Author Topic: Back in the land of the living  (Read 1003 times)

Offline sophie

Back in the land of the living
« on: 21 February 2018, 05:34:17 PM »
Hi Everyone Not been on the forum recently been a bit poorly and eating whatever was quick and to hand, but now feel back in the land of the living - just!  I have neglected my BMs and was feeling thirsty so decided to check them and they were about 19, so decided to get down to some serious work on them.  They are gradually going down but does anyone know how long it will take me to get them back within normal limits.  still taking 1000mg Glucophage in the evening.  Cut out all potatoes etc. Eating very few carbs - if any.  Shall be glad when the better weather comes and I can get out into the garden.  To top it all my son in law has been made redundant again and is out of work.  They have only been down here 3 years come May and he has already been made redundant twice.  They only moved from jobs they both lived to be near to us oldies to look after us in our old age.  73 this year but I only feel about 40 when I am well.  Anyway enough of my depressing rant.  Hope everyone is ok and love to you all from the nutty lady :-*

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
Re: Back in the land of the living
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2018, 09:10:36 PM »
Hiya, Sophie - the important thing is always that we're alive and if we're also kicking, even better!  LOL

I can't tell you 'how long' cos it entirely depends on your own body, once you instigate the changes you need to make and stick to them.  Obviously test as often as you need to - but don't try to analyse the results more than say once a week.

If much more than a week goes by without any change in meter readings then you'd need to consider if your body needs more help - and where you can find that.  Something simple like running up and down stairs several times more a day than normal - or extra drug help from your GP.

As you say better weather usually makes any and all exercise more likely and more enjoyable so let's hope it gets here soon - but the forecast for next week is bitterly cold - so don't hold your breath waiting!
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline Venomous

« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2018, 01:38:29 PM »
welcome back! hope you see some improvements soon, if not go along to the gp to see if they can provide any more help.
T2 and PCOS. Just had large serous adenofibroma removed with ovary and fallopian tube. Bp is now normal!

Novorapid, levemir, trulicity, metformin.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2018, 06:31:00 PM »
Hi Everyone Not been on the forum recently been a bit poorly and eating whatever was quick and to hand, but now feel back in the land of the living - just!  I have neglected my BMs and was feeling thirsty so decided to check them and they were about 19, so decided to get down to some serious work on them.  They are gradually going down but does anyone know how long it will take me to get them back within normal limits.  still taking 1000mg Glucophage in the evening.  Cut out all potatoes etc. Eating very few carbs - if any.  Shall be glad when the better weather comes and I can get out into the garden.  To top it all my son in law has been made redundant again and is out of work.  They have only been down here 3 years come May and he has already been made redundant twice.  They only moved from jobs they both lived to be near to us oldies to look after us in our old age.  73 this year but I only feel about 40 when I am well.  Anyway enough of my depressing rant.  Hope everyone is ok and love to you all from the nutty lady :-*

Sophie, welcome back!  Firstly being poorly will raise BGs as the body is in trauma and producing Cortisol which is a natural steroid that raises BG.  Add to that the stress re: family problems and it's a double whammy.  Regarding the 1000mg Glucophage, I have always understood that the minimum effective dose is 1500mg and the optimum dose is 2000mg.  I know from myself that is true.  I need much less exogenous insulin when I am on that dose and can see the difference as I have ramped up from 1000mg in the past.  It may be worth considering talking to whoever you see for diabetes and asking about increasing the dose, at least until your BGs come down from that dangerous level.

I'll be 72 next month and in my head I'm still about 30.  I get a shock when I see myself in the mirror!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 Sept 2017.  45 (6.3) April 2018.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Venomous

« Reply #4 on: 22 February 2018, 08:05:23 PM »
I can't believe you are nearly 72 Patti!

I saw my age on a hospital form recently and I was like, 'hehe they got my age wrong!' I was horrified when I realised they were right! :D

We're all still young and strong in our minds.
T2 and PCOS. Just had large serous adenofibroma removed with ovary and fallopian tube. Bp is now normal!

Novorapid, levemir, trulicity, metformin.

Offline sophie

« Reply #5 on: 22 February 2018, 08:31:08 PM »
Thanks for your replies and encouragement.  Had a lot of stress in life since Christmas.  Bm's have now come down to 11.2 so at least they are going in the right direction.  Had chicken for tea with cheese wrapped in bacon, carrots, cauliflower and cabbage.  I must admit I love my cabbage - only one in the house that does, so more for me.  I am drinking plenty of water, and two or three cups of tea with skimmed milk.  Had porridge for breakfast but tomorrow I think I will try an omelette see what difference it makes. Lunch I have a salad with mackerel.  Mackerel shared with dog.  If I have chicken with salad she doesn't want to know.  Perhaps dog is turning into a cat.  Going for my HBA1C on 5 March. Dreading the results.  I was changed from Glucophage to the generic type but they made me really ill with stomach pains and diarrhoea so they changed them back again.  Has anyone come across Bitter Melon to help lower blood sugars?  Anyway it is 8.30pm and past my bedtime.  So to bed to read, and 5am will soon come around.

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: 22 February 2018, 08:44:46 PM »
Off topic but considering the dog - do you think it's possible that he instinctively knows he needs whatever Omegas are in mackerel - which obviously we all know, chicken or any meat,  doesn't contain?
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline Alan

• Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey
« Reply #7 on: 23 February 2018, 12:08:52 AM »
I can't believe you are nearly 72 Patti!

I saw my age on a hospital form recently and I was like, 'hehe they got my age wrong!' I was horrified when I realised they were right! :D

We're all still young and strong in our minds.
My mind is quite sure I am 35 but my body disagrees with it. Unfortunately the body tends to win the debate every time I climb too many stairs.
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Slow Cooked Beef Brisket)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Surviving Long-haul Flights in Cattle Class)

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #8 on: 24 February 2018, 10:07:16 AM »
Bitter melon = there’s always some spammer hawking it.  Usually from the Indian sub-continent, but I have my doubts!

Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 Sept 2017.  45 (6.3) April 2018.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline sophie

« Reply #9 on: 24 February 2018, 08:33:35 PM »
 :) Hi Feeling a lot better bm's down to 8.1,  2 hours after dinner this evening, so I am heading in the right direction.  Husband gone to a classical concert this evening so I thought I would spend the night with Harry Potter but no such luck.  I had a file to sort out and it has taken me 2 hours.  Daughter texted and asked if we would all like to have a meal at hers on Mother's Day instead of buying me a present because they are having to watch the pennies with her husband still looking for another job.    To me that is so much better than a present spending time with them and playing stupid games.  Going back to BM's I have upped  my dose of Glucophage to 1500.  I take one in the morning and 2 with my dinner.  The increased dose has caused some tummy upset with a bit of diarrhoea first thing in the morning but I am hoping it will settle once my system gets used to it.  Can anyone tell me how to make the veggie omelette as I couldn't find the recipe.

Offline BBarb

• XDBB
« Reply #10 on: 26 February 2018, 12:40:02 PM »
Well you're obviously on the right track so a huge 'well done' and keep up the good work.
Looking back - how long do you think it took you to reach the peak high of bg's?  Should you consider it may take as long to reduce them to an acceptable level?  In other words aren't you expecting rather a lot of yourself to get them down any quicker?  I know I felt the same myself when I was trying to lose weight - then a friend mentioned that it'd taken years for me to reach the unacceptable weight I was, and I was stupid to fall for all those diets of 'lose half a stone in a fortnight' promises in newspapers.
It takes months or even years.
My grandson-in-law has been in and out of a job ever since he married my grandaughter, and they have 2 kiddies too.  I fret and worry but have to accept there's nothing I can do.  Its really nice of your daughter to ask you for a mothers day meal and do so agree its a lot nicer than an expensive gift.  Lucky you.
Was it a very special egg ommelette you were looking for?  Would Google help?
Personally, depending on size, I often just fry off some chopped onion, throw some mixed up eggs in and stir round a bit, then add any vegs I have left over (or use fresh ones) then some grated cheese.
Mmmm think I'll have one for lunch.
But most important - congrats over your bloods, 19 down to 8.1 in, what, 2 months?  Wow.    :star:

Offline sophie

« Reply #11 on: 26 February 2018, 12:51:02 PM »
I will try your omelette.  Got BM's them down in about 10days.  On Saturday I had fillet steak, mushrooms and salad and the rest of the family had onion rings and chips with theirs.  I was a bit naughty and allowed myself, wait for it one chip.  It tasted heavenly.  Anyway every one keep warm during this cold spell and look after yourselves.

Offline himtoo

• Prince of Protein
« Reply #12 on: 26 February 2018, 11:46:08 PM »
a great omelette recipe---------- and a big welcome back too !!

3 eggs ( obviously )  -- i would grate some mature cheddar , and fry some mushrooms cut into small chunks , fry some chopped spring onion ,
then put the mixed up eggs in a hot pan , let it bubble a bit -- add the other ingredients , give it another 45 seconds , then transfer the pan to a pre warmed medium grill to finish off the top side of the omelette
fold and serve on a plate

yum !!!!!
T1 Dia Aug 1972 -pumping omnipod since 29/09/15  Losartan 100mg , simvastatin 40mg,Furosemide 40mg, Omeprazole 80mg , Doxazosin 8mg
Hba1c - 06/2013 6.1 02/2014 43(6.1) 07/14 42(6.0) 08/14 40( 5.8 ) 12/14 39 (5.7) 08/15 41 ( 5.9) 10/15 44 ( 6.2 ) 03/16 49 (6.6)
cholesterol --nov 2011 4.3 june 2012 4.4 June 2013 4.1 Feb 2014 4.1 dec 14 4.5 oct 15 4.4
Dafne grad. necrobiosis lipoidica on legs
laser treatment on both eyes 2002 and 2012, injections left eye 3 , wearing Noctura mask since oct 2014

Offline sophie

« Reply #13 on: 27 February 2018, 10:12:33 AM »
Thanks for the recipe.  This morning I had 2 egg omelette with a fresh tomato chopped up in it.  It was really tasted, but will try your recipe next time I venture out to do some shopping. 

Offline sophie

« Reply #14 on: 27 February 2018, 05:08:58 PM »
can anyone help I did a test 2 hours after lunch and it was 8.1.  I haven't had anything since and just tested it before we have our evening meal and it is 10.0.  The only thing I have had is a cup of tea with a small amount of skimmed milk - no sweetners.  I gave up sugar for lent when I was 16 and I haven't touched it since.  I mean that's 57 years ago and we didn't have much then that we could give up.  Hoping someone can help.