Recipe courtesy George Stella / StellaStyle.comPrep Time 15 min/Cook Time 15 min /Yield 16 pcs /Serves 8
3 egg whites
11⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1⁄2 cup sugar substitute
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
11⁄2 packed cups unsweetened shredded coconut
1. Place oven rack in the center position and preheat to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, beat egg whites and vanilla extract until frothy. Stir in sugar substitute, butter, and baking soda.
3. Fold coconut into the wet ingredients until well combined.
4. Wet fingers to prevent sticking; form the mixture into 16 equal balls about 4 teaspoons in size, and place on the lined baking sheet.
5. Bake for 15 minutes or until they begin to turn golden brown all over. Let cool 15 minutes before serving.
George’s Tips | Pack the dough into a 1 ounce ice cream scoop to form perfectly circular macaroons.
You can also bake them in paper mini muffin liners for a really nice presentation.Variation
Make almond macaroons by replacing the vanilla extract with 1 teaspoon of almond extract and pressing 1 whole raw almond into the top of each macaroon before baking.
calories:125 fat: 11g |protein: 2.5g |fiber: 2g |net carbs: 2.5g