This is actually a variation on another recipe I posted in the old forum, which in it's turn was a variation of the low carb pound cake. It came about because we bought some blood oranges, which we normally love but these ones were really tart!
2 unwaxed lemons
1 small orange (I used a blood orange) skin scrubbed to remove the wax.
110g softened butter or something like "Utterly Butterly"
110g greek style yoghurt
2 tsps orange extract (optional)
1 tsp baking powder
200g ground almonds
4 large eggs.
1 cup (25g) Splenda
Heat the oven to gas mark 4 (350F, 180C). Grease and bottom line a 9" cake tin - pref a quick release one or a loose bottomed one.
- Put the lemons and orange into a pan of water, bring to the boil and simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours until really really tender. Mine were on 2 hours today - try not to prick them or you will lose a lot of juice into the water and the water should be discarded as it will be very bitter.
- Carefully lift the fruit out of the water with a slotted spoon and put on a plate to cool. Once cooled cut them open and using the tip of a sharp knife and your fingers remove all the pips and discard them.
- Put the fruit into a food processor (if you haven't got one you will need to find a way of chopping them very finely and will need to go to the end of these instructions to continue the recipe)
- Add ALL the other ingredients and whizz for a couple of minutes until the mixture is quite smooth and doesn't have lumps.
- pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and give it a couple of good bangs on the work surface to spread the batter evenly.
- Put into the oven and bake for approx 35 mins or until the top just gives a little under pressure. Kind of as though it's not completely set. Allow to cool in the tin
If you don't have a food processor you can chop the fruit very finely by another means and make the cake in the conventional way by beating the butter and yoghurt together with the Splenda, adding the beaten eggs and essence, then folding in the fruit, ground almonds and baking powder.
Lovely served a bit warm with cream of creme fraiche.
Total cake 53g carbs - serves 10 @ 5.3g carb per serving.