Author Topic: Introducing myself  (Read 205 times)

Offline Hariveen Nain

Introducing myself
« on: 13 February 2018, 10:16:16 AM »
Hi all. I am joining this forum to share with people experiences about type II diabetes. I am 76 years old woman living in India. I am married and have two kids. The diabetes- runs in the family. My grandfather and his sisters had it, my father developed it very early in age and managed his condition with insulin and lived to 93 years. Both my brothers have diabetes. It appeared in my younger brother, as it did for my father, when he was in his early thirties. It appeared in me and my older brother when we entered our seventies. My pre-diabetic phase started about 8 years ago. I am a medical and clinical biochemist by education. When I realised my condition I did a tour of physicians who refused to accept that there is such a condition and refused to prescribe any medicine except vitamins and antidepressants. Net result I am now a full fledged diabetic case. Currently I am on metformin and glimy twice a day. I am overweight and am getting treated for bad hip joint and knees so am not overactive.
Recently I heard about a slow release metformin that because of its slow release causes reduced GIT stress and slows the eye degeneration due to diabetes. I read up about it on the internet. What I can not get information on is the rate of release of the medicine. How long does the affect last? One pill available in India reaches its peak in 3-4 hours and is effective for about 8 hours. That does not seem to cover 24 hours. I am taking metformin twice a day and need detailed information on the issue. But whatever does it mean to reach its peak in 3-4 hours anyhow?

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2018, 10:58:56 AM »
Hello - what's GIT stress? - if it means gastro intestinal, then yes the slow release Metformin does reduce that for some people simply because of the coating they put on the SR tablets.

I've never heard anything about it reducing eye damage - as far as we know in the UK all diabetic complications are normally caused by too high blood glucose for too long and Metformin has no direct BG lowering effects - it merely goes some way in controlling insulin resistance in the body to enable ones own insulin to work more efficiently, since most Type 2 diabetics still produce sufficient of their own but it simply doesn't work properly because of whatever else has gone awry in the person's body.  Hence the timing of the release of the drug has no bearing on the person's BG - only the side effects of the drug.

Eye or other complications are not inevitable whatever 'Type' we happen to be - if Metformin was effective then every Type 1 diabetic in the world would also need to take it - and we don't!  We simply try to control our BG using the essential insulin we are prescribed, matching the basal insulin correctly to each person's individual needs and adjusting the mealtime doses we take to correctly deal with the amount of carbohydrate in any food.
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2018, 11:39:02 AM »
Hello Hariveen and welcome to the forum.
My pre-diabetic phase started about 8 years ago. I am a medical and clinical biochemist by education. When I realised my condition I did a tour of physicians who refused to accept that there is such a condition and refused to prescribe any medicine except vitamins and antidepressants. Net result I am now a full fledged diabetic case. Currently I am on metformin and glimy twice a day. I am overweight and am getting treated for bad hip joint and knees so am not overactive.

Well, so far as I am aware, there is no medication suitable for pre-diabetes.  The "medicine" that would possibly have averted full-blown diabetes is not a medicine as such, but a way of eating.  In other words avoiding foods which raise blood sugars.  The foods which raise BGs are anything with flour, so chapattis, Naan etc, rice, pasta, potatoes and very ripe fruit - in other words starches.  At a guess, being Indian those foods probably play a large part in your diet?

As Sedge says, Metformin lowers your blood sugar levels by improving the way your body handles insulin and reducing insulin resistance.  For example I am a Type 1 but I put on weight and insulin resistance was a result of the weight.  I was prescribed Meformin SR and it drastically reduced the amount of insulin I need.  Tummy problems are well known side effects of ordinary Metformin.  The SR Metformin slowly releases itself over 24 hours and alleviates those tummy problems.  I take 2000 mg right after my lunch and that's it for the day.  One other thing about Metformin is that it gradually builds up in your system over a few weeks, so missing one day usually doesn't matter as it can take up to 4 weeks to completely leave the body.

Eye degeneration is caused by constant high BGs or wildly swinging BGs. I have never heard of metformin slowing the eye degeneration except by the fact that lowering insulin resistance means your BGs will not be so high.   Even so, medication or no medication, diet is still the best form of treatment.  If you have a meter you can check before a meal and at one and two hours after a meal and see what that meal has done to your BGs.  Avoiding carbohydrate really does make a difference.

Here's a link for you on the subject of diet and testing http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=136

Hope this helps.  Please do feel free to chat and ask questions  :)
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 Sept 2017.  45 (6.3) April 2018.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Paulines7

« Reply #3 on: 13 February 2018, 01:46:42 PM »
Hello Hariveen and may I also welcome you to the forum.  I have never used Metformin or any other medication for my diabetes so I regret I cannot advise you on that.  I manage my Type 2 by diet alone and am on a low carb high fat diet.

Sedge and Patti are very knowledgeable on diabetic matters and the link that Patti has given will be very helpful to you.  They both helped me when I joined the forum on diagnosis 4 years ago and if it hadn't have been for them and others on here, I know I would not have been able to control my diabetes as well as I have done.

I also recommend a book that you may find helpful.  It is "The Real Meal Revolution: The Radical, Sustainable Approach to Healthy Eating" by Professor Tim Noakes.   

He has also written "Diabetes Unpacked: Just Science and Sense. No Sugar Coating" and "The Banting Pocket Guide" but these do not contain as much detail as "The Real Meal Revolution".

The greatest thing about a low carb diet is that it can also help with weight loss.  I find I don't get hungry and am eating less than I used to.  I have lost about 24 lbs since 2014 when I started on this way of eating.

Let us know how you get on Hariveen and if you have any diet questions, I may be able to help.
Diabetes Type2 diagnosed March 2014.  Treated by diet only.  HbA1c 60 on diagnosis, 52 in June 2014, 50 October 2014, 44 December 2014, 48 May 2015, 50 Sep 2015, 53 Jan 2016, 50 Oct 2016, 56 Feb 2017, 50 Jun 2017. 50 Aug 2017. 47 Feb 2018  Pacemaker fitted 2008 - replaced 2017.

When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want 'em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Offline Alan

• Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey
« Reply #4 on: 13 February 2018, 10:04:18 PM »
Hi all. I am joining this forum to share with people experiences about type II diabetes. I am 76 years old woman living in India. I am married and have two kids. The diabetes- runs in the family. My grandfather and his sisters had it, my father developed it very early in age and managed his condition with insulin and lived to 93 years. Both my brothers have diabetes. It appeared in my younger brother, as it did for my father, when he was in his early thirties. It appeared in me and my older brother when we entered our seventies.

G'day and welcome to the forum. Your family background echoes mine. I was totally unaware of how many of my relatives were type 2 until after my own diagnosis.

My pre-diabetic phase started about 8 years ago. I am a medical and clinical biochemist by education. When I realised my condition I did a tour of physicians who refused to accept that there is such a condition and refused to prescribe any medicine except vitamins and antidepressants. Net result I am now a full fledged diabetic case. Currently I am on metformin and glimy twice a day. I am overweight and am getting treated for bad hip joint and knees so am not overactive.

I am not over-active too, primarily because I am lazy :). I presume glimy is glimepride. I hope you don't mind me asking lots of questions; only answer if you are comfortable doing so but it would help us offer more useful suggestions if you add some specific details such as your metformin and glimepride dosage (I am on 2x1000mg daily metformin).

Do you know your present HbA1c? Do you have a home blood glucose meter? If so, how often do you test your blood glucose, what is the timing of those tests related to your meals and what numbers do you usually see? Does your meter give results in mg/dl or mmol/l?

Much more important, as Patti advised, is information about your usual way of eating. Do you follow a veg or non-veg way of eating? Could you describe a typical day's menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner with usual portion sizes, side dishes and drinks?

Read this to see why I ask all those questions: Getting Started. I know you are not brand new but those ideas will be new to you.

Recently I heard about a slow release metformin
I'll leave comment on slow release metformin for those who have used it. I never had the side effects because I was already eating much lower carb by the time I added metformin.
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Slow Cooked Beef Brisket)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Surviving Long-haul Flights in Cattle Class)