Author Topic: Just need to vent........  (Read 849 times)

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
Re: Just need to vent........
« Reply #15 on: 10 July 2018, 04:27:25 PM »
LOL - paracetamol here because it works.  The only thing aspirin has ever done for me that I have noticed over the last at least 30 years - is cause raging and persistent heartburn to the degree that I did try it again after diagnosis with PAD and it was instant acid reflux along with the heartburn!  I have few enough of my own teeth left already without destroying the enamel on the rest, thanks.

P was even enough when I 'did' my knee, too and after coming home I soon tried to keep off em again during the day, just living with the pain and only taking them an hour before bed to try and get off to sleep, as soon as I could.  To begin with I had to take more during the early hours when I had to get up anyway for the loo but that didn't last long.

I dunno that being unable to fight e coli is that much to do with weight, Kathy - my granddaughter had to go on IV antibiotics in the finish whilst she was pregnant - not being to eat properly for months on end took so much out of her immune system she just couldn't get rid of it with anything her GP could prescribe and he sent her home to pack a bag and get her mum to drive her to A&E to be admitted for a few days, with a letter!
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline Blueduck

« Reply #16 on: 12 July 2018, 07:27:51 AM »
Take care of yourself   grammabear and I hope you soon feel better x
Cheryl

Spelling is not everything!
Humalog and  Lantus. 4 metformin a day
Diagnosed T2 2010 Now find I am T1 2017

Offline GrammaBear

« Reply #17 on: 12 July 2018, 03:15:31 PM »
Jenni - When I had the first UTI earlier in the year, it was right after I had been treated with antibiotic for a infected cyst.  I had to have two rounds of ABs for that infection.  What followed was a chronic round of UTIs and ABs.  All totaled I've had 10 rounds of ABs since beginning of February 2018.  I just can't seem to catch a break.  I've read all manner of 'hints' on how to avoid these infections, but so far they all say the same things.  I did come across a 'Youtube' video that suggested having a bidet in your home.  These devices are not common in the U.S. so I guess I will have to research that possibility also.
Type 1
Tandem Tslim pump Oct 2015
Dexcom G5 CGM Sep 2007
A1C 6.3% ~ Sep 2018

Offline sedge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: 12 July 2018, 03:30:55 PM »
The old fashioned way of cleaning female bits down there, in hospital, after having a baby or a gynae operation was the get the patient on a bedpan (they were stainless steel in those days) and 'sluice' a jug of warm salt water over her parts - no rubbing, wiping or use of manufactured products near it - then off the pan and onto several layers of towel to dry the actual skin parts - but the 'private parts' were left wet and uncovered for a bit.
Jenny

T1 DX 1972, pumping Novorapid 24/05/11

HbA1c - 7/07 8.7, 1/08 7.8, 9/08 8.4, 3/09 7.3, 7/09 7.2, 12/09 7.3, 11/10 8.1, 2/11 8.6, 9/11 6.5 2/12 6.4  5/12 50/6.7  11/12 52/6.9  01/13 46/6.4  06/16 46/6.4  12/16 45/6.4

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #19 on: 12 July 2018, 03:49:52 PM »
It sounds like you might have some kind of imbalance or something. ABs kill off helpful as well as harmful bacteria - that's why they upset our stomachs so much, they change the balance in our gut bacteria. Maybe the first rounds of ABs you went on for the infected cyst killed off some "good stuff" that has left you more vulnerable to other infections since, and in treating THOSE infections with ABs, the cycle is left to continue... Same as how, as I recall, you're more likely to get thrush after taking antibiotics. Hopefully the urologist will have some ideas!
T1 DX 1995
Omnipod since 06/04/18 (Novorapid)

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #20 on: 12 July 2018, 10:56:34 PM »
That reminds me, when I was younger if you got ABs for anything and you were on the pill you immediately were subject to thrush.  TBH Kathy I should ask if the ABs were the root of the problem for you!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 Sept 2017.  45 (6.3) April 2018.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline GrammaBear

« Reply #21 on: 13 July 2018, 02:58:37 PM »
That reminds me, when I was younger if you got ABs for anything and you were on the pill you immediately were subject to thrush.  TBH Kathy I should ask if the ABs were the root of the problem for you!

Back in January 2018 when hubby and I both had the influenza it took us forever to get over it.  About the same time come Feb 2018 I got an infected cyst for which I got AB.  It has been one vicious cycle ever since.  So I agree with you, I feel the ABs over the past months are in part responsible for my issues.  I just need to find a way to build up my immune system so I might avoid some of these UTIs.  In that light, I've eliminated sugar and wheat from my diet so maybe, just maybe that will be a positive for me.
Type 1
Dexcom G5 CGM Sep 2007
A1C 6.3% ~ Sep 2018

Offline GrammaBear

« Reply #22 on: 13 July 2018, 05:35:48 PM »
The old fashioned way of cleaning female bits down there, in hospital, after having a baby or a gynae operation was the get the patient on a bedpan (they were stainless steel in those days) and 'sluice' a jug of warm salt water over her parts - no rubbing, wiping or use of manufactured products near it - then off the pan and onto several layers of towel to dry the actual skin parts - but the 'private parts' were left wet and uncovered for a bit.

Why did they ever abandon the 'old-fashioned' method of cleaning lady bits after birth or a gynae op? 
It sounds like a perfect method and very soothing.  I know it would have been for me, especially with the first one.
Type 1
Dexcom G5 CGM Sep 2007
A1C 6.3% ~ Sep 2018

Offline colette3

« Reply #23 on: 14 July 2018, 11:50:17 AM »
Hi Gramma Bear

I am on day 4 of a Triple Therapy for H.Pylori.  Now that is really a cute disease;  2 types of Antibiotic and one PPI, plus my diabetes meds, plus little blood pressure tablet and levo - oh and a Probiotic called s.Boulardii which is supposed to stop D in its tracks and also Candida from the ABs.  It's supposed not to be prevalent in our modern world - only in developing countries where water is bad and hygiene is even worse.  So I am feeling so dirty.  Day 4 and ABs causing diarrhoea in a big way.  Have called 111 and Doc going to tell me whether to carry on or stop the treatment.  Hope its the former!   I do hope you get sorted and although like you I am feeling quite 'dirty' I am sure neither of use deserves to even think in those terms!!!

Offline GrammaBear

« Reply #24 on: 14 July 2018, 02:09:51 PM »
Colette3 - I am so sorry for the way you are feeling at present.  I hope your doctor called you back and gave you the news you wanted to hear.  Is there no other treatment that isn't quite as harsh as the present one?  How long are you supposed to carry on with the meds?
Type 1
Dexcom G5 CGM Sep 2007
A1C 6.3% ~ Sep 2018

Offline nytquill17

• Global Moderator
  • It's all in the balance.
« Reply #25 on: 14 July 2018, 02:38:12 PM »
Colette, whoever said that H. Pylori is not supposed to be prevalent in the developed world I think was seriously mistaken. As I recall, many if not most cases of ulcer and reflux in the "developing world" - a condition that is so often put down to "developed" problems like stress, too much coffee, too much greasy or spicy food, etc. - are actually down to H. Pylori and the reason why people's ulcers and reflux persist for so long is precisely that they are being told it's stress or whatever and NOT getting adequate diagnosis and treatment for likely bacterial overgrowth.

So, although I completely understand the emotional reaction of feeling "dirty" due to bacteria, it's actually a much more common infection to have than people realize. So you're no dirtier than any number of people you pass on the street every day! ;)
T1 DX 1995
Omnipod since 06/04/18 (Novorapid)

~-~-~-~
"If you can't ride, can you fall?"
"I suppose anyone can fall," said Shasta.
"I mean can you fall and get up again without crying, and mount again and fall again and yet not be afraid of falling?"
"I - I'll try," said Shasta.
  ~C.S. Lewis, The Horse and His Boy
  ~-~-~-~
"There is no answer; seek it lovingly."

Offline colette3

« Reply #26 on: 14 July 2018, 03:03:56 PM »
Yes Nyt I can so believe that, although that is not what I read, and indeed I have read a lot.  It is, according to those in the know, a disease contracted from poor living conditions.  I believe I got this after the throat infection I had last September, when I began to have weird tastes, burning in my mouth and particularly at the tip of my tongue (people thought that was quite amusing) and finally what I thought was silent reflux.  My doctor really tried for some time to convince me it was GERD but in the absence of any heartburn or pain etc I knew it wasn't.  Thankfully she had a bright idea and after 10 months I hope it will be sorted.

Gramma Bear.  It is a brutal treatment due to the resistance of Antibiotics these days.  I hope just one course will cure things for me cos I don't relish have to have another course.  This is horrible.

Offline GrammaBear

« Reply #27 on: 15 August 2018, 03:15:15 AM »
Update on original post:
Yesterday, 13th August, I saw the Urologist.  He told me that the urine sample I provided shows absolutely no infection at present.  It is his opinion that when I was given a particular antibiotic for an infected cyst, it set into motion a chain of events that led from one UTI to another to another until I had a total of 5 of the bloomin' things.

It was also his opinion that the antibiotic chosen for the infected cyst would most certainly not have been his first 'choice' as that particular antibiotic has a strong side effect of causing diarrhea or UTI in some people.

He recommended several things and one is a supplement called d-mannose powder which dissolves in a glass of water daily for 6 months.  Another was a lose dose of antibiotic daily for 6 months also.  I thought about it and asked him if I could try just the d-mannose first to see if I might be successful.  He agreed to my request.

I see my GP next month and I hardly know what to say to her.  She is the one who prescribed the antibiotic for the infected cyst which seemingly started the chronic UTI thing into motion. 
Type 1
Dexcom G5 CGM Sep 2007
A1C 6.3% ~ Sep 2018

Offline Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
« Reply #28 on: 15 August 2018, 03:53:35 PM »
Excellent that the Urologist seems to have got to the bottom of this.  What to say to your GP... just say "The Urologist said..."and repeat what he said.  That's not your opinion, it's his and she can take it up with him if she wishes can't she?
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 Sept 2017.  45 (6.3) April 2018.

© 2015 Patti Evans