Author Topic: Victoza problem  (Read 215 times)

Offline TerryJ

Victoza problem
« on: 17 April 2018, 08:25:12 AM »
Type 2 since 1999. Current meds Gliclazide
HbA1c Feb10 10.9, May10 7.7, Oct10 6.6, Oct11 6.7, Dec12 6.4, Nov13 6.9

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Re: Victoza problem
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2018, 09:35:55 AM »
Interesting.  I’d heard the thyroid cancer thing but not about how the drug reduces your capacity to produce insulin.

I used to quite like WDDTY magazine some while ago when I used to regularly visit the Osteopath for a hip problem and she used to lend me copies.  However, I did discover one or two articles that needed a pinch of salt.  FWIW I went to the Osteo for several years and received only temporary relief. 2 visits to a good physio cured it permanently as she knew right away what was causing it.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 Sept 2017.  45 (6.3) April 2018.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Venomous

« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2018, 03:16:27 PM »
figures!
T2 and PCOS. Just had large serous adenofibroma removed with ovary and fallopian tube. Bp is now normal!

Novorapid, levemir, trulicity, metformin.

Offline Alan

• Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey
« Reply #3 on: 17 April 2018, 09:56:11 PM »
I used the info in the article to find a slightly more authoritative source, Science Daily: Type 2 diabetes drug can exhaust insulin-producing cells which led to the original 2016 research paper: Liraglutide Compromises Pancreatic β Cell Function in a Humanized Mouse Model

I am always wary of rodent studies. When they are positive I prefer to await the human studies before considering adding a medication to my regimen unless I have no alternative means of meeting a medical need. In my opinion the true human trials end ten years after the drug is first approved for prescription.

When a rodent trial is negative I apply the same logic. Avoid the med totally until those human trials are complete. And still be wary.

Victoza was US FDA approved in January 2010. A year later the FDA issued a warning about the risks of thyroid cancer and pancreatitis associated with liraglutide (Victoza).

If and when I cannot control with d&e and metformin I will probably move direct to insulin.
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Slow Cooked Beef Brisket)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Surviving Long-haul Flights in Cattle Class)

Offline Venomous

« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2018, 08:43:04 AM »
The problem with taking insulin as a T2 is that it takes more and more insulin to do its work effectively.

I've taken victoza for 9/10 months twice now, separated by a few years, (second time as 'trulicity') last time it didn't help with weight loss at all and only slightly with BG levels.

Personally I find gliclazide most effective but it does seem to encourage weight gain.
T2 and PCOS. Just had large serous adenofibroma removed with ovary and fallopian tube. Bp is now normal!

Novorapid, levemir, trulicity, metformin.