Author Topic: Very annoying heat and tastes in my mouth!  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Alan

• Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey
Re: Very annoying heat and tastes in my mouth!
« Reply #30 on: 13 January 2018, 07:54:05 PM »
I can see the Like button Sedge.

Alan

Had you thought about oral Thrush for SWMBO?
No, it's not a condition I am familiar with. I'll do some reading, thanks.
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Slow Cooked Beef Brisket)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Surviving Long-haul Flights in Cattle Class)

Offline Venomous

« Reply #31 on: 13 January 2018, 08:22:04 PM »
If pineapple helps "down there" I'm desperate enough to pop some in place!

I know what you mean - but would seriously caution you to peel it first .......

LOL!
T2 and PCOS. Just had large serous adenofibroma removed with ovary and fallopian tube. Bp is now normal!

Novorapid, levemir, trulicity, metformin.

Offline Venomous

« Reply #32 on: 13 January 2018, 08:30:02 PM »
I wondered if mashing it in with the natural yogurt in the same Tampax tube applicator might be the way - but how the hell does one get rid of the residue?

Pineapple yogurt is delicious, so if eating it would help it's certainly worth a try!

It'd just drain out the usual way.

Patti I think you made that saying up all by yourself lol
T2 and PCOS. Just had large serous adenofibroma removed with ovary and fallopian tube. Bp is now normal!

Novorapid, levemir, trulicity, metformin.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #33 on: 13 January 2018, 10:38:31 PM »

No, I really haven’t.  [size=78%]https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/the+rough+end+of+the+pineapple[/size]
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 Sept 2017.  45 (6.3) April 2018.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Alan

« Reply #34 on: 13 January 2018, 10:48:20 PM »

No, I really haven’t.  [size=78%]https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/the+rough+end+of+the+pineapple[/size]

It never occurred to me that non-antipodeans might not know or use that term :)
--

Offline colette3

« Reply #35 on: 09 March 2018, 10:39:10 AM »
Hello Everybody

Amazed to be in again.  All the while up to yesterday I have been told I am not on the right server when I have tried to get into DSF.  Yesterday for some reason DSF popped up. 

I have had the most awful 2 months in Spain healthwise - dating back to when I had the b throat problem in September.  Horrible tongue and bad tastes in mouth (answered by Alan, [how is your wife now?]).  I decided to go and see a private doctor who speaks English.  He immediately wanted me to have my BP taken and it was sky high (haven't had my blood pressure taken in a surgery for years).  Accepted by the medics in my last surgery that I have over the top White Coat Syndrome and have always accepted my readings.  Not this chap!  Oh no Dr Kildare just waved his arms at me.  He then stuck his size 20 hands under my neck and yes my glands were up!  He then took my hands in his and stuck my fingers where he had previously assaulted my glands and stuck them equally forcibly into my poor glands.  I really wanted to kick him in the shins.  I am a slim lady and I think if we all dug our fingers under the chin we would eventually find glands!  Anyway I was sufficiently concerned to go to the local clinic and the BP was equally awful.  I was given BP tablets (no explanation, just basically thrown down on the table).  Spent the rest of the day translating the Spanish instructions and have been taking them since.  Having my BP taken WITH the tablets I still managed to get to 190/109!!  I have a ridiculous phobia about BP and I have no idea where it's come from.  Got myself (another) meter and absolutely fine now.  I am going to ask for a 24 hour BP check without tablets.  Quite willing to accept my blood pressure is high but its strange it was fine when I left the shores of Inglaterra.

This is going to be book size folks because I have been on my own with my ailments for 2 months now.  I had posted on this problem of Gord/Gerd before here.  The tastes were becoming so awful and my tongue was burning and my throat in such discomfort.  One evening I started to get this sort of slight wisp of wind coming up from my neck.  It was pure acid and I thought 'this isn't GERD!!  I have not had one touch of heartburn - and I couldn't fathom what was going on so like every good Google MD I started to research.  No, no symptoms of GERD but soon found its first cousin Silent Reflux or better known as LPR - Laryngeal/Pharngeal (spelling?) reflux.  Light bulb moment although I do not really have the massive symptoms of Cough, Constant clearing of throat etc   I do have the constant PND/Mucus, the irritated throat, sneezing and runny nose (although that's above the throat) and still the burning tongue - and lovely red tip of tongue.  I have looked up Lymphoma - doubt it.  Read all the forums/fora.  Lots of symptoms like mine, the rest taken with a pinch of salt.  Funnily enough lots of people on the forums are finding that their glands go up and down.  Not so much info from the UK, plenty from the US and wasted a lot of time reading carp and half way down 'read my book' 'see my video merchants'.  I am trying not to gird myself up to having a sensible discussion with my doctor when I get back because I don't think they have a Scooby doo about LPR.  (that's not being facetious and nasty to poor old overworked doctors) but some research from the UK seemed to suggest they have never heard of this problem, only GERD.  I have some (back up to the NHS) health insurance and I will be asking to be referred if I have to wait too long for an ENT appointment (if they will even do that).  There is a 'therapy' called Stretta which has now been approved by the NHS.  It is non invasive and just tightens up the appropriate sphincter muscle which is causing the problem (doesn't close after eating so sending up acid to various places).  It appears not to be too expensive and more and more hospitals in the UK are offering it.  If my 'private' insurance won't fund it I will find the money myself.  The 'pill' treatment is with PPI's like ranitidine, lansoprasol, etc etc but these cause their own problems and unfortunately if my throat is constantly being bombarded with acid it can lead to a pre-cancerous condition. 

The next best treatment is 'Lifestyle Changes'.  Now I've lifestyle changed for Diabetes, and IBS and I've nowhere to go with another Lifestyle Change.  On this one I can't even have a cup of tea or a glass of wine!!  I would love to say 'sod that for a game of soldiers' but I am too refined!

So there it is folks and I can't say how happy I am to, at last, be able to let my worries out.  I feel as if I have been on a desert island.  Hope you are all well and Patti I will get something from the 'shop' as soon as I get back.

You must all be ready for a good sleep now.  Sorryxx

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: 09 March 2018, 12:30:07 PM »
Oh 'eck!

Acid reflux generally does come in any number of costumes - but the first thing you need to do is get it identified properly by someone speaking English properly that you can have a conversation with.  Until you have - it's a bit premature to plan what treatment you are going to have, that's exactly why some doctors disapprove of Dr Google LOL

Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline colette3

« Reply #37 on: 09 March 2018, 03:03:38 PM »
Yes, I do agree with you Sedge.   I am at present composing words for my Doctor that I hope will help her to make a decision on referring me to a consultant.  I understand the Dr Google syndrome which must drive doctors around the bend.  I heard the laughter from the people doing my sigmoidoscopy about Dr Google.  Perhaps the medical profession might want to think a little about why this is happening.  As for me I managed to get a 2:1 degree not too long ago using Professor Google along with the texts I needed.  The trick is to be able to recognise what is useful and what is a load of rubbish buI I will be a timid little mouse for my Doctor.

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: 09 March 2018, 04:58:56 PM »
Always a Good Plan to pretend you are that mouse Colette - then when you turn into a roaring tigress with claws out - they tend to take more notice!
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline colette3

« Reply #39 on: 10 March 2018, 09:35:26 AM »
HaHa.  You are so right.  This doc, if she is still there, is a nice lady - she actually had a thought about GERD in November last year, and I do understand that I have to be a mouse and try to bring her to LPR.  As I said, and unless I am totally wrong, not too many doctors really accept LPR so I will be extra mouse like.  I do think, however, that when she knows I have been dealing with these symptoms on my own for 2 months (and they are not nice) she may have a bit of sympathy with me researching on Google.  We will see!  19 days until I board that plane and I can't wait.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: 10 March 2018, 11:47:27 AM »
So sorry to read your update Colette.  I hope you can get it sorted asap when you get home!

Just to add, too many Drs prescribe PPIs when a test for Helicobacter Pylori could lead to a complete cure.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 Sept 2017.  45 (6.3) April 2018.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline colette3

« Reply #41 on: 11 March 2018, 11:19:28 AM »
Hi Patti

Thank you for you post and Dr Google MD with hons. has just googled Helibactor Pylori and I really don't have any signs of that.  I am now finding it very confusing because I have symptoms of Silent Reflux but certainly not the most common.  Mine is probably acid reflux into the throat and mouth but no hoarseness or clearing throat.  I have PND, Mucus, and a sore tongue, much the same as I've had since September last year and increasingly a white tongue in the morning!!!!  I am not making any assumptions on that one because I have seen the docs a few times since September and what I am thinking, they obviously haven't thought!  I am now totally confused and positively fed up of the whole situation and not very confident that I will be listened to.  I have stopped taking the Lansoprozole because all it does is to give me a sore and irritated throat. Also it is contradicated on the blood pressure medication I am on.   Just been to the Farmacia and got a shedload of Gaviscon which is going to have to help til I get home but I do not want to take PPIs on a trial basis of 4-6 months and  goodbye next patient.  As I said in my book I am happy to have this pesky thing diagnosed and have the Stretta Therapy.  Why suffer if I can cure. 

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: 11 March 2018, 12:06:27 PM »
Thank you for you post and Dr Google MD with hons. has just googled Helibactor Pylori and I really don't have any signs of that.

Colette, it is responsible for a lot of cases of stomach acid and hence reflux.  I suffered terribly with acid reflux until the Helicobacter was cured and not had any since.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Alan

« Reply #43 on: 11 March 2018, 08:02:12 PM »
Hi Patti

Thank you for you post and Dr Google MD with hons. has just googled Helibactor Pylori and I really don't have any signs of that.  I am now finding it very confusing because I have symptoms of Silent Reflux but certainly not the most common.  Mine is probably acid reflux into the throat and mouth but no hoarseness or clearing throat.  I have PND, Mucus, and a sore tongue, much the same as I've had since September last year and increasingly a white tongue in the morning!!!!  I am not making any assumptions on that one because I have seen the docs a few times since September and what I am thinking, they obviously haven't thought!  I am now totally confused and positively fed up of the whole situation and not very confident that I will be listened to.  I have stopped taking the Lansoprozole because all it does is to give me a sore and irritated throat. Also it is contradicated on the blood pressure medication I am on.   Just been to the Farmacia and got a shedload of Gaviscon which is going to have to help til I get home but I do not want to take PPIs on a trial basis of 4-6 months and  goodbye next patient.  As I said in my book I am happy to have this pesky thing diagnosed and have the Stretta Therapy.  Why suffer if I can cure.
SWMBO had some symptoms for years, mainly aftertaste in the mornings and excessive clearing of the throat, but did not take it seriously as she has a doctor-phobia. She eventually became concerned enough to see the doctor when her dentist told her reflux was causing erosion of the enamel on the inner sides of her teeth.

The first med prescribed, Ranitidine (aka Zantac) caused hair loss which worried her much more than enamel loss. She is now taking omeprazole which seems to help without the side effects.

In my own case I only take my prescribed Nexium when I have an acute reflux attack. I tend to avoid taking daily meds when I can to minimise side effects.
--