per se....but that's not to say I think this new drug is a wonder drug.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Alan

• Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey
« Reply #7 on: 05 September 2017, 11:15:31 PM »
For a long time I have suspected inflammation as being the culprit for heart disease, rather than chol per se....but that's not to say I think this new drug is a wonder drug.

I'll continue my caution with new meds. I reckon the true human trials begin when GPs are first authorised to prescribe it. Unless the medication has been out there for about a decade I consider it still under trial.

I'll take a med if there is compelling evidence of reward over risk in a situation where I have a current medical need but never as a prophylactic treatment for a condition I may have in the future - but not yet.
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Small New York Baked Low Carb Cheesecake)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest:Dambulla, Sigiriya and Polonuwarra, Sri Lanka)

Offline Alan

« Reply #8 on: 05 September 2017, 11:24:14 PM »

Although I'm not really a fan of Fung some of the other authors look interesting. A pity the delivery to Oz makes it expensive. Do you reckon it would be worth AU$40 for me?

I've already read a lot by Zoe Harcombe and Malcolm Kendrick. I'll google the others to see what they have written online.
--
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Small New York Baked Low Carb Cheesecake)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest:Dambulla, Sigiriya and Polonuwarra, Sri Lanka)

Offline Avocado

• My French website
« Reply #9 on: 06 September 2017, 07:07:05 AM »
A pity the delivery to Oz makes it expensive. Do you reckon it would be worth AU$40 for me?
Seems very expensive, especially in view of your knowledge Alan - you probably wouldn't learn anything much new. Amazon have it on Kindle - is that better value in Australia ?
Anne

Offline Alan

« Reply #10 on: 07 September 2017, 01:00:33 AM »
A pity the delivery to Oz makes it expensive. Do you reckon it would be worth AU$40 for me?
Seems very expensive, especially in view of your knowledge Alan - you probably wouldn't learn anything much new. Amazon have it on Kindle - is that better value in Australia ?

I'll check Amazon to see. They only have e-books in Australia but are about to add all their other goods soon, much to the consternation of Australia's major stores.
--

Offline Avocado

• My French website
« Reply #11 on: 07 September 2017, 07:07:21 AM »
I'll check Amazon to see. They only have e-books in Australia but are about to add all their other goods soon, much to the consternation of Australia's major stores.
Kindle is an e-book - I just had a look on Australian Amazon and Diabetes Unpacked is available !
Anne

Offline Paulines7

« Reply #12 on: 07 September 2017, 09:50:05 AM »

Thanks for mentioning this book Avocado.  I have sent off for a paperback copy from Amazon. 
Diabetes Type2 diagnosed March 2014.  Treated by diet only.  HbA1c 60 on diagnosis, 52 in June 2014, 50 October 2014, 44 December 2014, 48 May 2015, 50 Sep 2015, 53 Jan 2016, 50 Oct 2016, 56 Feb 2017, 50 Jun 2017. 50 Aug 2017.  Pacemaker fitted 2008.

When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want 'em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"