Author Topic: Fingers crossed  (Read 696 times)

Offline plumb

Fingers crossed
« on: 29 March 2018, 05:29:16 PM »
Just back from libre training and sensor and reader included,as a start to libre on prescription I had a few forms to fill in and fitted with my first free sensor. Now I have a few hoops to jump through, I must down load readings and to complete a assessment by my DSN, and then a second sensor will be issued and GP requested to prescribe 2 per month for 6 months, when I have to justify its use and my improvements on the libre to continue.I hope there will be more of you to follow
T1 DX1977 pumping Novorapid  and 3 BP Medds s

Offline Liam

• Global Moderator
  • We live to fight another day.
Re: Fingers crossed
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2018, 05:52:42 PM »
Good news indeed!

I think it is slowly becoming more the norm for CGMs to be funded. A bit like how pumps where a postcode lottery until fairly lately. The libre has helped a lot with this is they are much cheaper than other CGM systems.

I forget if you have ever self funded them before? So not sure if you know how useful it will be to you or not. I'm sure you'll love it, at least I've never spoken to anyone that didn't find them very useful.
DX Type I 1994.    Novorapid Animas Vibe pump
HbA1c 3/10 10.2%, 7/10 8.1%, 12/10 7.5%.
2/11 7.8%, 8/11 8.6% 9/11 8.3%.
3/12 62 (7.8%). 10/12 67 (8.3%)
4/13 63 (7.9%) 6/13 59 (7.5%)
1/14 71 (8.6%) 7/14 59 (7.5%) 11/14 (6.7%)
3/15 56 (7.3%) 12/15 49 (6.6%)
Ramipril: 10mg Quetiapine: 550mg Metformin: 2000mg

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2018, 06:43:16 PM »
Great news! Let us know how you get on with it, and with all the hoop-jumping. They say that CGM makes an even bigger difference to BG management than a pump - I can't compare (yet) but the Libre has definitely made a big difference for me and I wouldn't want to be without it now! Hopefully you will get a lot out of it and be allowed to carry on with it. But regardless, for now, enjoy!

One thing that I have found helpful in a very practical sense with the Libre is "fixtapes" - little patches of adhesive that are specifically cut to work around a Libre sensor and help to hold the edges of the sensor adhesive in place. Now, the sensor adhesive in my experience is pretty robust, and even at the end of 2 weeks' time I have to pull pretty hard to get it off! But sometimes you just want a little peace of mind for accidental bumps and tugs. Plus you can get different colours or shapes and jazz it up a bit! (You can also get stickers that go on top of the sensor too - see my picture!)

I usually go through about 2 fixtapes per sensor (one per week). I find the plain round ones work best, although the shapes are fun, they peel up on the edges a little sooner. Let me know if you decide to try them and I can give you some tips on how to apply the tapes! Another option is to just use a really big plaster, I find the Band-Aid brand "tough strips" in the large size (http://a.co/9Vu6HCz) work REALLY well...almost too well! Even after a week or so they stay stuck on really strongly, recommend having some kind of adhesive remover on hand if you go that route! For that reason I consider these the "nuclear option;" I only resort to it if fixtapes aren't sticking and I'm really concerned the sensor might come loose (e.g. the edge is starting to peel a little and I've still got several days left to go...) Also I've been told that it's better if the little hole in the sensor is open to the air, so if you use a plaster you'll want to poke or cut a hole in the centre to line up with the sensor.

I order from here: https://pimpmydiabetes.com and they do ship worldwide, but a bit closer to home for you there is https://www.funkypumpers.com if you prefer!
T1 DX 1995
Omnipod since 06/04/18 (Novorapid)

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Alan

• Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey
« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2018, 09:52:53 PM »
Just back from libre training and sensor and reader included,as a start to libre on prescription I had a few forms to fill in and fitted with my first free sensor. Now I have a few hoops to jump through, I must down load readings and to complete a assessment by my DSN, and then a second sensor will be issued and GP requested to prescribe 2 per month for 6 months, when I have to justify its use and my improvements on the libre to continue.I hope there will be more of you to follow

Glad you are funded. I'm on my second self-funded (AU$92.50 or £50) sensor. I doubt our mob will ever subsidise Libre for well managed Type 2.

I would be interested to know how your (and any other Libre users') Libre data accords with your ordinary meter tests. Mine has consistently read well over a mmol/l lower than my Freestlye Lite even when I allow for the delay between blood and interstitial.
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Slow Cooked Beef Brisket)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Surviving Long-haul Flights in Cattle Class)

Offline Alan

« Reply #4 on: 29 March 2018, 10:04:38 PM »

One thing that I have found helpful in a very practical sense with the Libre is "fixtapes" - little patches of adhesive that are specifically cut to work around a Libre sensor and help to hold the edges of the sensor adhesive in place.

I was rather nervous my first sensor would come off in the shower but it stayed on for the full fortnight. It may have helped that I scrupulously cleaned the area with an alcohol wipe and allowed it to dry well before applying.

For the second one I used this: Medstock Transparent Film Roll. I had to cut out an appropriate circle before applying. It is hard to see it once applied. I am on my third day, hoping there will be no skin irritation when I remove it. Time will tell. It allowed more confidence in the shower and on occasional bumps.

Transparent Film Roll
--

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #5 on: 29 March 2018, 11:05:59 PM »
I can only afford a sensor from time to time.  I have one on now, first since last Sept.  It is reading about 0.8 out from my AccuChek pump handset, sometimes higher, occasionally lower.  It isn't the absolute numbers that concern me, but the trends and the lines.  I have wanted to adjust basals for a little while.  Unfortunately no real patterns have emerged in the last 6 days.  On the other hand I have been eating outside my normal diet due to social events.

Plumb you are dead lucky to get them funded.  I believe my area will not, but due a review end of April/beginning of May so will ask again.  However in the past I have had some freebies as part of trials funded by Abbott.

I use Opsite over mine, I cut it in a circle, with a small circle of paper the size of the sensor under it (in case I have to peel the Opsite off I don't want it to pull the sensor off) with a hole poked in the middle where the hole in the sensor is. 
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 Sept 2017.  45 (6.3) April 2018.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Alan

« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2018, 01:24:13 AM »
I can only afford a sensor from time to time.  I have one on now, first since last Sept.  It is reading about 0.8 out from my AccuChek pump handset, sometimes higher, occasionally lower.  It isn't the absolute numbers that concern me, but the trends and the lines.  I have wanted to adjust basals for a little while.  Unfortunately no real patterns have emerged in the last 6 days.  On the other hand I have been eating outside my normal diet due to social events.

Plumb you are dead lucky to get them funded.  I believe my area will not, but due a review end of April/beginning of May so will ask again.  However in the past I have had some freebies as part of trials funded by Abbott.

I use Opsite over mine, I cut it in a circle, with a small circle of paper the size of the sensor under it (in case I have to peel the Opsite off I don't want it to pull the sensor off) with a hole poked in the middle where the hole in the sensor is.

Opsite looks very similar to the film I use. I had not thought of the hole. It doesn't appear to have made any difference but I'll add one to the next film cover.
--

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #7 on: 30 March 2018, 01:50:46 AM »
I usually "spot check" mine with 3-4 blood tests over the first couple of days. On all but one sensor so far those tests have been close enough that I haven't felt the need to continue to verify the sensor against blood readings (except when BG is low or dropping). I had one sensor that consistently over the 2 weeks read about 1 mmol/L lower than what the blood readings did. But I definitely find them accurate enough for me that I'm willing to base insulin doses on them without "wasting" a strip to confirm (except the one lower-reading one).

The clinic warned me when I was starting out that many people find it reads a bit low for the first 24 hours, presumably due to localized inflammation and healing response to the inserter needle. I have read of some people waiting 24 hours between applying a new sensor and activating it, to make sure that they get 14 "good" days.

I too found no difference when the hole is covered and when it's not - I didn't even realize it was an issue, in fact, but they told me that at my last clinic appointment so thought I'd pass it on!
T1 DX 1995
Omnipod since 06/04/18 (Novorapid)

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline himtoo

• Prince of Protein
« Reply #8 on: 30 March 2018, 08:15:27 AM »
I wear Libre Intermittently and have waited 24 hours to activate after applying.  I have always found them to be pretty accurate for me.

I would actually keep a separate written diary for specific moments that the libre does something that assists you in your control
for example -- getting a reading of 5.4 but with a straight down arrow and so treated before it became a hypo................

that record of individual events as well as better overall control could help sway the HCP mind at assessment time.
T1 Dia Aug 1972 -pumping omnipod since 29/09/15  Losartan 100mg , simvastatin 40mg,Furosemide 40mg, Omeprazole 80mg , Doxazosin 8mg
Hba1c - 06/2013 6.1 02/2014 43(6.1) 07/14 42(6.0) 08/14 40( 5.8 ) 12/14 39 (5.7) 08/15 41 ( 5.9) 10/15 44 ( 6.2 ) 03/16 49 (6.6)
cholesterol --nov 2011 4.3 june 2012 4.4 June 2013 4.1 Feb 2014 4.1 dec 14 4.5 oct 15 4.4
Dafne grad. necrobiosis lipoidica on legs
laser treatment on both eyes 2002 and 2012, injections left eye 3 , wearing Noctura mask since oct 2014

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 30 March 2018, 12:26:48 PM »
Plumb

Out of interest what area CCG are you under and what are their criteria for eligibility?
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 Sept 2017.  45 (6.3) April 2018.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline everydayupsanddowns

• Administrator
    • Every day ups and downs - a diabetes blog
« Reply #10 on: 04 April 2018, 09:25:30 AM »

Opsite looks very similar to the film I use. I had not thought of the hole. It doesn't appear to have made any difference but I'll add one to the next film cover.

I was at a presentation by some Abbott R&D peeps a year or two ago who, at the time, had recently re-engineered the grooves under the sensor (that we never see) and the adhesive between the sensor plastic and the fabric patch. Their advice was that keeping the hole in the centre of the sensor open to the air was very important as it allowed the skin underneath to breath, and also if any moisture did find its way under the sensor during showering or whatever it allowed that moisture to escape.

It seems 14 days is quite a long time for a patch of skin to be covered, and the more it can breathe, the better.
Mike

Type 1 since: 1991 Last HBA1c: 45 (6.3%)  Total Chol 5.0 (1.9HDL / 2.8LDL / Trigs 0.7)
Pumping NovoRapid in a MiniMed 640G
Blogging at: www.everydayupsanddowns.co.uk

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: 04 April 2018, 02:54:40 PM »
Makes total sense - who amongst us has not had a very soft (soggy?) white patch under a well stuck waterproof plaster over a small cut, that fell off 2 days later?

Would hardly want that anywhere else on one's body!
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline plumb

« Reply #12 on: 08 April 2018, 10:44:53 AM »
Well here we are, so far if all goes well I will get 6 months of libre, then it’s will be for a reassessment and then we will see. Although I have been using and self funding when I can afford it (not that often) it was still nice to receive the training. It was explained why its reading was a lot higher or lower than a blood test when out side the norm especially as I had dismissed this previously. The biggest awareness is the use of the arrows and their importance. My next stage is to complete an on line academy and gain a certificate.Also I did get a new Reader and 1 sensor.so can’t be bad.

The criteria’s that I had to meet were very similar to all the other trusts referred by hospital consultant.
Main reason being ie low sugars or high sugars, to be able to adjust setting from the results Testing a minimum of 8 times a day. This has been help as my DSN who  is very proactive.

This all seemed ok but my CCG have now changed and re merged with a difference group to the one that gave approval it which was Thames Valley Priorities committee commissioning policy statement. So  we I will have to go with the flow.
T1 DX1977 pumping Novorapid  and 3 BP Medds s

Offline Alan

« Reply #13 on: 08 April 2018, 10:10:50 PM »
to be able to adjust setting from the results
I didn't know that was possible. How do I do that? I just did my final Libre test of the second 14 days. Libre was 5.1 and my Freestyle Lite was 7.1.
Testing a minimum of 8 times a day.

Is that Libre scans or fingerprick? What is the reason for that?
--

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 09 April 2018, 10:00:08 AM »
I might be reading it wrong Plumb but I assumed you meant adjusting settings on your pump?  I’ve just had the one sensor, but I have been able to adjust the basal settings on my pump through using it.  Do you have the link to the online academy?

Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans