Author Topic: Helicobacter Pylori  (Read 186 times)

Offline colette3

Helicobacter Pylori
« on: 30 October 2018, 12:55:12 PM »
I didn't advertise this much as its not a Diabetic subject. I haven't been on here either as I've just tried to get on with things and really haven't been that careful with my Diabetes for quite a while now. However, have kept an eye and not too much to worry about but certainly not going to win any prizes in the HbA1c stakes.

Had the H Pylori in July.  For those who might not know H Pylori is an inflammation of the stomach lining.  Horrific 3 antibiotics + 1 PPI (for acid) treatment for 14 days (did I see that 7 days was the 'gold standard' for the first treatment?)  I got the news from 'someone' in the surgery telling me I had it - and that the prescriptions I needed were at the pharmacy.  Yeah, thanks for all that information.  Maybe a word with the doctor might have been kind. The treatment was awful because my IBS did not for one minute like all the antibios being swallowed and let me know for the whole two weeks - and then three weeks afterwards.  I ended up having a test for C Difficile (thankfully negative).  I saw another doctor when I finished the course because I decided I would not see the one I had already seen about the Acid Reflux (no talk about H Pylori at all when I was seeing her just me informed out of the blue) and I found it hard to cope with her overbearing manner.  Didn't even cross my mind although Patti (hello) had told me about it.  She gave me the pot for another sample and off I went to the new doctor who seemed great!  However, this doctor then told me to go away and not to worry about it, that the problem would be gone so I didn't need follow up.  I couldn't believe it because I had read extensively by then and knew that many people have 2 or 3 (or more) courses before it cleared.  I walked out feeling so vulnerable and sat on the problem for a while.  I still had the pot and decided that I was going to have the test.  I saw my DSN and asked her would she please arrange a stool sample. She agreed.  I took the sample into the Surgery on the same day as I had the follow up with my DSN.  She told me that she had spoken with the Doctor and I didn't need another test; that the Doc said it generally works the first time. I didn't tell her I had put the sample in that morning, a bit sneaky but honestly by that time it would have gone for testing anyway. Thankfully the Doc was right, I have got rid of the H Pylori.  But not a foregone conclusion and no thanks to them bearing in mind the ferocity of the IBS throughout the treatment.  Thankfully now I am finding the reflux is nearly gone (only now) and I am starting to feel a bit more human!

Sorry for this long moan/rant.  I don't think I will be able to see any of the doctors in this surgery again.  Or the DSN's especially that one who told me not to test my bgs because all it does is hurt my fingers!  I am really considering changing doctors but the one nearest has only a marginally better score than my own.

Ah well, I'll continue to use my lovely Tesco Pharmacist who was more help to me than anyone.

Online Pattidevans

• Administrator
  • It's ONLY Diabetes. It could be something worse!
Re: Helicobacter Pylori
« Reply #1 on: 31 October 2018, 10:23:30 AM »
Hi Colette

I am glad to hear that the acid reflux has gone.  Strictly speaking (for the benefit of others reading) Helicobacter Pylori is a bacteria that causes inflammation of the stomach lining (not inflammation of the stomach lining per se). hence the antibiotics.  I was treated in the early days after the bacteria had been discovered by an Australian doctor and the first lot of antibiotics were not totally effective, so after an endoscopy that showed the H Pylori were still evident, I had to have a second course of ABs.  Obviously the treatment has now been refined.

I know how painful the treatment was for you, so I’m very pleased for you that it worked first time and you have relief from the acid reflux.  One less thing to contend with!
Patti

Type 1.  Mis-diagnosed T2 May 2003, finally had CPeptide test 15/7/11 and proper diagnosis 1/9/11.  Now pumping Apidra with Roche Spirit Combo pump. Hba1c 6.1 Sept 2017.  45 (6.3) April 2018.

© 2015 Patti Evans

Offline Alan

• Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey
Re: Helicobacter Pylori
« Reply #2 on: 01 November 2018, 08:18:50 PM »
As one having had Helicobacter Pylori and who also has GORD I sympathise. My HP was a few years ago but I don't recall it being as draconian as yours; basically a 28-day course of antibiotics. The post-treatment test was a breath test, not a stool sample.

I have been prescribed Nexium for my GORD but I try hard to minimise my chronic meds so only take it when I have an attack instead of daily as prescribed. Thankfully those seem to occur less often these days, partly because I deliberately eat slowly with small portions in the mouth.
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Slow Cooked Beef Brisket)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Surviving Long-haul Flights in Cattle Class)