Author Topic: Anyone on Tresiba?  (Read 342 times)

Offline Mops

Anyone on Tresiba?
« on: 10 May 2018, 11:00:23 PM »
Hi all,

Is anyone here taking Tresiba at all? I have a few questions if anyone is 😊

Mops

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
Re: Anyone on Tresiba?
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2018, 11:56:27 PM »
I am! Only been on it for 3ish months though. Ask away!
T1 DX 1995
Omnipod since 06/04/18 (Novorapid)

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Mops

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2018, 07:16:11 AM »
Oh you could be my saviour! I’m currently on novo and lantus. I have been in levemir in the past but that doesn’t work for me. I have a big problem with b12, and lantus is now not working for me. I’ve split it and am still having quite a few lows at its peak time. I understand than Tresiba is even flatter than lantus and reduces the peak time hypo risk. If you would rather pm the answers please feel free!

Why did you change?
How are you finding it?
Does it really not matter if you’re a couple of hours late with it?
How’s your overall control since swapping?
We’re your health team happy for you to swap or did you have to fight for it?

Mops

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2018, 01:25:52 PM »
Well, this is only my experience - can't say if it would work the same for you, like for example I don't have a B12 issue (and if that's affecting how Lantus works for you it could conceivably affect Tresiba as well).

I changed because my team wanted me to, actually. Lantus didn't really work for me, and I was getting decent results on Levemir, which for me was much less peaky than Lantus and gave better coverage over the day (provided I took it 2x/day). But I find in clinics there is a general preference for Lantus and Levemir gets a bum rap, and this clinic was no different in that regard. They initially advocated for me going onto Lantus at first and when I explained I was on Levemir *because* I didn't get on with Lantus they suggested trying something else. At first they put me on Toujeo, but I was really nervous about it because it was basically just a revamped Lantus. And TBH in the short time I was on Toujeo I wasn't terribly impressed with it. So when Tresiba became available (just a few weeks after I had switched) they offered me that instead.

Personally, I LOVE Tresiba. I'm going on a pump in a few weeks' time and I'm almost (almost!) sad to see it go, it's been going so well. For me, at least, it is a lot flatter in action than even Levemir was. I couldn't even tell you if it has a peak time, and I haven't noticed any moments of it wearing off before the next injection either. Obviously no single injection is going to be the right amount to handle everything in your day but Tresiba seems to work really well for my routine. I also have a Libre so I can see what's been happening to my BG while I sleep or in between meals and it's honestly been flat flat flat (relatively speaking!) except for just after meals, which isn't Tresiba's fault!

Now, I've been trying overall to get better control and sort of "take back" my physical health, so I've been doing a few other things concurrently that are also definitely a BIG help. Cutting carb to manageable amounts, and getting 15-20 minutes most days of good solid cardio/toning (youtube videos are awesome for this!). So obviously it isn't all down to Tresiba but I have to say that Tresiba is definitely working WITH these changes and not against them. I'm not having hypos 3 times a day while I try to add more exercise or going high on the days I don't exercise (as long as I don't skip more than 2-3 days in a row!) the way I would have with Lantus and even with Levemir. Same thing for changing carb amounts, obviously if I'm going to have a 200g carb day or something no insulin can really manage that! But going from a lot of days like that to a lot of days at 75g and even under, I haven't had to do anything to my Tresiba dose, just follow my carb ratios with my rapid and it all works out beautifully.

With the exercise, and the better diet, and the Tresiba, I'm getting days of mostly flat BGs (sometimes flat at 8-10 all day, but still), which is super nice to see on the Libre screen! So I'm quite pleased with it overall. And it is at least as forgiving as Levemir with regards to timing and dose changes, possibly moreso, but since I mainly have the same daily schedule as I did when I was taking Levemir I can't really say.

Hope that helps! And good luck in finding something that works for you! Let me know if you have any other questions too :)
T1 DX 1995

~-~-~-~
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
  ~-~-~-~

Offline Mops

« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2018, 02:35:45 PM »
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. From what I have read and what you have said I think it’s time to give it a try. My B12 issues are quite big but I think we have finally worked out a routine of 1/2 jabs a week of that to keep me in a range where it doesn’t affect my diabetes so much. They have been wanting me to switch insulin’s for a while but to an intermediate one instead which for my lifestyle wouldn’t work. They have wanted me to change from novo to fiasp as well as I have quite of lot highs from loading b12 but that speed that works scares me. I have been reluctant to change until b12 settled down but after over 2 hours hypo the other night I feel the time has come.

Do have a couple more questions if that’s ok?

What time do you jab?
What dose do you jab?
When you switched did you do the same amount as levemir or reduce it?

Thanks again

Mops

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2018, 02:57:41 PM »
I'm on Fiasp too! But I'll be switching back to Novo for the pump.  I know some people have not had great experiences with it. I haven't had an problems with it but I haven't found it to be a miraculous difference either. It is faster to start, I think, and faster to end, so it's easier to correct sooner after a meal if I see things are going awry. EDITED TO ADD: when I went on it they definitely did make it seem very serious, like "DON'T pre-dose before eating, take it as you eat or after..." but honestly I take it with about the same timing as I usually took my Novorapid (so 5-15 minutes before eating, depending on when there's a good break to leave my food cooking and go take my insulin), just the curve is a little nicer. Honestly the difference hasn't been all THAT noticeable. I think if you were in the habit of dosing 30-45 minutes before a meal like back in the old days with Regular insulins, you'd have a problem, but I've only had one time that I went hypo from it being faster than my food, and that was for a big pasta meal that I don't have that often so I didn't really have any experience with how to plan for it!

I take 25u, give or take, when I'm getting ready for bed. On weekdays that's normally 11:30p.m. or so, but on weekends more like 1:00 or 1:30 a.m., never had a problem with it. I'm pretty consistent about my bedtime routine so I've never forgotten to take it until the next morning, but apparently you can! I have had a few times where I was pulling an all-nighter or nearly, and ended up taking it at like 3 or 4 a.m. and not really experienced any problems, other than being exhausted lol.

When I switched over I was taking about 30u of Levemir altogether. On paper, the conversion is 1:1 but they had me start lower, I think 24u or so? So something like a 20% reduction, and work up until I was seeing good overnight/fasting results. Good thing they did, because I've never needed 30u. I was taking more like 26-28u for a while, but when I started the exercise that came down a bit.

The prefilled pen is one of those spring-loaded ones, so that's maybe a little odd if you're not used to that. Like the ClikStar or Autopens, if you've ever used those, but not as clunky as the Autopens for sure! For one thing you can move the dial on this pen backwards if you make a mistake in the dose. I was worried it might hurt more, with the spring loaded injection, but it doesn't, and it doesn't sting the way Lantus does, if you've ever experienced that!

I'm sorry to hear you're having such problems with your B12 and that it's complicating your diabetes care as well! Is there eventually an end in sight to the really high doses of B12?
T1 DX 1995

~-~-~-~
  ~-~-~-~

Offline Mops

« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2018, 04:43:50 PM »
Wow you’re amazing thank you for all the info! My B12 problem isn’t helped that I don’t absorb it through food so I only get what u inject. Through a lot of trial and error we have found out that 1ml boosts me by 100 but I lose about 30 every day. We have found that keeping it between 500-700 keep my diabetes stable but I have been as low as 9 and I was hypo all the time and on virtually no insulin at all, but had an awful of problems due to the lack of b12. I’m T1 so it’s quite unusual to have it to this extent as it can often be caused by metformin.

We have worked out that by setting my lantus to s specific dose and then dosing b12 when all that changes is the best way to keep it all stable. Sadly things like infection cripple b12 so that mixes it all up a bit 😂

Thanks for the pen advice, like the fact it can be dialled backwards I have before now gotten it wrong and shot some units into a tissue 😂

I have seen DSN and she is in agreement with the change and has run it past the hospital (all drug changes have to be for me because of b12 problem) and it looks like it’s a go. Will pick it up over the weekend and start.

I’m not going to change to fiasp. I have a friend on it and know it works but I jab as I eat usual y and it all works out ok, even when b12 is out. Highs from b12 are hopefully a thing in the past now. I was dropping and injecting up to 8ml in a go to boost if and that’s where the problems with the massive highs start. So now we have a plan I hope that won’t happen!

Thanks so much for all your help.

Mops

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2018, 05:06:49 PM »
Gosh, that all sounds soooo trying. And must have taken you lots of frustration to figure out how to balance everything. You seem positive about it though, which is great :)
T1 DX 1995

~-~-~-~
  ~-~-~-~

Offline Mops

« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2018, 06:21:16 PM »
I’m working on it. Couldn’t have done any of it without an amazing friend helping me through it all 😊

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2018, 07:05:54 PM »
Thank goodness for the friends that get us through!! :D
T1 DX 1995

~-~-~-~
  ~-~-~-~

Offline Mops

« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2018, 11:48:05 PM »
Very much so, even better as he’s T1 and knows his stuff 😂 (way more than I do!)

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2018, 11:48:57 PM »
I've read this thread with interest today - not an insulin I've ever tried so haven't had any comment to make regarding that - but just wanted to say Hi to Mops - it's been a while hasn't it?  I'm sorry you haven't been well (know what horrific probs B12 causes when it disappears and how difficult it is to diagnose lack of it as being the cause - so great sympathy for that - been a few on here haaving those probs in recent times.

Hang on to that friend, me old mate - we all need friends like that!

Best of luck with the Tresiba - and will you please let us know how you get on with it - cos we do actually still care about you, too!
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2018, 01:09:20 AM »
So sorry... been following this without commenting.  Purely because I have no experience that would help, but I do always welcome Mops.

Is your T1 friend Terry?
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 Sept 2017.  45 (6.3) April 2018.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Mops

« Reply #13 on: 13 May 2018, 11:52:10 AM »
Hello ladies *waves* have collected my prescription this morning so tonight will be the first one. Due to mess up on my part my lantus split hasn’t been great so reduced that this morning in preparation for the change, so enjoying a day of higher numbers for a change 😂

B12 issues do suck and Dr’s are quite reluctant to even investigate it to see if that is the cause, then being complicated like me makes it a lot harder to work out what works.

Quite excited but also nervous about the change just trying to remember to be patient and not worry as that will affect everything too.

No plans at all on letting my mate go, he’s saved my butt one time too many as it is 😂 my dsn loves him too. It’s not Terry, haven’t spoken to him in a while, another email I must make time to write and send.

Mops

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: 13 May 2018, 02:04:00 PM »
Best of luck!
T1 DX 1995

~-~-~-~
  ~-~-~-~