Author Topic: Researchers and developers of apps. Please read this!  (Read 114 times)

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
Re: Researchers and developers of apps. Please read this!
« Reply #1 on: 06 November 2017, 09:12:23 PM »
That's BRILL isn't it?

Absolutely true.
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #2 on: 07 November 2017, 12:10:25 AM »
Totally agree.. I cannot be bothered with em...nor I am sorry to say, the "be the best I can"  which is a shame.  On the whole I just do what I can without devoting my whole life to it!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 April 2016.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #3 on: 07 November 2017, 01:26:37 AM »
Very nice! As I told OH, I see it as part of a bigger picture, of people "on the outside" of diabetes for whatever reason* - be it app developers or HCPs or support group organizers or gadget engineers - who look at all of these diabetics not meeting the textbook targets, following the prescribed diet, or otherwise "not engaging" and think to themselves "How can we REACH these poor people? If we could just get them to understand and engage with their health we could reduce their suffering!"

When what they are failing to see, of course, is as the article says, that we ARE engaged with it whether we want to be or not, and that oftentimes what they see as "failure to engage" is in fact a strategic retreat (consciously or unconsciously) in order to be able to cope with the demands placed on us just to stay alive and functional, on top of all the usual stresses of life. Even in diabetics who we might describe as "not interested" or "not clued in" or "in denial", it's usually still a symptom of the same problem: it's all just too much and that person is trying to disengage from it to keep it at a level that they believe they can cope with. What we need - what we want, what will actually make our lives tangibly better - is precisely things that will allow us to DISengage from diabetes.

*I don't mean to say that if you've never had diabetes you can never possibly understand, but there are non-diabetics who TRY to see things from an "insider" POV and those who don't want to/don't see why they need to/can't imagine it/can't be bothered!
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Venomous

« Reply #4 on: 07 November 2017, 01:05:57 PM »
I see this a great deal when I go into hospital. I start to explain my experience and why I'm there and there are those doctors who instantly show kindness and gentleness and put you at ease and then there are those who really can't understand either because they don't have the time, or the empathy, or the ability, or for whatever other reason. Reminds me of a line from Harry Potter, "her soul is as dry as the books to which she so desperately cleaves".
T2 and PCOS. Just had large serous adenofibroma removed with ovary and fallopian tube. Bp is now normal!

Novorapid, levemir, trulicity, metformin.