Author Topic: is 6 mmols rise after meals ok  (Read 650 times)

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Re: is 6 mmols rise after meals ok
« Reply #15 on: 19 January 2018, 03:29:48 PM »
Hi Victoria

I have a couple of thoughts. 

1. you are never going to know whether that rise after breakfast is due to the breakfast or to dawn phenomenon unless you skip breakfast one day and see whether your BGs are rising on their own.

2.  Most people are more insulin resistant in the mornings, so it's rather curious that you seem to have a lower ratio for breakfast.

3.  It's most likely the oats.  I know HCPs recommend them as being good for diabetics but I have always had my reservations.  We've had loads of members reporting vast rises after eating oats.  Try having a different breakfast.

I said a "couple" of thoughts... but that's 3 ;)
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 Sept 2017.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Victoria

« Reply #16 on: 19 January 2018, 05:34:55 PM »
Between getting up and eating my bgs are already rising fast so I know basal has already run out .Have had the same breakfast for a couple of years and its always suited me and in fact untill recently bgs are wonderful till lunchtime so I dont think its the oats but more my body changing insulin needs .Am going to have a small dose of bolus tommorow am to see what difference it makes if any will let you know how it goes
novorapid
indapamide
Levemir

Dec hba1c 63 April 53

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #17 on: 19 January 2018, 05:45:29 PM »
There's another easy way to check that - for 2-3 days, have a breakfast that ISN'T oats, in fact that has very little carbs at all (so mostly protein [and fat]). There will probably still be a rise, but I bet it will be much less pronounced.

That would tell you something about whether your basal insulin is really inadequate or if it's some other factor, or a combination of the two.
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Alan

• Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey
« Reply #18 on: 19 January 2018, 08:12:35 PM »
Jenny bedtime 6.6
3am 6.3
6.45 am 7.
Patti
always oats 27gm carb 3.5 units insulin (morning always lower ratio)
Gave insulin 30 mins early today but rose from bg 7 to bg 13.5 in an hour
Now its 3 hours later and am back to 7.3 so maybe this rise is just par for the course for me

Have you considered less carbs with possibly consequently less insulin? Just wondering.
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Slow Cooked Beef Brisket)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Money, Cards, ATMs and Cash For Travels)

Offline Victoria

« Reply #19 on: 19 January 2018, 08:37:38 PM »
Alan
I just cant think of anything that I would like to eat, with less carbs ,eggs , bacon yoghurt etc are not for me at start of day ,but wish they were
novorapid
indapamide
Levemir

Dec hba1c 63 April 53

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #20 on: 20 January 2018, 12:14:50 AM »
Well Victoria it is up to you, but I find that things change from time to time and sometimes what suits my body changes and I have to dramatically change my doses and my basal profiles.  A couple of years ago a slice of Burgen soya and linseed bread suited me fine.  Now it is a complete nightmare BG wise.

So basically if you do not want to do a basal check and don't want to change your brekkie, then you are going to have the spike and not know why.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 Sept 2017.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Victoria

« Reply #21 on: 20 January 2018, 11:13:33 AM »
I think you are right Patti and I must stop sticking my head in the sand. Oats are important as they help with my v high cholesterol levels but must offset that by bg levels need reducing too
Just wish I fancied other things at breakfast .Maybe if I have 12 gms oats instead it may help and if it does then yes its the oats  :'(
novorapid
indapamide
Levemir

Dec hba1c 63 April 53

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #22 on: 20 January 2018, 04:41:21 PM »
If it does turn out to be the oats, it doesn't necessarily mean you can never eat them - just not at breakfast. Many people can get away with a little more carbs at lunch or dinner than they can at breakfast. That doesn't solve the "what to have at breakfast" problem (and I completely sympathize as I am not a breakfast person myself! So often there just isn't anything I want!) but it might be a way to balance between taking care of your BGs and taking care of your chol.
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Alan

« Reply #23 on: 23 January 2018, 01:20:07 AM »
I think you are right Patti and I must stop sticking my head in the sand. Oats are important as they help with my v high cholesterol levels but must offset that by bg levels need reducing too
Just wish I fancied other things at breakfast .Maybe if I have 12 gms oats instead it may help and if it does then yes its the oats  :'(

Some suggestions to give you ideas: Breakfasts
--

Offline Paulines7

« Reply #24 on: 18 February 2018, 10:34:36 PM »
Victoria, I missed seeing your post last month but thought I might be able to give you some helpful advice.  I regret I know nothing about insulin and the other medication that you take as I rely on diet alone to control my diabetes.  What I would advise though is that you go on a low carb diet and read a lot about its benefits.  I used to have porridge for breakfast but when I found it was putting my meter readings up too much, I stopped having it.  I now have avocado pear and cottage cheese for breakfast, but I know it is not to every-ones taste.  I try to avoid anything that puts my meter readings above 10.

Fortunately, I came across this support forum two days after I was diagnosed and everyone on here was so helpful. I have been following a low carb diet for 4 years now and my GP is really pleased with how well I have done in keeping down my HbA1c readings.  My other ailments such as kidney and heart failure have also improved since I have taken control of my blood sugar levels through my diet.  In fact last Friday I had a diabetic review with my GP and she said that my kidney levels were now almost back to normal.  I was discharged from the heart failure clinic about a year ago as I am no longer becoming breathless.  With these vital organs showing so much improvement, I must be doing something right.

You are probably aware that in recent years many medical experts are now saying that the advice given by the NHS to diabetics, especially in relation to the "Eatwell Plate", is completely wrong.  After reading a lot on forums and the web about low carb diets, I have read several books on the subject. 

A book I really recommend is:  "The Real Meal Revolution: The Radical, Sustainable Approach to Healthy Eating" by Professor Tim Noakes and Jonno Proudfoot.  It can be found here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Real-Meal-Revolution-Sustainable-Approach/dp/1472135695/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518992913&sr=8-1&keywords=noakes+meal+revolution

The Real Meal Revolution also has updated information about cholesterol, which you could well find interesting.

I have just purchased another book which arrived two days ago so I have only had time to read the first two chapters.  It is very informative too and extremely interesting.

"Low Carb, High Fat Food Revolution" by Andreas Eenfeldt
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1510713875/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Alan Shanley, who replied to you on 23rd of January has also written an excellent book called "What on Earth can I eat?".  if you follow the "Breakfasts" link that he gave you, it will lead you to his book. 

Victoria, Your bg levels have certainly been high and I do think you would find the books I have mentioned helpful.  I am sorry that I am unable to help you on insulin matters.
Diabetes Type2 diagnosed March 2014.  Treated by diet only.  HbA1c 60 on diagnosis, 52 in June 2014, 50 October 2014, 44 December 2014, 48 May 2015, 50 Sep 2015, 53 Jan 2016, 50 Oct 2016, 56 Feb 2017, 50 Jun 2017. 50 Aug 2017. 47 Feb 2018  Pacemaker fitted 2008 - replaced 2017.

When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want 'em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Offline himtoo

• Prince of Protein
« Reply #25 on: Yesterday at 08:27:08 PM »
Hi Victoria -- I am hoping I have this right -- you are on levemir as your long acting and take it at night, but are worried about DP ( dawn phenomenon ) and your breakfast

have you thought about splitting the levemir dose ( for example 50% at 9pm and 50% at 7am )
just a thought...............
T1 Dia Aug 1972 -pumping omnipod since 29/09/15  Losartan 100mg , simvastatin 40mg,Furosemide 40mg, Omeprazole 80mg , Doxazosin 8mg
Hba1c - 06/2013 6.1 02/2014 43(6.1) 07/14 42(6.0) 08/14 40( 5.8 ) 12/14 39 (5.7) 08/15 41 ( 5.9) 10/15 44 ( 6.2 ) 03/16 49 (6.6)
cholesterol --nov 2011 4.3 june 2012 4.4 June 2013 4.1 Feb 2014 4.1 dec 14 4.5 oct 15 4.4
Dafne grad. necrobiosis lipoidica on legs
laser treatment on both eyes 2002 and 2012, injections left eye 3 , wearing Noctura mask since oct 2014

Offline Victoria

« Reply #26 on: Today at 07:47:39 PM »
Hi folk
Sorry for delay in responding but getting over the flu
Am thanks to this forum carb counting and have been for a few years now
I now split my levemir which has helped but using the abbott sensors has really changed things and bgs are very very good although i still have apx 4-5 mmols rise after breakfast but am really happy with how thing are so many thanks to all ;D
novorapid
indapamide
Levemir

Dec hba1c 63 April 53

Offline Alan

« Reply #27 on: Today at 09:06:10 PM »
Hi folk
Sorry for delay in responding but getting over the flu
Am thanks to this forum carb counting and have been for a few years now
I now split my levemir which has helped but using the abbott sensors has really changed things and bgs are very very good although i still have apx 4-5 mmols rise after breakfast but am really happy with how thing are so many thanks to all ;D

What was on the breakfast menu this morning?

I just finished mine: a rasher of crisp bacon, one egg fried gently in butter, brewed coffee with a few teaspoons of real cream :)
--