Had a bit of a whirlwind day! My closest friend here in TO as well as my PhD supervisor were both presenting at the same conference on the same day, so I went to hear them talk. Of course pod change time fell right in the middle of all of that! You can postpone it for up to 8 hours but it does beep every hour, not the best in the middle of conference presentations but nobody seemed to mind (I did catch one person starting to reach for their handbag to check their phone when it went off, hee hee!)
On my way to the conference, I took the wrong exit out of the subway station, turned the wrong way down two separate streets, and then got entirely turned around inside the conference hotel (somehow there was a "right" 4th floor and a "wrong" 4th floor and guess which one I went to! And then I went down some stairs next to the elevators to try and retrace my steps quickly, only to come out in a completely unidentifiable place from where I first took the elevator...) so all in all I arrived at the first talk a bit stressed! It was nice to be able to quickly scan with Libre and add a correction for the stress high so discretely!
And then it went kind of downhill from there. Turns out the high may have been from insulin going off as pod change time approached, because it just kept getting higher. I corrected again when I saw it was going in the wrong direction still, and it kept going up after that. By lunchtime I was testing mid-teens and after I bolused for lunch I thought "this is the situation ketone tests are made for" so I did one of them and came back 1.5! Ooooops. Pod was 2+ hours past official change time and clearly not delivering useful insulin at this point, so I manually injected 6u with a syringe in my bag. I was a bit worried about having just bolused but I was also having a decently carby lunch (sushi) so I figured a smallish dose would be a reasonably safe "up the middle" kind of bet where I wouldn't end up either dangerously high with ketones nor dangerously low before I could do anything about it.
I changed pod immediately after lunch and BGs have since come back into range (even trending a little bit too low just now but I'm scanning frequently and armed with plenty of hypo remedies!)
So all's well that ends well but that was a more adventurous first pod change than I was really expecting! New pod is sited around the front a little bit under ribs. Seemed to be the place that moved/was rubbed on the least when I tried bending a few different ways! So far it's comfortable but we'll see how well it fares over the course of the 3 days. Meanwhile have been given instructions to further tweak basal into 3 separate rates, a higher one for morning and afternoon, slightly lower for evening, and lower still for overnight. She also said that the next step will be to raise I:C ratio so that I'm taking less insulin at meals, but one thing at a time!
Personally I expect to have 4, perhaps 5 rates across an average day, but admittedly this is based on the patterns I was used to expecting with MDI. None of which necessarily applies now, of course! So I'm happy to wait and see. CDE said to me today that things are actually going remarkably smoothly, and they rarely get such stable numbers so soon (to which I said oh good! I'm glad you said that, because it certainly doesn't FEEL smooth to me! haha) But actually it has been all somewhat less frustrating (touch wood!) than I expected. I do see what you all mean though about it being like starting over. Things like...I'm not really confident right now about how aggressively to treat lows, because I no longer have any way to know whether this will be a mild one or a big one. Eventually I'll get that back, but right now it's like anything is likely to happen, so my predictive powers are lost - and managing BG on insulin is very much a game of predictions and expectations!