Author Topic: What savoury spices/herbs to use for 'almond bread'?  (Read 556 times)

Offline GrammaBear

What savoury spices/herbs to use for 'almond bread'?
« on: 01 February 2018, 05:29:09 PM »
Could someone give me an idea of what spice or herb to use for savoury version of almond bread?  I have found a online recipe using almond meal/flour but it contains sweet flavoring.  I would like to substitute something savoury in place of the sweet flavoring.  This bread is not a true bread, but instead a flatbread.  I have made it once and it turned out to be quite tasty in my opinion.  Thank you in advance.
Type 1
Tandem Tslim pump Oct 2015
Dexcom G5 CGM Sep 2007
A1C 6.5%~ Sep 2017

Offline Quantum Learning

Re: What savoury spices/herbs to use for 'almond bread'?
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2018, 07:19:18 PM »
Rosemary, thyme, oregano, garlic, onion?  These would be my favourites to try. If the recipe allows, some cheese?
Type 2 dx Nov 2012 with fasting BG 14%/129.5
HbA1c Jan 2013 79/9.3%
April 2013 50/6.7%
July 2013 39/5.7%
Oct 2013 39/5.7% Chol 5.9
July 2014 45/6.3% Chol 5.5
Aug 2015 61/7.7% Chol 5.9
May 2016 84/9.7% Chol 6.9
Oct 2016 53/7%  Chol 6.3
Dec 2016 41/5.9% Chol 6.0
June 2017 51/6.8% Chol 6.1
Oct 2017 52/6.9%
Jan 2018 51/6.8% Chol 5.9
Metformin SR 2000mg, Doxazosin 4mg, Lansoprazole 30mg, Fexofenadine 180mg Co-Codamol 30/500g when needed. Amitriptyline 20mg
Toujeo/NovoRapid, Allergic to Levemir

Offline GrammaBear

« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2018, 07:34:55 PM »
Rosemary, thyme, oregano, garlic, onion?  These would be my favourites to try. If the recipe allows, some cheese?

Sorry if my question appears foolish, but do you grind the rosemary with a mortar and pestle or do you put rosemary into what you're making whole?  Here in the US, rosemary is sold just the same way it is harvested which looks like a little twig with green leaves - much like a pine tree needles.  I absolutely love rosemary, but I know very little about proper use of it.  I like your savoury choices and thank you for your reply.
Type 1
Dexcom G5 CGM Sep 2007
A1C 6.5%~ Sep 2017

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2018, 09:29:32 PM »
If it's dried, pull some of the individual 'spikes' off the 'twig' - and just scrunch them up a bit so they aren't as long - but they aren't completely smashed to pieces or powdered.  Occasionally we might get a whole 'twig' used in some recipe, but usually it will be the broken up little bits.
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #4 on: 02 February 2018, 04:19:17 AM »
You might be able to find ground rosemary if you prefer it to "blend in" more! That's what I normally use in soups and things these days, after OH objected to having poky, scratchy things in his food! And I rather prefer it too (of course fresh would probably taste better!). It looks similar to ground sage.
T1 DX 1995
Omnipod since 06/04/18 (Novorapid)

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #5 on: 02 February 2018, 08:49:45 AM »
In the UK you get dried rosemary, which is “ground” to a rough powder, but I prefer fresh Nd have a rosemary bush in the garden.  For bread I’d strip the leaves off and chop finely.  If it’s.a casserole I put the whole twig in and fish it out  again at the end.  Same for Thyme as it’s such a faff getting tiny Thyme leaves off.

You could also put finely chopped sun dried tomatoes into your bread or crumbled Feta cheese.

Do you have a link to the recipe please?
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 Sept 2017.  45 (6.3) April 2018.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline GrammaBear

« Reply #6 on: 02 February 2018, 02:22:15 PM »
Here is the link to the recipe I tried and the only thing that I wasn't keen on is that I haven't figured out how to store them.  I put them in a closed container and they seemed to turn very moist on the tops.

https://comfybelly.com/2013/08/sandwich-rounds-using-almond-flour/
Type 1
Dexcom G5 CGM Sep 2007
A1C 6.5%~ Sep 2017

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #7 on: 02 February 2018, 04:05:37 PM »
Are they fully cooled off before you store them? I mention this not because I think you would put them in containers piping hot or anything, but just to point out that bread-type products can be giving off moisture for much longer than you might expect. At my in-laws' bakery, the bread goes in the oven in the mornings and then it has to sit for an incredibly long time on cooling racks - usually didn't get bagged until late afternoon or even well into the evening. Precisely because they would still be giving off moisture inside the bag if they were bagged any sooner! (This is also why if you buy "fresh the same day" bread from a grocery store bakery it usually comes wrapped in a paper bag or an aerated plastic bag [with little holes in it] whereas yesterday's bread will usually be bagged in regular plastic). Of course we are talking about full loaves of bread in the case of the bakery and not individual flatbreads which probably don't need the better part of a day!

You could also store them with something that absorbs some moisture - perhaps layer parchment paper with the wax paper that separates them, for example.
T1 DX 1995
Omnipod since 06/04/18 (Novorapid)

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Alan

• Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey
« Reply #8 on: 02 February 2018, 11:31:17 PM »

Sorry if my question appears foolish, but do you grind the rosemary with a mortar and pestle or do you put rosemary into what you're making whole?  Here in the US, rosemary is sold just the same way it is harvested which looks like a little twig with green leaves - much like a pine tree needles.  I absolutely love rosemary, but I know very little about proper use of it.  I like your savoury choices and thank you for your reply.

I grow my own rosemary and most other herbs. I strip the required leaves from the rosemary twig. On lamb and other meats I add them as they come but for breads or similar uses I chop them finely, similar to parsley. I don't usually use the mortar and pestle for rosematy, I only use those for the herbs I use in curries and similar.
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Slow Cooked Beef Brisket)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Surviving Long-haul Flights in Cattle Class)

Offline GrammaBear

« Reply #9 on: 03 February 2018, 12:11:56 AM »
Are they fully cooled off before you store them? I mention this not because I think you would put them in containers piping hot or anything, but just to point out that bread-type products can be giving off moisture for much longer than you might expect. At my in-laws' bakery, the bread goes in the oven in the mornings and then it has to sit for an incredibly long time on cooling racks - usually didn't get bagged until late afternoon or even well into the evening. Precisely because they would still be giving off moisture inside the bag if they were bagged any sooner! (This is also why if you buy "fresh the same day" bread from a grocery store bakery it usually comes wrapped in a paper bag or an aerated plastic bag [with little holes in it] whereas yesterday's bread will usually be bagged in regular plastic). Of course we are talking about full loaves of bread in the case of the bakery and not individual flatbreads which probably don't need the better part of a day!

You could also store them with something that absorbs some moisture - perhaps layer parchment paper with the wax paper that separates them, for example.

I never knew why the bread fresh from the bakery was placed in a paper bag - thank you for teaching me this information.  Now that you've mentioned that bread also needs to cool off from the inside, I am thinking that I probably did put it away a little too soon.

I am looking forward to trying another batch using rosemary and some freshly ground Parmesan cheese.

As cold as the weather is where I live, it is hard to grow herbs inside.  I do love rosemary though, so I might give it a try after all.
Type 1
Dexcom G5 CGM Sep 2007
A1C 6.5%~ Sep 2017

Offline GrammaBear

« Reply #10 on: 13 February 2018, 02:51:44 PM »
I've tried making these flatbread rounds again and this time I added rosemary and freshly grated parmesan cheese.  And I left them uncovered on the cooling rack for most of the day and that seemed to eliminate the moist tops. 

I would like to try the chopped sun dried tomatoes that Patti mentioned, however I can't seem to find them in the market where we shop.  I must be looking in the wrong place.  Can anyone tell me where your store places them and maybe then I can finally figure it out?  Found the Feta cheese in three different sections of our store.  The store is huge and do wish they would place all the cheese in one general area.
Type 1
Dexcom G5 CGM Sep 2007
A1C 6.5%~ Sep 2017

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #11 on: 13 February 2018, 04:02:37 PM »
Kathy

In Tesco in Penzance you can get them on the top shelf in the canned food aisle, or on the deli counter... but it's quite different in both Sainsbury's and Morrison's.  I'd suggest you ask an assistant in your local market.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 Sept 2017.  45 (6.3) April 2018.

© 2015 Patti Evans