Author Topic: I HAVE A START DATE!  (Read 556 times)

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
I HAVE A START DATE!
« on: 03 May 2018, 10:40:12 PM »
June 4th. A bit further in the future than I wanted but all things considered this has moved quite fast so I can't complain!

Paperwork was completed and faxed on Tuesday; on Wednesday I got a call telling me the paperwork was through and I could expect delivery on Thursday (today). I'm due to receive the PDM and pods this evening by courier! ...and then they'll be sitting in my house taunting me for a month before I can start  ;)  But they did say I'm allowed to take it out and press buttons and things if I wish.

I spent all morning accessorizing online. Bought a new kit bag to hold the PDM and an emergency pod change and some stickers for the pods (because of course). Dithered for a long time about buying some reusable decorative covers from a shop on Etsy but in the end decided I'd made enough purchases for now and to wait and see how I got on with everything first. I've also done more practical things like write down a list of questions for my trainer and supplies I'll need to have on hand for my training day.

I'm still a bit nervous, after so much buildup I really want this to go well. I mean, I know from other people's experiences on here that the first few months can be pretty frustrating so I'd like to think I'm prepared for that. I'm more concerned that there will be some practical reason why I can't stick with it, like I have a reaction to the adhesive or I have a lot of pod failures, or I can't find a good place to put the pods that doesn't get in the way of some activity or other, or I drop the PDM and break it or something. And with all the excitement there's a bit of sadness too: I'm leaving behind an era where I could (more or less) "set it and forget it." Now I'll need to have all my gear on hand more often - the circumstances where I can just duck out without my purse will be much more restricted. I'll need to think about every carb I eat instead of rounding because I can dose that much more accurately now. And so on.

But, on the other hand, my last A1c, done on Tuesday to meet some of the requirements for the pump program, was 7.8!! I was beyond thrilled. I haven't had a 7.X on record since 2011! Shows you what a difference it makes having good, encouraging and progressive team behind you makes. I expect my first A1c on the pump to be a bit rubbish from all the "learning experiences", but with a little luck I'll be heading for 6s by the second one! And I just think about that retinopathy I've got developing now and how I'm getting to an age where things don't just heal up so miraculously as they used to anymore, and I'm more motivated to do whatever needs to happen to keep the state of health I've got!
T1 DX 1995
Omnipod since 06/04/18 (Novorapid)

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Re: I HAVE A START DATE!
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2018, 11:25:05 PM »
Nyt

No need to say how thrilled I am for you getting a pump.  I’ve already said it in so many ways.  However I am also so very proud of you, as you should be of yourself, because of the journey you have undertaken from resenting your diabetes to the Nth degree, to your current acceptance and embracing the steps you are about to undertake. I wish I could show you your first post on this forum, but it was on the old platform and sadly lost for ever. You should be so very proud of the journey you have undertaken since.

I do have some understanding of the agony of having a pump there and not being able to use it.  As I had a similar situation.  4 June will come soon... meantime think if the questions you need to ask and if you have time between your studies try to read “Pumping Insulin” by John Walsh.

Love you to bits!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 Sept 2017.  45 (6.3) April 2018.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2018, 11:54:19 PM »
I think I still do resent it! I mean there are large swaths of the whole ordeal that just feel patently unfair. Even now, I think about the fact that I will have to plan my pod changes so the alarms aren't going off at awkward times. That means I'm still scheduling my life around diabetes, and I do resent that kind of thing! But in my defense it is competely unfair  ;D

But you know, the best thing for that has simply been me getting older. I mean, obviously support and hard personal work on coming to accept it play a big role. But when you're a teenager or 20-something, and virtually everyone you spend time with is healthy, happy, and carefree, it's a lot easier to feel like you're somehow "wrong" and different and how very unfair it is that you should have to deal with pharmacies and carb counting and hypos and insurance and things. Now that I'm mid 30's it's more of an age where everybody's kind of got something going on - if not a specific health problem then they are watching what they eat at the very least! And people often have partners, kids, and other serious responsibilities. So you don't feel like the only one in your friend group that has to be sensible.

Last week I attended a conference, and while I found it very convenient to scan my Libre sensor, it was still really awkward to find a good moment to take insulin, and I needed to take a lot because the catering was mostly pastries and fruit, of course. I kept thinking that in a few more months, adding more insulin would be just as convenient and discreet as checking my BG has become now. Unless of course the alarm goes off in the middle of someone's talk or during an exam or something... I'm hoping that the added convenience and control will be enough to offset the added work involved in managing the pump and my sites and all that. I've got 3 months risk-free anyway to see how it all rates!
T1 DX 1995

~-~-~-~
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
  ~-~-~-~

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2018, 12:19:45 AM »

Wah Hey Nyt!

Brilliant news!

Be warned though - first retinal photos I had done after getting the pump revealed a bit of a teeny bleed in the right eye that wasn't there before - nothing to treat, no panic - but simply Grrr and worrying.  (Just my ruddy luck .....)

Roll forwards 12 months till the next one - no sign of the little bugger!  And no sign of it since either, plus the ancient iffy bit (there since the mid 1990s) has since disappeared into the ether too!

Hence, fear ye not if you see some temporary changes you'd rather not have - you need to wait!

And the better control for much longer periods will help enormously - so the occasional glitches with outside catering etc will cease to be such a major concern all in all.

And on my pump, dunno about Omipods obviously, I can choose the volume of the alarms even though still loud enough to wake both Pete and I when we're in bed and no other racket at the time.  I can also silence 'Infusion set change' as many times as I want - the only one I can't is when the thing has completely run out of insulin, so sometimes I short circuit that by doing it earlier even though it is a waste of usable insulin, the regime still has to fit in with me so if I was going to be somewhere I didn't want the disturbance for hours on end, I'd change it early.

If you want it to fit in with your life then I'm certain you can make it do so!
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline himtoo

• Prince of Protein
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2018, 11:45:36 AM »
Fab news Nyt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

right...........some replies to some of your thoughts above........................

I have had 3 pods "alarm" in the 31 months i have been a podder. 1 at 5:30am in bed , 1 in a supermarket at 2:30pm and the 3rd at home at around 7:30pm.
I have ripped 1 pod clean off on a doorframe. I have had rising blood sugars for no apparent reason ( and a smell of insulin ) around the pod on 4 or 5 occasions , so those were dealt with by a pen injection and an early pod change.

so the maths 31 x 30 = 930 pods used so far , issues with pods = 9   9/930 =.001%.

insulin usage and the pod == the pod has a fixed capacity ( 200u ) I always fill mine with 200u --  my average TDD on the pod is circa 52 - 58u per day so plenty in theory.
However , bear in mind if you go on an unexpected 2 day binge and double insulin usage you could run low / run out before the 72 hours is up.
As I don't know what your TDD is -- this is just an example.

I aim to change my pods in the morning as that means less fiddling at night with temp basals , or corrections etc if BG's are elevated at a pod change -- common sense this one really -- I am sure all of us prefer to take less corrections at bed time than during the day.

If I have a special event or journey due on a pod change day ( for example leaving the house at 5am to go to the airport ) I will change the pod out the afternoon before. this means no fiddling at stupid o'clock in the morning, and ensures pod will be operating smoothly.

as for the sound of the alarm on a failing pod -- it has been described by other podders I know as "the song of death" -- there is no ignoring it for sure, although the first time you hear it you may wonder what and where the noise is coming from at first , until you realise it is you making the wailing cry...............

there is no doubt that you only get out of the pump what you put into it in terms of work , but that is true of all pumps , and T1D in general , regardless of regime.

the pump ( omnipod ) combined with the libre has seriously helped reduce my hypos ( only 2 in the last 2 weeks ) and both of those were very mild and only required about 6 grams of carb to fix........

as for adhesive issues.......... I use Derma-S barrier spray . I have also used Cavilon in the past , and there are other products on the market.
I am a totally big wimp so I also use Zoff adhesive remover wipes at change time to take the old pod off. this lets the pod peel away from the skin with no pain , stickiness etc.

I don't know if you have an instagram account but if you do and stick in #omnipod and #omnipodder you will see all the wide variety of places people put there pods. My latest new pod places have been on my forearm and the top of my chest ( just below shoulder ).

it really is exciting times and there may well be some moments of frustration if everything does not miraculously happen from the first week -- but remember the old saying that D is like running a marathon ..... not a sprint !!
T1 Dia Aug 1972 -pumping omnipod since 29/09/15  Losartan 100mg , simvastatin 40mg,Furosemide 40mg, Omeprazole 80mg , Doxazosin 8mg
Hba1c - 06/2013 6.1 02/2014 43(6.1) 07/14 42(6.0) 08/14 40( 5.8 ) 12/14 39 (5.7) 08/15 41 ( 5.9) 10/15 44 ( 6.2 ) 03/16 49 (6.6)
cholesterol --nov 2011 4.3 june 2012 4.4 June 2013 4.1 Feb 2014 4.1 dec 14 4.5 oct 15 4.4
Dafne grad. necrobiosis lipoidica on legs
laser treatment on both eyes 2002 and 2012, injections left eye 3 , wearing Noctura mask since oct 2014

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2018, 12:27:30 PM »
Maths Paul !  I think you'll find that 9 out of 900 is 1% .......
Jenny

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2018, 02:02:03 PM »
Nytquill

I take your point about now being in your early 30s at a time when all your friends have their own responsibilities.   I know it's unfair and even old folk like me feel that from time to time.. then get annoyed with ourselves and shove those feelings back in the cupboard, but basically I think you have changed a fair bit over the years.   No doubt some of it's to do with better HCP care and you being treated like a responsible and knowledgeable person by them, because now you don't need to be on the defensive all the time.

Going back to alarms, I don't like to let my pump go past the 20u remaining alarm as I know that after that point I shall have constant occlusion alarms going off irritating me, so I schedule pump changes ahead to avoid it.  That behaviour becomes 2nd nature.  The only time I have been embarrassed by my pump alarming (at the end of a temp basal) was that time after the opera in the restaurant just as the band stopped playing, when it was stuck firmly down the spandex "undergarment from hell".  I am sure I have told that story on here!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 Sept 2017.  45 (6.3) April 2018.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 04 May 2018, 03:39:37 PM »
Slight issue with the maths there, Paul; I think it's 10 pods a month and not 30! So 31 x 10 = 310 and then 9/310 = 2.9%. Still, a very small percentage considering how complex the system is and the number of things that could have gone wrong but didn't!  :D

Current TDD is about 40 on MDI and lowish carbs. From everything I've heard, I expect that may go down a bit on a pump. But I need relatively massive amounts of insulin if I'm having any carbs to speak of so it really depends on me eating consistently! I'll try to plan ahead for any raging carb benders  ;)

I guess that's the thing I'm most trepidatious about - there will be a lot more thinking ahead in terms of pod filling (am I expecting to need 150u or 200u over the next 3 days?), timing pod changes, etc. As far as the timing goes - what about the alarm that goes off to tell you to change the pod? Since I have an erratic schedule, I'm concerned that e.g. I change my pod at 11 a.m. on Tuesday but on Friday I may be in class or in a meeting at 11 a.m. when it tells me my 3 days are up. I know you get 8 hours grace period after the first notification and don't have to change it right there and then, but the alarm still goes off! But I know I'll get used to it all and presumably the benefits outweigh the hassles (so I hear from literally everyone who's gone on a pump!), I'm just not looking forward to the process of developing new habits!

How do you find the 3rd day with the same pod? I trialled a regular infusion set with nothing in it when I was deciding between pumps, and on the 3rd day it was sore and there was blood in the cannula and it had crimped on the end when I pulled it out. I hear it's pretty common for the 3rd day of a site to be more iffy, and I've heard specifically about "3rd day highs" with Omnipod. With the pods being relatively expensive you really want them to last the full 3 days and not have to use a lot of extras! Have you had this happen?

I have to admit I'd be a bit nervous using an unapproved site, at least at first. Maybe after I'm an old hand like you! But if something goes wrong or I make some newbie mistake, I don't want to be out a pod that they won't replace (they are $30 each to me before insurance!) because of that. But that is definitely something I hear a lot of, because of the way the inserter is, you can stick them in all sorts of places you couldn't reach to put a normal infusion set. And since one of my favorite activities to do is yoga (so it'll be hard to find a spot that won't be affected by bending/stretching/sitting/lying down), maybe I will be motivated to try some of those alternative sites sooner rather than later haha!

Anyway, mostly the things I'm concerned/nervous about are all things that I know will either be solved once I have some experience (or just will never come up for me)...or they won't and the Omnipod isn't for me. I mean there's nothing I can DO about it, realistically, so there's no point fretting! I have 3 months to decide whether I keep the pump or give it back no questions asked, so I'm not locked in to anything if it turns out I don't like it. But as my DSN reminded me, all pumps have their downsides, but "everybody likes the pump that they have!"
T1 DX 1995

~-~-~-~
  ~-~-~-~

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: 04 May 2018, 04:15:57 PM »
Patti: aww, well thank you! :) I think I definitely have, too. When I first came on this forum I was 26 (good lord, where does the time go!) and 26-28 was, for me, a time of deepening anxiety. In getting a handle on that, I ended up reflecting a lot on notions of acceptance (i.e. not trying desperately to keep the bad stuff away, which is what anxiety does, but just accept that this is how things are right now and trust that I can deal with life as it comes) and I think that really helped.

And yes, definitely, getting better health care - I'll say it! that's what it is! - has made a tremendous difference. I am grateful to my previous HCPs for taking me on as a long-term patient at what was technically a short-term clinic, because otherwise I wouldn't have had any access to diabetes-specific care at all. But they were just not set up - in terms of resources and knowledge base - to really effectively help me, and they were mostly conservative rather than proactive.

My current clinic is also, sadly, short-term (6-9 months normally). So probably once I am stable on the pump we'll start talking about a handoff to their sister clinic that does the long-term care. I do worry how that will go but so far the quality of care I've seen at this hospital (including my GP's office, which is hospital-affiliated) has been top notch so I'll just assume that's how it will continue until I know otherwise! :) But it has made SUCH a difference. I made sure to tell them so at my last appointment! They are more progressive and willing to change things up, and they are genuinely supportive and care about me as a person rather than as a statistic. I do think that's the key to it all, it's just a fundamental change in perspective where they see ME and acknowledge that diabetes is only part of my life, and they recognize how capable I am and how hard I'm working, even if I still technically "miss the mark" according to official guidelines (because capability and effort don't always correlate to results!). At my last appointment my CDE handed me Adam Brown's book (bright spots and landmines) and said she had been given it at a conference and wanted to know what I thought!

Anyway - I do recall your opera story Patti! Spandex undergarment from hell :rofl:  I'm thankful that at least I won't have to fish anything out of my drawers! From the videos I've seen on YouTube, even if you get a "screamer" (pod failure alarm) you can muffle it pretty effectively with your hands or a sweater or something until you can excuse yourself to take care of it.
T1 DX 1995

~-~-~-~
  ~-~-~-~

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 04 May 2018, 11:53:41 PM »
You do make me smile Nyt!

I am sorry your current clinic is so short term.  I am sure the sister long care clinic will be equally as good, and equally see YOU as a great person who is trying and battling and winning most of the time.

I spent 8.5 years being treated as a T2 on insulin who could have NO real support.  Which is parlous, but a bit like you, it was a revelation when I was DX properly and got some proper care!

I am sure once you are on your pump your support and care will be exemplary as mine has been on the whole!
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline himtoo

• Prince of Protein
« Reply #10 on: 09 May 2018, 08:35:01 AM »

Hi Nyt ( and all the mathmeticians too -- LOL ) I am blaming low blood sugar , old age , the weather etc etc --  been laughing out loud at how wrong i got that. !!!!!

OK -- as for how much to put in the pod - my usage warrants the full 200 --  my TDD did go down when i started on the pump by about 20% overall.
I would say you should start at a comfortable level and work downwards as you get more used to it.  -- also , in a pinch if i can see i am going to have a carb bender and i think i might risk the pod running out before the end of the 3rd day i will sometimes give a pen inection ( after using the PDM to calculate the suggested bolus ).

Nyt -- we all have "life issues" as regards timing of pod changes ( set changes) ------ with your example of an 11am being in a class -- i would have chosen to change out 3 hours early at home before going in to uni
as for notification that pump is going to run out -- i believe those settings are adjustable --- i have mine set to alarm 1 hour before expiry -- and my low insulin alarm is set at 10 units

as for 3rd day issues -- there have been a few occasions of this but i wouldn't say this is any different to any pump user on any pump. If i notice my BG being any higher than I would expect it to be I will usually override the suggested bolus and add a bit extra ( maybe 0.3 - 0.6u ) and i don't really have issues of  BG's above 8 or 9 using this method.

a final thought on wasted insulin with a pod ---- do remember that when on MDI doing 4-5 injections per day that is equivalent to around 15 -30 units of air shots in 3 days ( depending on if you do 1u or 2u air shots...............
T1 Dia Aug 1972 -pumping omnipod since 29/09/15  Losartan 100mg , simvastatin 40mg,Furosemide 40mg, Omeprazole 80mg , Doxazosin 8mg
Hba1c - 06/2013 6.1 02/2014 43(6.1) 07/14 42(6.0) 08/14 40( 5.8 ) 12/14 39 (5.7) 08/15 41 ( 5.9) 10/15 44 ( 6.2 ) 03/16 49 (6.6)
cholesterol --nov 2011 4.3 june 2012 4.4 June 2013 4.1 Feb 2014 4.1 dec 14 4.5 oct 15 4.4
laser treatment on both eyes 2002 and 2012, injections left eye 3 , wearing Noctura mask since oct 2014

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 09 May 2018, 10:32:44 AM »
Paul

Your remarks on how much insulin in your pod reminded me that I’m due for a pump change today.  I put 200u in at the last change.  I change cannula every 3 days and full pump change every 6.  I just checked and I still have 81u left in the pump!  Before pumping I was on around 45u TDD.  now it seems around half or less!

Nyt usually you will get some help as to a start dose and ratio when going onto the pump.  My nurse started me quite low which was a real leap of faith.  I then worked UP rather than down as Paul suggests, cos if you
think you are a bit high you can give tiny doses to correct, whereas having lots of hypos and adjusting down is rather unpleasant.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: 09 May 2018, 01:06:51 PM »
Good insights, thanks both! I think it's much more doable than it appears - and you mostly just get on with it when something happens - but I admit that from the outside looking in it did sound like a lot of fuss and a lot of points of failure. You know, "and so then the fluffendangle bargled and it took me HOURS to figure out how to unbargle it, and by then the floppenfloofer was about to expire so I just had to blorp the whole thing. Should really have noomped it all from the beginning, but hey, live and learn!"  ;D  Not to mention apparently having to just about buy another plane ticket for your supplies if you want to travel anywhere!

I'm taking it on faith that the benefits outweigh all of that (and I really do think that they must - I have heard of very few people really unhappy with their pumps, and I think it's human nature that things only get talked about when they DON'T work, which ends up being all the talk that we see about a thing - but I have yet to see for myself that they do!) and that I'll learn how to get on with it myself (same thing there, I trust that I can and will, but I have yet to actually experience it!)

Right now I'm pretty excited at getting to try out a new gadget! Only 26 more days to go...
T1 DX 1995

~-~-~-~
  ~-~-~-~

Offline himtoo

• Prince of Protein
« Reply #13 on: 09 May 2018, 05:07:11 PM »
Hi Nyt- I think thevery biggest thing for me was the psychological aspect of turning over my "control " and therefore "me" to a little gadget i could hold in my hand .
there is an enormous amount of trust needed and when results don't happen imediately the reaction for me was to want to throw it out the window cuz i was doing all right before all this malarkey....,,,,,............
but that is where the faith comes in that it will work if you put in the effort , give it time to happen and don't expect it al to miraculously happen overnight.

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: 09 May 2018, 10:20:58 PM »
Hee hee! - when the novelty of new technology starts to wear off and you are a tad frustrated with the stupid lump of plastic and a few soldered electrical connections, cos suddenly you don't understand it perfectly and know instinctively exactly what to do - and throwing it in the dustbin seems very attractive !

Think we all have to go through that, before telling ourselves not to be so silly, cos it absolutely isn't any more complicated than MDI and ruddy KIDS have them and manage fine and so do any number of people a lot more stupid than ME!  Before saying to it Right mate - I'll damn well show YOU whose in charge here!

Deep breath - and proceed to do exactly that!
Jenny