Author Topic: Metformin and blurred vision  (Read 4241 times)

Offline heather1957

Metformin and blurred vision
« on: 07 September 2012, 07:54:15 AM »
Sorry if this has been asked before but I am very worried at the moment.

Having recently been diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes I started taking Metformin (2 x 500 MGs) 12 days ago and since then my eye sight has gone seriously down hill.

I appreciate that diabetes can affect your eye sight but mine has only gone down since I started the Metformin.

I am talking SERIOUSLY gone down hill! I have been wearing reading glasses for some time but only had distance glasses a year ago, and really haven't worn them as I could see just fine.

I am usually a really strong person but this problem with my eye sight is stressing me out  and would like to know if anyone else has had this problem.

I have searched this on the internet with a various response.

I have been to the opticians but they won't do anything with my glasses until my blood/sugar levels settle down but they have okey'd my current distance glasses for driving although I actually am now wearing my reading glasses for driving as they are much better.

I'm sort of looking for some reassurance!
T2 since 8/12 HbA1c 11/12 6.5
Medication 2 x 500mg Metformin SR at tea time

Offline Lisa65

• Supersop!
Re: Metformin and blurred vision
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2012, 08:39:12 AM »
Hi Heather
It is almost certainly because your blood sugars have gone down after being high for a long time. It should settle once your eyes get used to the lower levels and adjust.

Don't spend out on expensive new glasses for a while as your prescription will be changing. if your reading glasses aren't good enough any more then you could get some cheap ones from the pound shop for the time being.
T2, diagnosed June 2010 3x500mg Metformin SR
Oct 10 HbA1c 6.6 TC 5.59 Trigs 1.17 HDL 0.86
Jun 11 HbA1c 6.3 TC 4.26 Trigs 0.71 HDL 0.93
Feb 12 HbA1c 5.4 TC 4.14 Trigs 0.61 HDL 1.25
Sep 12 HbA1c 5.8 TC 5.08 Trigs 0.65 HDL 1.45

Offline Venomous

• Happy 2012!
« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2012, 09:42:56 AM »
My eyesight has really deteriorated since i was diagnosed... it doesnt help that when my bgs go over 10 usually I notice it because everything looks really blurry, somehow the high blood sugars affect eyesight..... When my bgs come down the sight adjusts, however I've def become more short sighted this year... I can't read the little letters on the back of phone batteries for instance, used to have no problem.
T2 and PCOS.

Levemir and Novorapid started Feb 2012 after hba1c of 90.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
    • Patti and Julian
« Reply #3 on: 07 September 2012, 11:24:54 AM »
Heather

High BGs distort the shape of your eye, so the eye adjusts as much as it can and it's a slow process anyway so you don't really notice it.  When you begin to lower BGs the eye has to adjust again and it takes time.  Your vision should gradually clear.  So be reassured this isn't permanent.

Our eyesight tends to deteriorate as we get older anyway, but I've been diabetic now for 9 and a half years and I when went to have my eye test yesterday the optician told me that my eyesight was excellent "for a person of your age".  I know it's not brilliant, I now have to wear glasses for the computer as well as varifocals other times, but it's a darn sight better than the blurriness I had for about 2 - 3 months when I started to get my BGs down.

Venemous
If you have BGs that are lurching about massively then you will get blurrier vision when you are high.  It's almost worse than having constant high BGs in as much as the damage these fluctuating BGs can do.

However, once Heather gets her BGs down they are unlikely to fluctuate as much as those of us on insulin.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.0 (or 42) April 2014

2011 Patti Evans

Offline heather1957

« Reply #4 on: 07 September 2012, 11:40:33 AM »
As always thanks again for the speedy responses.

I have bought a pair of 3+ foster grant type glasses for the computer and reading so just about manage, luckily I use a Kindle and you can enlarge the type and so I can still read my 'books'.

I am just so surprised how quickly and how bad my eye sight currently is - as I said, luckily I can see fine for driving if I wear my original reading glasses.

It is quite frightening (for me) as I am single and do a lot of driving so just hope it doesn't get any worse.

So much has happened and so quickly that it is hard to get to grips with - I know there are many worse off than I am so I do count my blessings (honestly)  ;)

Online nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #5 on: 07 September 2012, 11:46:27 AM »
Vision does change of its own accord with time but just to second (well, 3rd or 4th) what everyone else is saying.  High BGs distort the actual shape of the eye itself, which naturally changes your vision.  Specifically, they cause the eye to swell - not so's you'd notice by looking but enough to change where the light focuses.  Before diagnosis when your BGs are higher all the time the eyes and brain adjust to the distortion as "normal" and you don't have the impression of having any vision problems.

Then when you are diagnosed and begin to lower your blood sugars that swelling recedes, so now the shape of your eye is different to what it was before and during the time your eyes and brain adjust to this new normal your vision can actually feel worse - even though it's a sign that you're getting better!  This is why - again as has already been said - it's not recommended to get new glasses during the first few months after diagnosis.  Your vision is still changing and hasn't settled yet.

Another thing to keep in mind, although it's a little less happy, is that your distance vision may have been getting a bit worse over time, as it tends to do naturally (unrelated to diabetes).  Except that the swelling from high BGs would have effectively "covered up" any changes in vision you were having behind the scenes in the meantime.  So you may discover that your distance vision is worse than it used to be once your eyes do settle after a few months of stable lower BGs.  If that should happen, again nothing to be overly distressed about, it's not caused by diabetes and it's not a sign that something terrible is going to happen to your sight in the future. :)
T1 DX 1995
Levemir + Novorapid

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Alan

• Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey
« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2012, 02:40:01 AM »

I have bought a pair of 3+ foster grant type glasses for the computer and reading so just about manage, luckily I use a Kindle and you can enlarge the type and so I can still read my 'books'.

I am just so surprised how quickly and how bad my eye sight currently is - as I said, luckily I can see fine for driving if I wear my original reading glasses.

It is quite frightening (for me) as I am single and do a lot of driving so just hope it doesn't get any worse.

So much has happened and so quickly that it is hard to get to grips with - I know there are many worse off than I am so I do count my blessings (honestly)  ;)

This will be temporary. You have done the right thing buying the temporary specs.

You have not mentioned BG levels. How have they changed over the period of your vision changes?
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)

Offline KayCee

« Reply #7 on: 08 September 2012, 01:55:36 PM »
My eyesight is blurry in the morning. The Optician said yesterday that my prescription wanted changing but only slightly. I'm in the Westfield scheme so I will get a refund but glassess are so expensive. She asked me if my BG levels were under control which they seem to be. So she said not to worry about it. I also have stabbing pains in my eye and she said that was ' dry eyes ' and sometimes it can be quite painful.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
    • Patti and Julian
« Reply #8 on: 08 September 2012, 05:02:18 PM »

She asked me if my BG levels were under control which they seem to be.
Are you testing now Kaycee?
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.0 (or 42) April 2014

2011 Patti Evans

Offline KayCee

« Reply #9 on: 11 September 2012, 11:17:01 AM »
Yes Patti. Especially if I go dizzy like the other day. Took a reading and it was 5.7 so that was okay - BP was okay too so I don't know what that was all about.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
    • Patti and Julian
« Reply #10 on: 11 September 2012, 01:24:20 PM »
If you felt dizzy and it was actually 5.7 do you think it was a false hypo perhaps?
Patti

2011 Patti Evans

Offline KayCee

« Reply #11 on: 11 September 2012, 05:49:14 PM »
I don't know Patti but usually if I go below 4 I get very different symptoms - not usually going dizzy. It was like when you stand up quick - that kind of dizzy.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
    • Patti and Julian
« Reply #12 on: 11 September 2012, 05:56:24 PM »
Oh... no suggestions then.
Patti

2011 Patti Evans

Offline skybluedeb

Metformin and blurred vision
« Reply #13 on: 11 September 2012, 08:19:14 PM »
I sometimes get dizzy if my sugars are dropping rapidly, so the BG comes back fine but then a short time later I'll realise I'm low - could it be that?
T1 since 2006. HbA1c 6.1 Oct 2012
Insulin pump - accu-check spirit combo

Offline heather1957

« Reply #14 on: 15 September 2012, 08:29:59 PM »

This will be temporary. You have done the right thing buying the temporary specs.

You have not mentioned BG levels. How have they changed over the period of your vision changes?

My eye sight still hasn't improved  :(

I have been testing and at the moment they are around 8 which is much better than when I first tested at 30.9  :'(

Obviously still very early days as I have only been on the Metformin for about 3 weeks and I am also watching my diet (very closely) I can't say they are settled though as in the last few days I had a reading of 14.5 but that has been the exception of late.

I am eating very boring food though in an effort to get the B/G down as fast as possible but intend to start introducing a few more carbs into my diet as I don't think I can stick to the type of food I'm currently eating long term.

I've started doing some exercise now which I am hoping will help and I am losing a few pound too - so all good!

I just hope when/if my eye sight settles down it goes back to how it was before I started taking the Metformin.