Author Topic: Hello  (Read 135 times)

Offline Lucy

Hello
« on: 10 June 2018, 01:06:37 PM »
Hello, must be years since I logged into the site. Have seen some of you elsewhere on social media but not others. Not sure when I was last here but a couple of years ago my blood sugars, weight, anxiety etc were all heading the right way. Then things changed and they went the other way, I’d been discharged from the hospital back to the GP and felt a bit abandoned with the diabetes and not really in the mood to figure things out myself. I’ve just finished several months of 1:1 CBT and am feeling more on top of the anxiety and ready to try diabetes again. Thought I’d pop back in here again, spurred on by a mixture of having first appt back at the hospital tomorrow and seeing Nyts diabetes developments on Facebook.
Type: Lucy.
Lantus and Apidra. Metformin XR, Propanolol

Offline Liam

• Global Moderator
  • We live to fight another day.
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: 10 June 2018, 01:47:04 PM »
Welcome back Lucy.

Sorry to hear you have had a tough time, but glad you are feeling ready to move forward again. Good stuff you got CBT. It really does help but I know it can take a long time to get the 1:1 help.

I have to admit I've forgotten your diabetic history. The back of my mind makes me think you might have slow onset type 1?

I'll have a look when I'm on my PC. Just wanted to quickly say hi and welcome you back.
DX Type I 1994.    Novorapid Animas Vibe pump
HbA1c 3/10 10.2%, 7/10 8.1%, 12/10 7.5%.
2/11 7.8%, 8/11 8.6% 9/11 8.3%.
3/12 62 (7.8%). 10/12 67 (8.3%)
4/13 63 (7.9%) 6/13 59 (7.5%)
1/14 71 (8.6%) 7/14 59 (7.5%) 11/14 (6.7%)
3/15 56 (7.3%) 12/15 49 (6.6%)
Ramipril: 10mg Quetiapine: 550mg Metformin: 2000mg

Offline Lucy

« Reply #2 on: 10 June 2018, 02:01:55 PM »
Hi Liam, thanks I’m diagnosed type 2 and developed diabetes almost 10 years ago aged 21. I’ve been on Lantus and Apidra for most of the time, probably started that 8-9 years ago.

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #3 on: 10 June 2018, 02:20:37 PM »
Hi Lucy! Do you know, I'd gotten so used to seeing your updates on FB that I honestly didn't realize you weren't active on the forum!  :-[

I'm sorry to hear you've been feeling so abandoned. I do know what that's like and it makes a bigger difference than I think we'd like to admit. We're supposed to be self-adjusting and self-sufficient, why should it matter who we see or don't see at our appointments? But it really does. So I'm glad to hear you have an appointment back at hospital again, hopefully it will give you some encouragement!

I'm also sorry to hear about the anxiety, although good on you for doing CBT. Supposed to be one of the most effective things you can do for it, but of course it's not a magic bullet, it's work! But as far as anxiety and diabetes care...you can only do what you can do, you know? I mean when you have more than one "big thing" happening a person can get stretched very thin, and it's totally OK not to be able to check all the boxes all the time.

In any case, it's good to see you! Let us know how your appt. goes tomorrow?
T1 DX 1995
Omnipod since 06/04/18 (Novorapid)

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Lucy

« Reply #4 on: 10 June 2018, 05:27:50 PM »
The last time I had an appointment with the hospital was early 2016. I did have one annual review at the GP in between but it was pointless, she just said “don’t worry about it your a1c average is fine” to any questions I had, and ticked my feet as being fine without me even taking off my shoes... so I didn’t bother going to the checkup this year I just had the blood tests. It came back as about 8.3% though so my GP called me to come in for a chat and referred me to the hospital.

The CBT has helped though not in the way I expected. I have problems speaking to people I don’t know, as in I find it difficult to get the words out. I was sort of thinking that the point of CBT was to cure that. My speech in these situations isn’t actually that much better but I don’t get as stressed about it and realise other people are generally quite patient etc. The person I had CBT with has spoken to the diabetes doctor I’ll be seeing to explain things and check I’m seeing the same person as before, and I’ve written my points on my iPad so I’m much less nervous than usual about the appointment.

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #5 on: 11 June 2018, 08:08:06 AM »
Hi Lucy and welcome back.  I did a long post yesterday and lost it.  Unfortunately the internet here is rather flaky and if it cuts out as I press ‘Post’ then the message is lost.

I did think that the last time you posted you were doing well on Tresiba... but struggling to get the Dr to prescribe it?

Anyway, good luck at the hospital.  Glad you have been referred back.  Please let us know how it goes.
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 Sept 2017.  45 (6.3) April 2018.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline himtoo

• Prince of Protein
« Reply #6 on: 11 June 2018, 10:37:10 AM »
Hi Lucy..............really pleased to see you again...and saddened to know you feel / felt abandoned.... it is horrible dealing with this on our own.

glad you are referred back to hospital !!!
keep us in the loop please.
T1 Dia Aug 1972 -pumping omnipod since 29/09/15  Losartan 100mg , simvastatin 40mg,Furosemide 40mg, Omeprazole 80mg , Doxazosin 8mg
Hba1c - 06/2013 6.1 02/2014 43(6.1) 07/14 42(6.0) 08/14 40( 5.8 ) 12/14 39 (5.7) 08/15 41 ( 5.9) 10/15 44 ( 6.2 ) 03/16 49 (6.6)
cholesterol --nov 2011 4.3 june 2012 4.4 June 2013 4.1 Feb 2014 4.1 dec 14 4.5 oct 15 4.4
Dafne grad. necrobiosis lipoidica on legs
laser treatment on both eyes 2002 and 2012, injections left eye 3 , wearing Noctura mask since oct 2014

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: 11 June 2018, 01:06:07 PM »
(Off topic: Patti, may I suggest either composing your long posts directly in the Notes app on your iPad, or else doing "select all" and "copy" before hitting the "post" button? That way if your post doesn't go through, your text won't be lost - you'll just have to paste it back in and try to post again again.)
T1 DX 1995

~-~-~-~
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
  ~-~-~-~

Offline Lucy

« Reply #8 on: 11 June 2018, 10:29:39 PM »
I was on tresiba a few years ago, to be honest I didn’t like it as it was too flat which didn’t work for me as it gave me more hypos in my most sensitive time of day. But the consultant at the old hospital thought it was the best thing ever and didn’t want me to switch back. I’m on lantus and apidra now, and have been for the last couple of years. I still take the metformin, and a beta blocker for the svt, though we switched it to a different one, propanalol instead of bisoprolol as the propanalol has the benefit of reducing anxiety too. It’s helped in some ways, as I am able to perform musically without shaking any more. Haven’t noticed it reducing any of my other anxieties reducing but music is important to me so it’s worth the hassle of having to remember to take it three times a day (bisoprolol was only once).

I was taking Victoza but i don’t think it was doing anything so we stopped it today and have started a low dose of one of the tablets that make you pee out sugar instead, to support weight loss efforts which I am starting renewed efforts at. I didn’t ask about my a1c level or cholesterol or anything else numbers wise, I’ll probably get them on the letter I get sent a copy of. (Dictating this on iPad and thought quick better select all / copy now just in case!).

Also setting up some appointments with the dietician and nurse at the diabetes centre to talk about diet and bgs. I’m not  interested in LCHF, it doesn’t suit me at all as fat upsets my stomach, but a moderate carb / protein diet, with some of the carbs switched for veg and learning eating habits that keep weight off is what I’d want to aim for. The appointments with the nurse are to check in before I see the consultant in 6 months, talk about the bgs and help me adjust things as they change when I hopefully lose weight. We can also put the new tablet up to the full dose if it goes okay.

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: 11 June 2018, 11:25:55 PM »
It really sounds like you are taking a very level-headed approach and focusing on works best for you - that's the most anyone can do!
T1 DX 1995

~-~-~-~
  ~-~-~-~