Author Topic: Any other cyclists on here?  (Read 901 times)

Offline simon E

Any other cyclists on here?
« on: 13 December 2014, 01:59:45 PM »
I tried running for my exercise to combat my T2 but struggled to find the time to run. So when I changed jobs to one about 8 miles away rather than the 25 of the previous job I bought a Road bike (racer to anyone the same generation as me... Ionly learnt the new term when I went to buy one) and started cycling to work.

At first it was 2 days a week then grew to 4 then 5 most weeks if I take car 2 times a month I'd be surprised. Apparently its one of the best form of exercise for people like myself a few Kilos (okay stones) heavier than I should have been as its a low impact exercise. Ive lost at least 2 stone over the 2 years (exercise linked with watching what I eat)

Now on a day off when Ben is at school and Lauras at work I cycle between 30 and 50 miles for the peace and quiet it helps stress levels no end (when I leave work on it the hassles and stresses of a busy day go within a hundred yards as well)

So is anyone else a keen cyclist, and did they take to it like myself to try and combat their Diabetes? 

T2. New Medication (08/08/2013) SR 1gm Metformin and 40mg Gliclazide - seeing how i get on with this dosage

Old med 3 x normal 850mg Metformin and 40 mg Glliclazide

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Re: Any other cyclists on here?
« Reply #1 on: 13 December 2014, 05:15:56 PM »
Hubby bought me a bike for Xmas a few years ago.  I hadn't ridden for about 20 odd years.  First time I rode it I fell off.  Then we realised that there is NOWHERE to ride round here that isn't up and down steep hills and/or on scary main roads.  So we sold them.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 Sept 2017.  45 (6.3) April 2018.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline simon E

« Reply #2 on: 13 December 2014, 08:36:13 PM »
Shame you sold them Patti, but if you aren't comfortable or don't enjoy doing something then there's no point to it. I'd got a heavy mountain bike in the shed which I'd probably rode for a total 15 miles in 10 years of ownership...... I sold it and bought a lighter Road bike after a couple 'offs' both me falling off not getting knocked off.... I got the hang of it.....and to the amazement of Laura used it! she had visions of it languishing in the shed like its predecessor.... after a year of constant use she even let me upgrade it to a better one

One I had to laugh afterwards I misjudged a dropped kerb trying to bump up it to get out the way of an ambulance ........   
T2. New Medication (08/08/2013) SR 1gm Metformin and 40mg Gliclazide - seeing how i get on with this dosage

Old med 3 x normal 850mg Metformin and 40 mg Glliclazide

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #3 on: 14 December 2014, 02:02:31 PM »
Ironic.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 Sept 2017.  45 (6.3) April 2018.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Lisa65

« Reply #4 on: 17 December 2014, 04:26:13 PM »
I enjoy cycling but I'm a fair weather rider. I did cycle to work all summer but seeing as I only work a mile from home it wasn't much effort to do so. I did some longer runs over summer, the longest being about 32 miles round the New Forest. Not had the bike out of the shed since about October though.
I have a Cannondale trail mountain  bike which I inherited from my partner when he bought himself a new one. It's a mans bike and slightly on the big side for me, but it's nice and light.

Do you clip in to ride? I bought the shoes and SPD pedals but it scares me to death and I've had a couple of zero speed topples when I couldn't unclip fast enough :( Next year I might just give up trying and go back to normal pedals.
T2, diagnosed June 2010 4x500mg Metformin