Author Topic: Omnipod is GO!  (Read 1945 times)

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
Re: Omnipod is GO!
« Reply #45 on: 14 June 2018, 02:14:08 PM »
Thanks, Lucy! :D
T1 DX 1995
Omnipod since 06/04/18 (Novorapid)

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: 19 June 2018, 12:19:05 PM »
Well, I had a fun weekend away for my birthday, but diabetes definitely rained on the parade in ways it wouldn't have done pre-pump (or if I was better with the pump). Woke up early most mornings feeling sick and gross from high BGs, and barely saw an in-range number all weekend. Now I was eating massive amounts of food so I take full responsibility for that - and I certainly wasn't expecting BGs to behave well over the weekend! But I wasn't expecting to feel so sick and so stressed all the time - about BGs being high, about BGs not coming down despite multiple corrections (including many syringe corrections), about running out of insulin in the pod, about being queried about my insulin use by my pharmacy...UGH!

By the end I was restricting what I ate so as not to use too much insulin, and doing syringe boluses in order to save the insulin in the pod for basals. It all kind of put a damper on the holiday, though I did still have fun.

Woke up an hour early this morning mega high (19+) AGAIN after only having eaten a handful of crackers between 2 p.m. and bedtime (but had had 2 breakfast sandwiches at McDonald's and a roast beef sandwich and fries at Arby's before 2 p.m.). No ketones to speak of, cannula still in. BG just spiked of its own accord as soon as the bolus for the crackers ran out. I don't know what I'm doing wrong or what I could do differently. I mean, obviously, stop eating as much and let things settle down. But if this pump thing is going to work, it HAS to be able to (*I* have to be able to) handle a holiday with some carb splurges. Right now I kind of hate that me being on the pod means a whole chain of people are basically scrutinizing my food choices - my clinic, because of uploading my data via diasend; the pharmacy, because of me needing to buy more insulin than usual if I eat more than usual; and my insurance, if I have to replace a pod early because I go through the whole reservoir before 72 hours is up.

And now I need to upload my data for the CDE which is also stressful (they're going to see my horrible no-good very bad weekend and go over it with a fine-toothed comb. AAGH!) and I'm supposed to be getting lab work done in the next day or two for an appointment with the endo who I frankly do not want to see right now. I may just put off the appointment, all she seems to do is tick boxes anyway and I am definitely not ticking any boxes right now!!

Have promised myself I will persevere until the end of my 3 month trial period (early Sept.) but I feel like if I'm not seeing SOME benefit to BG management that outweighs all the annoyances (finding a comfortable position to sleep in, dealing with the itching when the adhesive starts pulling - and did I mention that ALL of my 5 previous infusion sites are still clearly visible on my skin? Even after nearly 2 weeks, the first ones still haven't fully healed. It's not like I had a beach-ready body to begin with or anything but if I had been I would be pretty self-conscious about it - I look like I've been attacked by biting insects!) and the added stresses and anxieties about high BGs and getting enough supplies...well this may not be for me.

Still taking comfort in the fact that all of you who have transitioned to a pump have felt similarly and none of you have turned back, so probably I will get the hang of it too! :)
T1 DX 1995

~-~-~-~
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
  ~-~-~-~

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #47 on: 19 June 2018, 12:55:00 PM »
You will!  I know it’s easy to fear what the HCPs are going to say, but don’t, because they are there to help.  Talk to that CDE, ask for their help. Explain it was a holiday.   No one is well controlled ev ry minute of a holiday.

I’ve had a devil of a time this morning (which I’ll tell about in another thread).  At one point I thought the pump was broken and  I can tell you, sheer panic took over at the thought of actually having to do MDI, fir which I do have the wherewithal, but the thought terrorised me!

As to sleeping positions, perhaps you’d be better off with a tubed pump?  Mine just roams free in the bed, hardly ever lie on it by accident and don’t pull it out either.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 Sept 2017.  45 (6.3) April 2018.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: 19 June 2018, 01:01:45 PM »
Nah, I think I would have just as much trouble, if not more, with a tubed pump! Sleeping on the pod itself isn't a problem, it's the pressure on the cannula/tugging on the adhesive, which I reckon would still happen with a tubed pump. Although probably to a lesser degree because the site doesn't protrude as much. Buuuut then you have the tubing and constantly having to find a place for the pump itself, at night and during the day. It would be an adjustment either way, is what I'm getting at. And I feel like I mind the annoyance of the pods much less than I would mind the annoyance of a tubed pump in the long run. Though I can't properly say of course, since I've not tried both!

P.S. Have just written the CDE and told her an abridged version of what I wrote here. They did know I was going away over the weekend so hopefully their expectations were low to begin with haha.
T1 DX 1995

~-~-~-~
  ~-~-~-~

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: 19 June 2018, 04:50:39 PM »
Hope so.. let us know what they say!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 Sept 2017.  45 (6.3) April 2018.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline himtoo

• Prince of Protein
« Reply #50 on: 20 June 2018, 11:38:15 AM »
Hi Nyt.... this is probably what you don't want to hear....................

when i started on the pump and had the horrible feelings about turning over MY LIFE to a gadget ......................i was minded to act as though i had acted all those years ago and go back to basics.............so I ate the same meals every day for the first 3-4 weeks , did loads of basal testing .........in other words didn't really eat that much in a day ( under 1200 calories ) tested like 15-18 times per day , i cried , i experienced all of the things you have mentioned.................but...............slowly all the pieces of the pump puzzle slowly started to fall into place and i told My DSN after week 5 that i would ring her if i needed her ..........not the other way round with her ringing me twice a week.............

..........remember you are on day 16 so far......sending pump hugs !!!  :)
T1 Dia Aug 1972 -pumping omnipod since 29/09/15  Losartan 100mg , simvastatin 40mg,Furosemide 40mg, Omeprazole 80mg , Doxazosin 8mg
Hba1c - 02/2014 43(6.1) 07/14 42(6.0) 08/14 40( 5.8 ) 12/14 39 (5.7) 08/15 41 ( 5.9) 10/15 44 ( 6.2 ) 03/16 49 (6.6) 04/18 46 (6.4)
cholesterol --nov 2011 4.3 june 2012 4.4 June 2013 4.1 Feb 2014 4.1 dec 14 4.5 oct 15 4.4
Dafne grad. necrobiosis lipoidica on legs
laser treatment on both eyes 2002 and 2012, injections left eye 3 , wearing Noctura mask since oct 2014

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: 20 June 2018, 05:53:04 PM »
I totally agree in theory. In practice, it was MY birthday and I was not going to change my plans for a stupid little pod ;) My routine will settle down again in a few more days and then I can really get down to work!

So far I have discovered that a temp basal of something like +20% works well for a night of drinking (I know alcohol can make you go low, but I'm not being reckless - I've always needed extra insulin when I drink even just plain old beer, and after having drinks a few times now on the pump it seems that's still true). So that's one good piece of learning that's come out of it!

Trying my first pod on my back since yesterday. Kind of uncomfortable in some chairs but otherwise seems pretty doable.

CDE has gotten in touch. They're going to contact the pharmacy and make sure they know what my insulin needs are like so they don't query me so closely (her words were "so you can have all the insulin that you want"). She also contacted the Omnipod rep re: skin issues (can still clearly identify where my first and second - and subsequent - sites were, even 16 days on). I use mineral oil to take the adhesive off and that has done the job okay (but sometimes there are red marks that stay for a few days) but the "pump dots" don't seem to be healing very quickly. I assume they're going to suggest Skin-Tac and UniSolve or similar, but I don't yet know what the rep has said - CDE is waiting for my response on the pharmacy question so I need to write her back!
T1 DX 1995

~-~-~-~
  ~-~-~-~

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: 24 June 2018, 11:51:54 AM »
Just wondering how it is going now Nyt?
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: 24 June 2018, 02:40:17 PM »
The pod on the back started leaking about 12 hours before it was due to be changed, so I had to swap it out. First pod that didn't make it all the way to 72 hours. Other than that the back site was pretty nice, but I'm wondering if it might be not the best choice for me as a student with a backpack! I'll try another one eventually and see if I have any better luck.

Saw the CDE on Friday, she was very supportive again. Reminded me that I was probably overanalyzing/getting data overload and that's why I was feeling like things were so much "worse" than before. Felt a bit sheepish because that was one of my major worries going in (in fact one of the things that held me off getting a pump for so long) and here I was doing it anyway! Ah well! But I have tried testing a little less often (i.e. forcing myself to wait 2-3 hours between sensor scans, like I would have done if I didn't have a sensor) and I think it's helping with the anxiety. Plus just having now a few weeks under my belt and feeling a bit less like anything could go wrong at any moment - bit more confidence that I can spot problems and solve them, as with the leaking site the other day!

We also went over a few more things, mostly food related - she even mentioned bolusing for protein! I was impressed. And she had a really good trick for figuring out if the nutrition info on a package of e.g. rice or beans was for dry or cooked portions: check whether the number of carb grams is close to the total weight given for the serving size. If 70-80% or more of the serving weight is made up of carbs, that means there's very little water weight included in the serving size which means the nutrition info is for dry/uncooked. Can't believe I never thought of that, it's so logical!

We did discuss possibly tightening up my correction factor. They started me at 1u:2.5 mmol/L, and then when I had a lot of lows, put me up to 3.0. She said that according to the math (which is just 90 divided by your TDD - she said she doesn't know why 90 is the magic number but it is!) I should be closer to 1u per 2 mmol/L. That was exactly what I was using before on MDI, so it makes perfect sense to me. I agreed that my correction factor seemed too high to me - I feel like corrections at the moment just don't seem to do anything and I keep having to correct 2 and 3 times. Neither of us was comfortable making too big of a jump, so we went with 2.8 for the next little while and will probably keep dialling that in over time.

She also suspects that my carb ratio is off (currently 1:6). She thinks it will come up to 1:8 or 1:10 based on my TDD because I "don't use that much insulin in a day." I rather suspect it will go down to 1:5 or even lower. I did used to be on ratios like 1:7 for part of the day, but I find I have needed more and more insulin per carb as my weight has gone up and my lifestyle has gotten more stressful. Before going on the pump I was at 1:5 all throughout the day and sometimes even that didn't seem to quite do the trick. I think it just looks like I don't need much insulin because I eat moderate carb (vacation days aside). If I was eating the 200-300g per day that's recommended, my TDD would be much higher!

I had an A1c done on Thursday that came back as 8.1 - bit up from the one in March that was 7.8, but understandable given the roller coaster I've been on. Frankly, was expecting worse! Trigs were up again (also not surprising to me) but HDL and ratios were still pretty good. I was all geared up to firmly refuse statins (instead of just dodge the question) with my endo who I was due to see at the same time as the CDE...but she ended up having to go home sick just before my appointment time! Not that I'm pleased she was ill of course but it saved me from what probably would have been a pointless box-ticking appointment and gave me some extra time with the CDE instead which was more useful to me!

Friday evening we had a special meal that we sometimes make that is high fat and involves a lot of potatoes, and I successfully did an extended bolus for it and BGs were flat and level the whole time! I was quite pleased with myself hehe. OH is back to work on Tuesday and then I will be much stricter with my routines and food again and should start to see some real progress.

Something that still does concern me a bit is that the little holes from the infusion sites aren't healing up very quickly. I'm definitely a slower healer, more prone to scarring, as I age, but at this rate I'll need a site rotation scheme that leaves something like 2-3 weeks between repeats and I'm just not sure I have that much suitable "terrain" in the officially accepted areas - between avoiding skin folds and bendy areas, avoiding waistbands of different heights, avoiding places that I'm likely to sit/lie on or bang into, and leaving room for my Libre sensors... Eventually I will probably go "off piste" as many people do with the pods (and the sensors), but not until I'm more experienced and confident. I did ask my CDE about this, and she wrote to the Omnipod rep, but they only came back with advice about removing the adhesive. So it's another wait and see thing, I think - probably it won't be as big a problem as I'm anticipating, though.
T1 DX 1995

~-~-~-~
  ~-~-~-~

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: 25 June 2018, 09:39:56 AM »
Hi Nyt

It sounds like you have an excellent CDE.  You sound much reassured that you’re doing OK and it IS a big leap from MDI to pumping.

FWIW I also have to bolus for protein in the absence of much inthe way of carb.  If I have say 2 poached eggs on top of 1 slice of Burgen toast and 3 rashers of bacon (thin, streaky rashers like American bacon).  Then I bolus for 20g carb whereas the bread is only 12g, but the dose works.  Interesting about dry/cooked weight of foods, most of our packaging does state which, but occasionally I have got something like cous-cous packaged abroad, which doesn’t state.

I’m trying to get my head around the math for the correction factor. Surely your TDD depends on what you eat and varies from day to day.  Secondly using that method of dividing 90 by your TDD people using less insulin would have a higher correction factor which seems counter-intuitive.  Using my last two days, TDD Has been 21 and 23 which would give a correction factor of 3.9 and that would deffo have me hypo!

Regarding the little holes not healing, I am unsure if there is any parallel here but when I first had the pump I got lots of bruises on the cannula sites, but 5 years down the line I rarely get one.  Except just before holiday I had an absolute gusher when I took the cannula off and a massive bruise with a red dot in the middle.  The bruise has just gone but the dot is still there.  I wonder if the body just gets less sensitive?

You sound happier and I tell you, I wish I had your CDE!
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline himtoo

• Prince of Protein
« Reply #55 on: 25 June 2018, 01:03:06 PM »
hi nyt----- my sites normally disappear in about 7-10 days after pod removal

i too bolus for very low carb and no carb meals ...........i boulus at approx 40% of the carb equivalent of the protein contained
so example ::: 100 gr egg = 12.5 protein ...so bolus would be 12.5 x 40% = 5 equivalent carb

using your CDE formula for correction would be a bit too much insulin for me but is not too far away...........90 / 53 TDD =1.7 correction factor
i am currently using 1.9 for all waking hours and 2.0 for late night into early morning.
T1 Dia Aug 1972 -pumping omnipod since 29/09/15  Losartan 100mg , simvastatin 40mg,Furosemide 40mg, Omeprazole 80mg , Doxazosin 8mg
Hba1c - 02/2014 43(6.1) 07/14 42(6.0) 08/14 40( 5.8 ) 12/14 39 (5.7) 08/15 41 ( 5.9) 10/15 44 ( 6.2 ) 03/16 49 (6.6) 04/18 46 (6.4)
cholesterol --nov 2011 4.3 june 2012 4.4 June 2013 4.1 Feb 2014 4.1 dec 14 4.5 oct 15 4.4
laser treatment on both eyes 2002 and 2012, injections left eye 3 , wearing Noctura mask since oct 2014

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: 25 June 2018, 01:28:42 PM »
So how come using the correction calculation, those on higher doses of insulin have lower correction factors than those on a low TDD.  Doesn't make sense to me.
Patti

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline himtoo

• Prince of Protein
« Reply #57 on: 25 June 2018, 01:45:47 PM »

I’m trying to get my head around the math for the correction factor. Surely your TDD depends on what you eat and varies from day to day.  Secondly using that method of dividing 90 by your TDD people using less insulin would have a higher correction factor which seems counter-intuitive.  Using my last two days, TDD Has been 21 and 23 which would give a correction factor of 3.9 and that would deffo have me hypo!

Hi Patti -- how much does 1u of correctin bring your BG down by -- forget calculations using that formula  ??? ?

the formula is like all formulas surounding D control ... they are certainly starting points and what our learned but formulaic HCP's start with as default

I agree TDD can vary from day to day but using the info from the pump to get an average is where i start when looking at formulas

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: 25 June 2018, 03:32:26 PM »
Patti - I pointed out to her that my TDD varies according to what I eat, and she said that's true, but there's usually an identifiable range that you gravitate to that you can take as an average. And TDD is still a pretty good overall indicator of someone's insulin needs/insulin resistance. Where TDD is mainly elevated due to lots of bolusing for high carb meals, well a high carb diet does increase insulin needs across the board (at least in my experience) so it still works as a very broad indicator that this person is likely to need more insulin all around, and vice versa for TDDs that are lower due to low-carbing. If you're in a situation where you need to pull a number "out of the air" - like deciding how much extra insulin to give for sick days, or converting from MDI to a pump where potentially none of your previous settings still apply - formulas based on TDD are probably going to get you closer to "right" and leave you with less tweaking to do than just starting everyone with some base amount (the way they give everyone a carb ratio of 1:10 at first!)

Dividing into 90 is meant to be an estimate or a ballpark figure, not a prescription - like in my case, a way to gauge how likely it is that your correction factor is "off" when you're troubleshooting what might be causing a particular problem. Obviously if you know your correction factor to be something else then you don't need to use it!

I think you may be confused though, because a lower correction factor actually means you need MORE insulin to do the same work (same as for carb ratios; a smaller number in the ratio itself means a greater dose of insulin for the same meal).

Example 1: TDD = 45.
90/45 = 2.0
This person's correction factor will likely be around 1:2.0, i.e. 1u of insulin will reduce BG by 2.0
Given a high BG of 16, this person would theoretically need 5 units to reduce their BG down to 6.

Example 2: TDD = 30
90/30 = 3.0
This person's correction factor will likely be around 1:3.0, i.e. 1u of insulin will reduce BG by 3.0
Given a high BG of 16, this person would theoretically need 3.3 units to reduce their BG down to 6.

Interestingly enough, the formula comes pretty close to estimating both mine and Paul's correction factor, which is kind of what my CDE was saying - it's not clear why 90 is the magic number, but it does seem to work for most people!
T1 DX 1995

~-~-~-~
  ~-~-~-~

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: 25 June 2018, 03:45:04 PM »
Re: sites
The site from my very first pod 3 weeks ago is definitely still visible. That one got very sore in the last 24 hours before pod change and I think was just not a good placement for me. My 2nd and 3rd sites - that I removed 17 and 14 days ago, respectively - are also still identifiable, but they are faded. And of course all the sites since then are even more visible.

I also still have visible marks from the adhesive, but I think that's down to my removal technique, which I'm working on. I was using mineral oil right from the start to remove them, but now I've also started soaking the adhesive with warm water first, and then being even more liberal with the mineral oil. Still see some marks where the last pod appears to have pulled off part of the top layer of dead skin though, which means it's still kind of traumatic for the tissue there! The mineral oil does a fine job getting the sticky off after I've pulled the pod away, and it does make the pulling part less traumatic, but it doesn't stop it completely. I'm thinking I'll need to invest in some Cavillon spray/wipes with my next pod order. And maybe some actual adhesive remover - getting a bit tired of ending up a greasy mess after each pod change!
T1 DX 1995

~-~-~-~
  ~-~-~-~