Author Topic: Blood tests, bit of a rant.  (Read 678 times)

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Re: Blood tests, bit of a rant.
« Reply #30 on: 09 November 2017, 10:57:38 AM »
Basically being celiac or gluten intolerant means gluten damages the villi in your small intestine.  Dr Google explains it better than me.  Even if you are 'only' gluten sensitive any gluten you eat will still be damaging these villi even if you aren't showing any symptoms.  This is a fact of life for you and you have to deal with it by not eating any gluten at all, ever, for the rest of your life. Sorry you can't be just a little bit gluten sensitive, its like being a little bit pregnant.
Its up to you, eat a little gluten if you choose but you are still damaging your gut and after all your guts are yours to damage as you choose.
Why eat poison that is shortening your life?

I take your point BBarb. All I am thinking is that I need to rule out other causes before necessarily thinking it’s even gluten sensitivity.  If there is no other obvious contender, then yes, I will go down the gluten free route wholeheartedly.  It will be a huge learning curve for me as I am sure you know.

Terry.. I thought. buckwheat was wheat and had gluten?

Anne, I do have diverticulitis, it was diagnosed after a barium enema and a colonoscopy some 18/19 years ago.  This may indeed be just a flare up.  I haven’t had one since I went lower carb after diagnosis of D. I know the diverticulii can get infected.   The last blood test showed evidence of infection.  I have to have another next Tuesday.  We eat no processed foods... my god, I spent absolutely hours cooking yesterday, both in the morning and again in the evening when I was exhausted by other things.

In retrospect the symptoms all started when I was so wound up I could have committed murder the stress was so great.  Who knows - stress can cause many physical symptoms.  It seems to have completely calmed this week with no tummy pain and tummy returning to normal almost overnight... I am going to see what the results of the blood test are, and if symptoms return then I will certainly try the gluten free route.  I know I am doing a mental reverse from earlier posts, it’s surprising what lack of pain achieves... but I don’t want to necessarily impose a life long restrictive regime on myself unnecessarily.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline BBarb

• XDBB
« Reply #31 on: 09 November 2017, 11:22:41 AM »
No indeed you don't.
I didn't know about your problems with  diverticulitis - if this is the culprit would it be considered a better result or a worse one?  It could very likely be the case with you especially as you haven't mentioned one of the awful symptoms of CD which is the never ending, overwhelming feeling of being generally 'unwell' which never leaves you.  You begin to feel like a whinging, grizzly baby - if you get my drift - and this on top of the toilet problems and tummy ache makes lift a real slog.  When all this clears up you suddenly realise how dreadful you've been feeling, so a gluten free diet is easily embraced.
Good luck, I hope the improvement continues - perhaps discussing it all has made you more relaxed.
Buckwheat is a seed that comes from Asia, I don't know what plant its from but its not wheat and has no gluten.  Its an American name and these can be misleading, for instance their 'corn' is not the golden fields of wheat we see, but maize or sweetcorn ie cornflour as in custard powder.  It is a carb I think, well I look on it as a carb when I'm using it for cooking.

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: 09 November 2017, 12:22:10 PM »
Lol Barb - defo a carb just the same as sweetcorn as a veg is a tad high carb.  Not for nothing, the adjective 'sweet' in front of the corn!

In the US of A - they are 'honest' for a change and call it corn STARCH !
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline TerryJ

« Reply #33 on: 09 November 2017, 01:39:52 PM »
Terry.. I thought. buckwheat was wheat and had gluten?

Don't be fooled by the name -
(from Wikipedia)
"Despite the name, buckwheat is not related to wheat, as it is not a grass. Instead, buckwheat is related to sorrel, knotweed, and rhubarb. Because its seeds are eaten and rich in complex carbohydrates, it is referred to as a pseudocereal."
Type 2 since 1999. Current meds Gliclazide
HbA1c Feb10 10.9, May10 7.7, Oct10 6.6, Oct11 6.7, Dec12 6.4, Nov13 6.9

Offline Avocado

• My French website
« Reply #34 on: 09 November 2017, 03:00:15 PM »
but I don’t want to necessarily impose a life long restrictive regime on myself unnecessarily.
Just to reasure you Patti, being gluten/grain free is not restrictive at all. I've never eaten better becasue I'm not using those filler foods, becasue that's what bread, grains, etc are, I eat all the best stuff instead of those fillers. It's more expensive but not restrictive I assure you. And I don't spend hours cooking becasue I don't end up faffing around with the food - it's always meat or fish or eggs with veggies of which there are dozens to choose from. If I want to do something more special I just spend more money on the meat or fish - really good quality food doesn't need work on it - I believe there was a French 3 star Michelin chef who once said that it is simply the quality of the ingredients that's important - a really good omelette for example is so delicious, nutritious and satisfying, and quick to cook as well. And a top quality chicken - just bung it in the oven. I'll sometimes add bacon to a simple stew. If I want to spend time cooking I'll chose something from Real Meal Revolution or one of Mark Sissons's books or his website. DH enjoys all the food I cook.
Anne

Atypical Type 2, thin, not insulin resistant, diagnosed March 2007. Very low carb (30 - 50g per day) Paleo diet and exercise - Prandin (Repaglinide) 0.5mg. Aortic Valve Replacement Jan 2014, Osteoporosis, Small airways disease, probable coeliac - Strontium Ranelate 2g/d, Omacor 2g/d, vitamin K2 300mcg/d, Aviticol (vit D3) 20,000 IU every week, Qvar 100 2/day.

Current HbA1c 33 Current total cholesterol 7, HDL 3.5, LDL 3.2, triglycerides 0.4

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #35 on: 10 November 2017, 09:23:47 AM »
BBarb it does prove to be just the diverticulitis playing up then (on past experience) it will clear up and hopefully.give no problems for some time - possibly several years.  If it’s not, then I can try out the gluten free route.  So I suppose I am hoping that that’s what it is.

Terry, thanks for the clarification.  I picked up a bag of buckwheat and millet that said “contains wheat”hence my confusion.

Anne, I do like cooking.  It’s a hobby for me.  We spend a fortune on food too... but I am just as happy pottering with Pork shoulder as I am quickly cooking a good steak.  The hours I spent the other day were on making a complicated dish of pork shoulder with sherry and Parmesan dumplings (2 tiny ones for me), turning a roast chicken carcass into a chicken and asparagus soup, plus making celeriac mash and preparing
Veg.  I take your point though about good ingredients well cooked and it is a philosophy I adhere to.  However, just thinking about the changes to be made... even one of our low carb recipes for cakes would need adjustment as baking powder has to be gluten free.  For someone unused to it every little tiny thing needs thinking about 😀

Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline BBarb

• XDBB
« Reply #36 on: 10 November 2017, 11:56:26 AM »
Sometimes manufacturers use lines that have previously been used to process wheat products and so the grain that started life being gluten free becomes 'contaminated'.  They have the responsibility, by law I think, to inform their customers if there is any possibility of this.
Obviously your diverticulitis is something you have to live with but fingers crossed your tummy soon settles down from this recent outbreak.